Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Free Speech Fats Unite---trying to lose some lbs

Peach-head

Poster
So Covid and my sedentary lifestyle has increased my body fat to unsustainable levels. BTW COVID is just an excuse. I have always struggled with weight even while in the service and running 1/2 marathons (humble brag, GFY if you think it is easy) and have now committed to another lifestyle change....settle down faggits it's not that kinda lifestyle.

Wife and I are doing Isagenix again. Shakes, bars, veggies, and snacks. We have done it before and it worked well, but got lazy with following the plan, and I like dessert, and lots of booze.

Walk a minimum of 2.5 miles a day 6 days a week. The lord gets his day and so do I.

What do you do to keep the lbs off as you get over half a century?View attachment 8896View attachment 8897

When I want to cut down, I eat nothing but chicken and green beans. If I have my shit together, I coat chicken thighs in franks red hot Buffalo sauce, grill, and sprinkle with Toby chacheres. Cook a weeks worth at a time. If I don’t, I buy rotisserie chickens, pull the meat off half, shred it into a large bowl and dump in a can of green beans, juice and all. Do this and i promise you’ll lose weight. Eat as much as you want and nothing else but water.

If you eat out substitute steak and broccoli.

Vermin00

Poster
20lbs down this year, feel better.....one day eating capped at 1700-2000 calories, next day fast....ends up being 36hour fast to 12 hours eating....:very doable.....I do have skim milk and Splenda in my coffee.....I’m not perfect and if I was I’d be down further but it’s been good

316what

Poster
Founder
Here’s what worked for me: Nutrisystem and walking 3-5 miles per day.

I’ve never been one to cook so the Nutrisystem cost was easily cheaper than what I was spending and it taught me portion control. I didn’t follow the plan to the letter, but mainly 4 or 5 days a week. First time I went from 225 down to 197 and hit the wall…..5’11” tall.

Kept up the walking and tried to eat smarter and only went up to 210 max.

2nd time I used Nutrisystem I went from around 210 down to 178.

Thinking about another 2 month go since COVID gave me an excuse to me a lazy fkr again.

CBradSmith

Elite
Founder
When I want to cut down, I eat nothing but chicken and green beans. If I have my shit together, I coat chicken thighs in franks red hot Buffalo sauce, grill, and sprinkle with Toby chacheres. Cook a weeks worth at a time. If I don’t, I buy rotisserie chickens, pull the meat off half, shred it into a large bowl and dump in a can of green beans, juice and all. Do this and i promise you’ll lose weight. Eat as much as you want and nothing else but water.

Ohhhh yeahhhhhh.....

RHT 3

Elite
Started at about 248 butt naked approx 3 weeks ago .Been hitting the gym and treadmill and now down to 233. I can almost kinda see one of my abs trying to come through lol.

Stop eating carbs, eating late at night, and get that fat ass on the treadmill. Find your fat burning heart rate ( 220 - age x .7 ) and go to town.

Don't get discouraged if you drink some beer on the weekend. Weight will fluctuate. No biggie.

I'm 6'5" and my bulk days are over. I'm going for the Tyler Durden look these days ( which at 53 may be impossible lol).

spf84

Poster
I have a little bit of a gut I need to lose. I’m 6’2 190, I don’t really ever gain weight and eat fast food and drink beer every day.

TheGratefulReb

Neanderthal in Chief
Founder
Need to get back on a diet big time. Have gone on them before with great success (lost about 70 pounds.....8 years ago, its all back). It really doesn't matter how much you work out.....you have to diet and limit the calories. Easiest way to do this without having to eat anorexic sized portions is cutting out the starchy carbs. Its very hard.

Old Glory

Legendary
Founder
Cut down your portions. Most of the time we make our plates too big and eat more than we really need. It will suck for a couple of weeks but once your stomach gets used to it, not eating those extra calories will help you lose weight and then keep it off. Especially if you are walking and drinking shakes. Problem is your going to be hungry exercising. Keep grinding through it.
Learn to be okay with being hungry too. That’s part of the process. Find low calories snacks and veggies you can eat to help trick yourself into being less hungry. Sparkling water and black coffee also help me when I’m hungry.

AmericanViking

Legendary
Founder
So Covid and my sedentary lifestyle has increased my body fat to unsustainable levels. BTW COVID is just an excuse. I have always struggled with weight even while in the service and running 1/2 marathons (humble brag, GFY if you think it is easy) and have now committed to another lifestyle change....settle down faggits it's not that kinda lifestyle.

Wife and I are doing Isagenix again. Shakes, bars, veggies, and snacks. We have done it before and it worked well, but got lazy with following the plan, and I like dessert, and lots of booze.

Walk a minimum of 2.5 miles a day 6 days a week. The lord gets his day and so do I.

