Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

For you golfers out there that love the game...

Viking

Legendary
Founder
In a prior life I owned a golf store. Way back when margins were decent. Anyhoo, went to the Cleveland party at the PGA show in Orlando back in 2001 when they introduced their new wedge line. They had Byron Nelson on staff and he showed up to talk about the short game. After the talk I took my complimentary new wedge up to him and shook his hand and had him sign the face of the wedge. I ended up giving it to my little brother. BTW, I forget how old Byron was at the time but it was late and he asnwered every question with grace and style. Huge freaking meat hooks on that man. Great short game and said grip it so light the club could almost fall out of your hands. A pro-tip from a pro. SKOL!

Cre8ive

Shaping the Future of Reality
Founder
In a prior life I owned a golf store. Way back when margins were decent. Anyhoo, went to the Cleveland party at the PGA show in Orlando back in 2001 when they introduced their new wedge line. They had Byron Nelson on staff and he showed up to talk about the short game. After the talk I took my complimentary new wedge up to him and shook his hand and had him sign the face of the wedge. I ended up giving it to my little brother. BTW, I forget how old Byron was at the time but it was late and he asnwered every question with grace and style. Huge freaking meat hooks on that man. Great short game and said grip it so light the club could almost fall out of your hands. A pro-tip from a pro. SKOL!
Sam Snead was the head pro at a fabulous and famous resort called the Greenbrier. The Greenbrier is a luxury resort located in the Allegheny Mountains near White Sulphur Springs in Greenbrier County, West Virginia. I stayed a week in a cottage at the Greenbrier on last my honeymoon (with my 3rd wife and my last!)

I called the pro shop about getting a lesson with Mr. Snead. They said he was not doing lessons anymore but they did offer to give me his daughters number.

I called her and told her about my towering respect for Sam Snead and how to me, he was one of the greatest golfers of all time. I asked her to please ask Sam about a one hour lesson. She called me back in about an hour and said Sam would love to give me a lesson. I was uber excited. The lesson was the next day.

I met him in the pro shop prior to the lesson. He was pushing 80. We shook hands and he had a grip like a steel vice - I was sincerely taken aback by the strength he still had. Needless to say the lesson was the fastest hour of my life, but the things he told me I will never forget.

One tip was to always hold my club like a had a little bird in my hands. I immediately got it and I immediately shaved 3 to 5 strokes of my game per round. My handicap at the time was 2. I started playing when I was 10 and I am still hitting the course all I can. I am 68 and can still shoot in the 70's.

Golf to me is the greatest of all athletic challenges. The course is as it is. The ground does not move. The course stays still. How you play golf is all in your head. Sure, in match play, you sometimes have to adjust your game a bit, but in the end, it's just you, the course and that 6" between your ears.

Unknown-2.jpegUnknown-3.jpeg

And yes, that is Sam showing off his athletic prowess. Many said he had the best natural swing in golf. I agree.

Last edited:

denn

Legendary
Founder
Sam Snead was the head pro at a fabulous and famous resort called the Greenbrier. The Greenbrier is a luxury resort located in the Allegheny Mountains near White Sulphur Springs in Greenbrier County, West Virginia,I stayed a week there on my honeymoon.

I called the pro shop about getting a lesson with Mr. Snead. They said he was not doing lessons anymore but they did offer to give me his daughters number.

I called her and told her about my towering respect for Sam Snead and how to me, he was one of the greatest golfers of all time. I asked her to please ask Sam about a one hour lesson. She called me back in about an hour and said Sam would love to give me a lesson. I was uber excited. The lesson was the next day.

I met him in the pro shop prior to the lesson. He was pushing 80. We shook hands and he had a grip like a steel vice - I was sincerely taken aback by the strength he still had. Needless to say the lesson was the fastest hour of my life, but the things he told me I will never forget.

One tip was to always hold my club like a had a little bird in my hands. I immediately got it and I immediately shaved 3 to 5 strokes of my game per round. My handicap at the time was 2. I started playing when I was 10 and I am still hitting the course all I can. I am 68 and can still shoot in the 70's.

Golf to me is the greatest of all athletic challenges. The course is as it is. The ground does not move. The course stays still. How you play golf is all in your head. Sure, in match play, you sometimes have to adjust your game a bit, but in the end, it's just you, the course and that 6" between your ears.

