Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hurricane Alley..............

This is not aimed to be a heartless post.

It seems like every couple of years, a Hurricane comes out and destroys vast areas in the gulf and Atlantic seaboard. Question is, does it seems reasonable to continue for these areas to be rebuilt? Or should they be built to a high standard to withstand the natural weather in the area?

Understand, that at one time, I was thinking about moving out to the Outer banks of NC. In speaking with the local realtors i found out that homeowners insurance and business property insurance is no more than my current property, way way inland. I asked, "how can this be".......the reply was, insurance is regulated and there fore they cannot charge the residents of the Outer Banks for anymore than rebuilding costs. They do not take into consideration Hurricanes for example, or that the Outer Banks have been eroding for years and 100's of millions have to be spent in repair each year, no matter if there is a Hurricane or not. Effectively, the only industry in the Outer Banks is fishing and tourism. Fishing is good for everyone and is a good cause, but tourism? I think not. Seems like a big waste of someone else's money.

With some more investigation, I find that the bill is fit by everyone collectively. In other words, the home owner in Las Vegas, NV, which never has any natural disasters such as hurricanes or tornadoes, fits the bill in their insurance bills to rebuild their areas.

Should this continue?

fschmidt

Poster
Thank God for hurricanes and tornadoes, God's free cleaning service. They clean up the disgusting low-quality construction of modern scum. Contrast Florida with Cancun. Cancun gets worse hurricanes but buildings are built with cement, so hurricanes just mean a few broken windows.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Thank God for hurricanes and tornadoes, God's free cleaning service. They clean up the disgusting low-quality construction of modern scum. Contrast Florida with Cancun. Cancun gets worse hurricanes but buildings are built with cement, so hurricanes just mean a few broken windows.

he-is-right-you-know-morgan-freeman.gif

champsballs

Elite
Founder

Same goes for tornado alley

With all due respect, fuck both of you.
There’s a few minute warning for a tornado and a few day warning for a hurricane. I’ve seen brand new houses that were ripped clean off their foundation in a matter of seconds. The only thing you can do is pray

AmericanViking

Legendary
Founder
There’s a few minute warning for a tornado and a few day warning for a hurricane. I’ve seen brand new houses that were ripped clean off their foundation in a matter of seconds. The only thing you can do is pray

I grew up in tornado alley. It’s true that construction in these areas could be greatly improved. But you are right about say an F5. The one in Moore ripped small shelters in garage concrete out like a kid throwing a hot wheel car across the room. Nothing can be done about that. Nothing.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
This is not aimed to be a heartless post.

It seems like every couple of years, a Hurricane comes out and destroys vast areas in the gulf and Atlantic seaboard. Question is, does it seems reasonable to continue for these areas to be rebuilt? Or should they be built to a high standard to withstand the natural weather in the area?

Understand, that at one time, I was thinking about moving out to the Outer banks of NC. In speaking with the local realtors i found out that homeowners insurance and business property insurance is no more than my current property, way way inland. I asked, "how can this be".......the reply was, insurance is regulated and there fore they cannot charge the residents of the Outer Banks for anymore than rebuilding costs. They do not take into consideration Hurricanes for example, or that the Outer Banks have been eroding for years and 100's of millions have to be spent in repair each year, no matter if there is a Hurricane or not. Effectively, the only industry in the Outer Banks is fishing and tourism. Fishing is good for everyone and is a good cause, but tourism? I think not. Seems like a big waste of someone else's money.

With some more investigation, I find that the bill is fit by everyone collectively. In other words, the home owner in Las Vegas, NV, which never has any natural disasters such as hurricanes or tornadoes, fits the bill in their insurance bills to rebuild their areas.

Should this continue?
We should all be moved forcibly to live in cities. No more single family homes or non corporate farming.
The only way insurance works is when it is spread over vast amounts of people who do need it and those who do. I can guarantee coastal rates are higher than Vegas rates. Make a claim and your costs will skyrocket. Go read how insurance works. It'll help you out.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
You are a fucking retard. All Our hotels and many house are concrete reinforced w deformed bars. Go to fucking Mexico you fucking idiot. The amount of stupidity you are capable of having is astounding

You are a fucking retard. All Our hotels and many house are concrete reinforced w deformed bars. Go to fucking Mexico you fucking idiot. The amount of stupidity you are capable of having is astounding
Well, one thing that I have noticed, is there are vast trailer parks in Florida. Which are easily destroyed by Hurricanes.

There is a difference between the two, agreed. tornados are generally small and are concentrated to a point, hurricanes are huge and commonly hit the same areas. Tornadoes would be more like an occurance than an inevitability

I grew up in tornado alley. It’s true that construction in these areas could be greatly improved. But you are right about say an F5. The one in Moore ripped small shelters in garage concrete out like a kid throwing a hot wheel car across the room. Nothing can be done about that. Nothing.
House could be built underground, that would stop the issue. Agreed that nothing standing can reasonably withstand an f5 or 3 for that matter.

We should all be moved forcibly to live in cities. No more single family homes or non corporate farming.
The only way insurance works is when it is spread over vast amounts of people who do need it and those who do. I can guarantee coastal rates are higher than Vegas rates. Make a claim and your costs will skyrocket. Go read how insurance works. It'll help you out.
Coastal rates are not higher, I almost moved to Avon. Understand I am in NC, not is Vegas, was using it as an example of an area that never has a natural disaster.......Maybe big hail once every five years, rain once a year, snows once every five, maybe.

Thassss rassssisssss! The correct term, is "spoda's" because they ain't spoda be doin whatever it is they doin

Also acceptable...scoobies, spooks, and Mondays (because everyone hates Mondays)
For the record, I am not a racist, but a realist. Stereotypes are rooted in truth, although exagerrated. Grew up very diverse. They are some pretty bad whiteys also, which I hate even more

Mr.Fitzwell

Legendary
For the record, I am not a racist, but a realist. Stereotypes are rooted in truth, although exagerrated. Grew up very diverse. They are some pretty bad whiteys also, which I hate even more
Cannot agree with you more, bud...spot on...I'm not racist either, but I'll be damned if some shit ain't funny af regardless lol

Top Bottom