What do you do to keep the lbs off as you get over half a century?View attachment 8896View attachment 8897

That thing in green is a dude.

BluegrassPoke

Poster
Down 6 pounds in 2 days. It is keto with powders and pills to increase your metabolism. The morning you can put the powder as a smoothie or in your coffee. Take a morning snack and a pill. Lunch and a pill. After lunch a fruit punch packet. Dinner ans a chew. Before bed 2 pills. Should lose 15-30 pounds in eight days then continue keto diet.

TarCock29

Poster
I lost 25 pounds early last year and kept them off during the work from home scenario. WW is an inexpensive way to track your food and get suggestions for better eating choices. My biggest sacrifice was dairy products. I didn't need to give them up, but chose to so I could enjoy more of other foods.

Quatch$

Elite
Down 6 pounds in 2 days. It is keto with powders and pills to increase your metabolism. The morning you can put the powder as a smoothie or in your coffee. Take a morning snack and a pill. Lunch and a pill. After lunch a fruit punch packet. Dinner ans a chew. Before bed 2 pills. Should lose 15-30 pounds in eight days then continue keto diet.
So is this a lot of diarrhea? I have done ketone packets before and spray shit my guts out... which was awesome. But just wondering?

CBradSmith

Elite
Founder
Don't know if anybody mentioned it twt, but drawing a hard cutoff for eating and drinking is a good psychological practice. It also has benefits. For the month of March my cutoff is 8 every day but Friday.

spf84

Poster
Don't know if anybody mentioned it twt, but drawing a hard cutoff for eating and drinking is a good psychological practice. It also has benefits. For the month of March my cutoff is 8 every day but Friday.
Sorry for partying.

Chief_Trojan

Poster
Founder
In the same boat old pea. I weighed myself a few weeks back and saw 223 and about lost it. I’m 5’11”. I knew I had gained weight over the last year, stopped going to the gym thanks to covid...mom recovering from cancer moved in so I didn’t want to bring anything from the gym home. Then we started foster care and have lost any free time. After I weighed myself I told my wife that’s it, I’m hitting the gym 3x a week after work whether she likes it or not. We’ve also cut all alcohol during the week. No late night snacking and I’ve cut most sugar out of my diet...I’m down 6lbs in three weeks or so...just stick with it. Btw, if you want a gym buddy I go to Workout Anytime M/W/F at about 4:15pm...some homo.

GatorOK

Legendary
Founder
In the same boat old pea. I weighed myself a few weeks back and saw 223 and about lost it. I’m 5’11”. I knew I had gained weight over the last year, stopped going to the gym thanks to covid...mom recovering from cancer moved in so I didn’t want to bring anything from the gym home. Then we started foster care and have lost any free time. After I weighed myself I told my wife that’s it, I’m hitting the gym 3x a week after work whether she likes it or not. We’ve also cut all alcohol during the week. No late night snacking and I’ve cut most sugar out of my diet...I’m down 6lbs in three weeks or so...just stick with it. Btw, if you want a gym buddy I go to Workout Anytime M/W/F at about 4:15pm...some homo.
How is the scenery? I miss Golds Gym in Vegas.

croot_lord

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I'm getting in here a little bit late, but I thought I'd weigh in...see what I did there. You can ask @Croot_Overlord if you want but I know a decent bit about diet and exercise. I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I've applied everything I know and have gotten some good results. I've had a few people ask me for my input and the number one thing I can recommend is to track your calories. MyFitnessPal is amazing for doing just this. It even gives you a rough idea of how much you should be eating to lose or gain weight but to be honest it's kinda bull shit.

How many calories you need to achieve your goal is going to be different for everyone. But the number one factor when trying to gain or lose weight is your diet. There is no fucking way to out train a bad diet. You just can't do it. If you're tracking your calories though you will see real quick just how much you're taking in and will start to recognize just how much you are, or are not eating in a day. You can start to adjust how much you're taking in and make changes to your diet to start to gain or lose weight. Tracking your calories will also help to develop some discipline when it comes to your diet.

I know so many people that make radical changes in there diet and they start to see some success and then give up. They slip up once or twice and then eventually just say fuck it. If all you have to do though is write down in your phone what you eat then things get a lot easier to be consistent with. It's always on you and the app makes adding things to your diary very easy. You don't even have to make radical changes in what you are eating it just comes down to recording it.

TarCock29

Poster

On a similar note, bake chicken and/or vegetables after tossing them in a little bit of olive oil and some seasoning. I'm not saying do this at the same time, but same method for both. The prep time is around 15 minutes, bake time around 30-45. Add some potato if you need something more filling, but keep that portion low.

