Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Customer flabbergasted that she had to pay a 3.5% surcharge on her bill

Jakethedog

Legendary
Founder
https://www.dailydot.com/irl/surcharge-for-healthcare/?amp

Customer says brunch bill featured a 3.5% surcharge so servers can have healthcare​

'They really making us pay their employees a livable wage AND their insurance.'​

“I recently found another example of why I hate living in the U.S.,” TikToker @killjill___ says in a recent video.

In her video, she shares how when she went out to brunch with friends, she noticed a surcharge was added to their bill that read: “Staff benefits (3.50%).” She says she asked a waitress the reason for the charge and found out it was for employees’ healthcare.

“I was flabbergasted,” @killjill___ said. “So you’re telling me every two weeks, it’s money taken out of my check to pay for my health insurance just so when I go to the doctor I still [have to] pay them more money to treat me, and then pay more money to get my meds from the pharmacy. And now companies are allowed to put the burden for paying for their employees healthcare on customers? Like what?”

These young kids have no idea how any of this works

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
The local Dollar General's added a charge for some charity they support onto customer's bills last year. It was on the pad used to swipe your credit card. If you didn't push the no button it was automatically added.

In Texas they are now adding credit card processing fees to bills.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder

Customer says brunch bill featured a 3.5% surcharge so servers can have healthcare​

'They really making us pay their employees a livable wage AND their insurance.'​

“I recently found another example of why I hate living in the U.S.,” TikToker @killjill___ says in a recent video.

In her video, she shares how when she went out to brunch with friends, she noticed a surcharge was added to their bill that read: “Staff benefits (3.50%).” She says she asked a waitress the reason for the charge and found out it was for employees’ healthcare.

“I was flabbergasted,” @killjill___ said. “So you’re telling me every two weeks, it’s money taken out of my check to pay for my health insurance just so when I go to the doctor I still [have to] pay them more money to treat me, and then pay more money to get my meds from the pharmacy. And now companies are allowed to put the burden for paying for their employees healthcare on customers? Like what?”

Why not just raise their prices?

Its just a price increase in disguise. Would subtract 3.5% from the tip and never go back.

Rube Reaper

Elite

Its just a price increase in disguise. Would subtract 3.5% from the tip and never go back.
Because you would think people would want to take care of other people especially if the business is transparent about where that money is going.

To the point though we wouldn’t have this problem if America just made healthcare a right and went single payer.

Jakethedog

Legendary
Founder
Because you would think people would want to take care of other people especially if the business is transparent about where that money is going.

To the point though we wouldn’t have this problem if America just made healthcare a right and went single payer.

Seems like a lot of this would be solved if we just had some free labor

BurntJ

B2B Champ/ Feels Great to be King!
Founder

I’d be too if I had to pay this……what did they call it? Tax? 🤣

We’re all fucked when our kids generation is in charge……pretty sure they will stop paying for old folks homes and have us killed/homeless…..bc they will save a fuckin dollar (or can take all ours….)

SAD…..FML!

😂

Also, anyone with kids……honestly, do you trust they will care for you?

My oldest (and smartest) will be like fuckallthat.gif and not care, luckily my youngest will take care of us…..🤞

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder

"I recently found another example of why I hate living in the U.S."....

Please move. Please move. Please move.

imprimis

Legendary
Founder

Could it be an accounting trick? If they can call it a health care charge would that be taxed as sales? Bring in extra revenue but not have to pay taxes on it and spend it as an expense. Doesn't appear on the books as sales but does get written off as an expense.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Could it be an accounting trick? If they can call it a health care charge would that be taxed as sales? Bring in extra revenue but not have to pay taxes on it and spend it as an expense. Doesn't appear on the books as sales but does get written off as an expense.
Not buying it.

I'll take my business elsewhere

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
The local Dollar General's added a charge for some charity they support onto customer's bills last year. It was on the pad used to swipe your credit card. If you didn't push the no button it was automatically added.

In Texas they are now adding credit card processing fees to bills.
Our processor charges 4% for cc nothing for debit.
Wtf should I pay 3%?

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
It used to be illegal to add CC fees to bills. Only government offices were allowed to do that. It changed about 3 years ago after a lawsuit. Now anyone can.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
I agree. Just raise prices 5% as to pad for the next inevitable price. It was a gimmick to show the business man's tax increase

Top Bottom