View attachment 49345View attachment 49346

And yes, that is Sam showing off his athletic prowess. Many said he had the best natural swing in golf. I agree.
Sam Snead's tempo is one that every single golfer, regardless of what level they are playing at, should emulate.

I am currently a director of golf and the other pro I work with (former UGA golfer and someone who has won over 50 times as a pro worldwide) is as big a supporter of Ben Hogan and his approach to the swing as I know of. He is actually my coach now and wish he would have been with me when I was playing competitively. Just a few things from him/Hogan and my ball striking is the best it has ever been and I am 46 years old.

Cre8ive

Founder
Sam Snead's tempo is one that every single golfer, regardless of what level they are playing at, should emulate.

I am currently a director of golf and the other pro I work with (former UGA golfer and someone who has won over 50 times as a pro worldwide) is as big a supporter of Ben Hogan and his approach to the swing as I know of. He is actually my coach now and wish he would have been with me when I was playing competitively. Just a few things from him/Hogan and my ball striking is the best it has ever been and I am 46 years old.
Thanks for sharing - you are the real deal. It is amazing when a golf pro of a golf genius tells you things that you would never discover on your own.

They say to even consider turning pro you have to be able to beat the best player at your club by at least 10 strokes. i did not appreciate that axiom until i got to play a round with a young pro named Spike McCroy (his one victory was the B.C. Open).

Never in my life had I witnessed such a perfect swing and a mastery of ball flight, distance and to say the least - putting. Spike was 8 under on the day. He played from the tips at our country club what made the course just un 7000 yards. He never missed a fairway. He was always on par 5's in two, except for one - he chipped up to the hold and the ball stuck like a dart about 3 feet from the cup. He tapped in for birdie. He sank putts all day from 10, 15 and 20 feet like he was taping them in from 3 feet. It was a treat to witness someone who totally controlled the ball.

Spike was about 175 pounds, around 5'10" tall but he consistently hit his driver 300 yards and more. It was 18 holes I will never forget.

denn

Legendary
Founder
Thanks for sharing - you are the real deal. It is amazing when a golf pro of a golf genius tells you things that you would never discover on your own.

They say to even consider turning pro you have to be able to beat the best player at your club by at least 10 strokes. i did not appreciate that axiom until i got to play a round with a young pro named Spike McCroy (his one victory was the B.C. Open).

Never in my life had I witnessed such a perfect swing and a mastery of ball flight, distance and to say the least - putting. Spike was 8 under on the day. He played from the tips at our country club what made the course just un 7000 yards. He never missed a fairway. He was always on par 5's in two, except for one - he chipped up to the hold and the ball stuck like a dart about 3 feet from the cup. He tapped in for birdie. He sank putts all day from 10, 15 and 20 feet like he was taping them in from 3 feet. It was a treat to witness someone who totally controlled the ball.

Spike was about 175 pounds, around 5'10" tall but he consistently hit his driver 300 yards and more. It was 18 holes I will never forget.
I know exactly who McCroy is. Hell of a player! Though if you win a tour event, you are a .01%er. Your second paragraph sums up what it takes to be a touring pro. If you aren't beating club amateurs by a bunch, you don't have a chance playing for a living. Sure good am's could be plus handicaps but they still can't match up. The pro I am working with is in his mid 60's and still crushing dudes out here who are very good amateur level players and significantly younger than he is.

Cre8ive

Founder
I know exactly who McCroy is. Hell of a player! Though if you win a tour event, you are a .01%er. Your second paragraph sums up what it takes to be a touring pro. If you aren't beating club amateurs by a bunch, you don't have a chance playing for a living. Sure good am's could be plus handicaps but they still can't match up. The pro I am working with is in his mid 60's and still crushing dudes out here who are very good amateur level players and significantly younger than he is.
That's cool that you know Spike. One hell of a nice man too. I know what you mean about "younger seniors." My brother Tim is 64 and he can still drive the ball 300+. But unlike Tim, my brother Jeff and I were the ones who loved to try and cut the corner, hit through a hole in the trees, slice the ball around a hard right fairway. In other words play for glory, not for low score. We are the swashbuckler types!

Tim is a technician. He will plan the length of the his tee shot in order to have the best club into a green. He still shoots in the low 70's and he ALWAYS manages to take money from Jeff and I. Go figure. But we still love to play dangerous. Tim plays to win and he most always does. He was a three time club champion at Valley Hill where Spike played.

Last edited:

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Davis love iii?

Latest posts

Top Bottom