Crich73

Poster
My recommendation is keto. I did that for a while, and plateaued. Was frustrated so after a few weeks of no fat loss I mixed it up by having low carb, lower fat and higher protein. That made a big difference, however, what put me in a great spot was doing intermittent fasting while on keto. Would do that a couple times a week, like Monday, Wednesday and I was seriously happy with results.

I'm in my 40s, 6'1" got down to 170 with 10% body fat.

CBradSmith

Elite
Founder
How many calories you need to achieve your goal is going to be different for everyone. But the number one factor when trying to gain or lose weight is your diet. There is no fucking way to out train a bad diet. You just can't do it. If you're tracking your calories though you will see real quick just how much you're taking in and will start to recognize just how much you are, or are not eating in a day. You can start to adjust how much you're taking in and make changes to your diet to start to gain or lose weight. Tracking your calories will also help to develop some discipline when it comes to your diet.

Read this over and over and over and over and over and over....

I know so many people that make radical changes in there diet and they start to see some success and then give up. They slip up once or twice and then eventually just say fuck it. If all you have to do though is write down in your phone what you eat then things get a lot easier to be consistent with. It's always on you and the app makes adding things to your diary very easy. You don't even have to make radical changes in what you are eating it just comes down to recording it.

Read this, too, over and over and over and over and over...

There's no magic bullet. And 95% of people OVER think losing weight.

It's
  1. Know how much you're consuming each day (within 100 or so calories).
  2. Know how much you OUGHT to be consuming.
  3. Tweaking the discretionary eating/drinking to bring it under your daily needs.
  4. Profit.
Perfection isn't required. No nutrition label is giving you a 100% accurate count of calories, grams of protein, or whatever.

My practice isn't to record on a phone, though I have done that before. I generally carry a single notecard with my list of chores, things I want to complete, and other notes, as well as a running total of calories consumed that day.

I've also routinized some of my meals. 95% of my workday mornings (and probably 50% of my weekend mornings), I eat a Jimmy Dean Meat Lovers breakfast bowl with a squirt of sour cream and a handful of whatever the in-season berries are (black, blue...). I round up my calories to 600 or 650 (480 from the bowl) and feel full for several hours.

https://www.jimmydean.com/products/bowls/breakfast/meat-lovers-breakfast-bowl/

Joe Kings

Legendary
Founder
Cut down your portions. Most of the time we make our plates too big and eat more than we really need. It will suck for a couple of weeks but once your stomach gets used to it, not eating those extra calories will help you lose weight and then keep it off. Especially if you are walking and drinking shakes. Problem is your going to be hungry exercising. Keep grinding through it.
Do a 24hr fast on the sunday after the first week. Or any day. just do a 24 hour fast water only.

Joe Kings

Legendary
Founder
My recommendation is keto. I did that for a while, and plateaued. Was frustrated so after a few weeks of no fat loss I mixed it up by having low carb, lower fat and higher protein. That made a big difference, however, what put me in a great spot was doing intermittent fasting while on keto. Would do that a couple times a week, like Monday, Wednesday and I was seriously happy with results.

I'm in my 40s, 6'1" got down to 170 with 10% body fat.
Intermittent Fasting? Tell me about that. all day or just a meal?

CBradSmith

Elite
Founder
Do a 24hr fast on the sunday after the first week. Or any day. just do a 24 hour fast water only.
Fasts are way underrated and dont have to be overly difficult.

Eat your last thing Saturday at 6pm, coffee Sunday morning as an appetite suppressant, then by 1pm or so, your within 5 hours of 24 hours.

Frequently your hunger pangs will diminish by then as blood sugar normalizes, so if you're feeling ambitious, you shoot for Monday morning to break the fast instead of Sunday at 6. 24 hour fast becomes a 36 hour fast.

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder

Yuck.

Diets like these are why many people struggle to stick with it.

BluegrassPoke

Poster
There is truly not a one size fit all diet for everyone. I use to pay attention to calories. I am 50. I was eating a 1200-1500 calorie diet daily. A bowl of chicken soup has 230 calories but 29 carbs.

I put almond milk in my coffee. Snack on jerky, cottage cheese, celery, peanut butter, nuts and pickles.

Now I have flipped the script, I now count carbs and it has been a game changer. My metabolism is totaling changing. I did not have to give up my whiskey/bourbon either. For me, keto is the diet of choice for now.

Joe Kings

Legendary
Founder
Fasts are way underrated and dont have to be overly difficult.

Eat your last thing Saturday at 6pm, coffee Sunday morning as an appetite suppressant, then by 1pm or so, your within 5 hours of 24 hours.

Frequently your hunger pangs will diminish by then as blood sugar normalizes, so if you're feeling ambitious, you shoot for Monday morning to break the fast instead of Sunday at 6. 24 hour fast becomes a 36 hour fast.
Well this is exactly correct and how I approach it. I will fast if I need a reset as well.

Top Bottom