Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Build fire pit or outside brick oven?

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
I am reclaiming my yard from the swamp. In the next week or so I will have moved 64 yards of fill and 16 yards of top soil.
Soon as done i want to build a boardwalk around the perimeter.
Then either a brick oven for outside cooking or a fire pit.
Anyone have any other ideas for me?
I once put in a putting green but I dont want to do that again

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
I'd go with brick oven/bbq area bricked up. About to be warm for 7 months or so anyway...if you want a fire pit next winter, buy or build a cheap one then. The oven seems like the bigger job, go ahead and get it done imo.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
I'd go with brick oven/bbq area bricked up. About to be warm for 7 months or so anyway...if you want a fire pit next winter, buy or build a cheap one then. The oven seems like the bigger job, go ahead and get it done imo.
I use a burn barrel now but I kind of agree w you.I just want my new place to be what i want

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Agree, I like the brick oven idea too. You could use it for a heat source and as long as its well done it could look really nice

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Agree, I like the brick oven idea too. You could use it for a heat source and as long as its well done it could look really nice
Ive made the shell for a half dozen of people and will pull from their good ideas. I need to find somewhere to buy refractory bricks though

TJHall1

Legendary
Fire pit. That brick oven will be used early and often, and then barely ever after that. You can cook on a fire pit, and they even sell cheap deals to act as a brick oven over a fire pit.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
I am reclaiming my yard from the swamp. In the next week or so I will have moved 64 yards of fill and 16 yards of top soil.
Soon as done i want to build a boardwalk around the perimeter.
Then either a brick oven for outside cooking or a fire pit.
Anyone have any other ideas for me?
I once put in a putting green but I dont want to do that again
Im planning on building a smoker/grill made mostly of landscaping blocks. Im still trying to figure out how I want to do the cooking area... either cannibalize a smoker/grill or just use stone on the whole thing... Probably gonna do stone for the whole thing so it lasts forever. but its past my skill level for now.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Im planning on building a smoker/grill made mostly of landscaping blocks. Im still trying to figure out how I want to do the cooking area... either cannibalize a smoker/grill or just use stone on the whole thing... Probably gonna do stone for the whole thing so it lasts forever. but its past my skill level for now.
Itbis surprisingly easy. Pull up youtube.

CBradSmith

Elite
Founder
For you city dwellers, does a brick oven or fireplace (I'm assuming this is a detached patio) fall under any codes that you municipality will get you on?

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
For you city dwellers, does a brick oven or fireplace (I'm assuming this is a detached patio) fall under any codes that you municipality will get you on?
Im in the county so no but even when iived in the city i would not have permitted it. As long as it isnt attached to the ground it is considered movable. I plan to make it in a fashion you could pick it up w a lull

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
I built this a few years ago.
View attachment 13850
Nice. I was thinking something like this

R7f36e90823f0be6b76b2eda3f9a85392

How did you do the dome part? Was it hard in a artistic way?

Bighub1

Poster
Founder
I used an arm that sat in the center and it rotated and held the dome shape. I bought a kit from Melbourne firebrick company. He shipped it to middle of America for $400 from Australia???

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
I used an arm that sat in the center and it rotated and held the dome shape. I bought a kit from Melbourne firebrick company. He shipped it to middle of America for $400 from Australia???
Damn that is what I need. I wasnt looking to spend that much but it looks amazing

Bighub1

Poster
Founder
Damn that is what I need. I wasnt looking to spend that much but it looks amazing
It was a lot of work, but fun. Took a full summer to accomplish. If you need anything, I have lots of pictures. If I had to do it over again, I would go with a forno bravo, pre-built and probably a wash by the time you buy supplies and do the work. I like building things so it was a great project.

Top Bottom