Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Best novel / series you've read...

Zach10

Poster
I’m pretty lame in that my answer would probably be Lord of the Rings, but it’s the GOAT in my mind.

Started Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett this week. It was strongly recommended
I liked the first book but never tried the others. I tried his series in the 20th century but didn’t love it.

I’d say Game of Thrones or Stormlight Archive. Maybe Malazan: Book of the Fallen.

Astragalus

Poster
Founder
I would second the Lord of the Rings trilogy as the GOAT. The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan and the Dark Tower series by Stephen King would be close seconds for me, but I thought the endings for both of those series were subpar. D J Molles is a fantastic new author who has a series called The Remaining. It’s one of the best series I’ve ever read. There’s a follow-on series still in progress which has been equally good so far. I highly recommend.

Tash123

Poster
Founder
Clancy was great on that series. Despite the screwed up way he wrote the order of the books I also like McMurtry following up Lonesome Dove.= Last Picture show series was not bad until the last book imo.
What do you mean about the order?

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
Really liking Gentlemen Bastards right now. I don't know if its goat as im only into book 2 but I really like it so far and normally I get into series slowly.

txag79

Poster
Founder
Wool series by Hugh Howey was really good. In addition to what has been named, loved Warded Man series, IFL as mind is foggy right now.

d-tiger45

I run shit around here
Founder
Robert B Parker
Appaloosa was made into a movie: the whole series is grate

Astragalus

Poster
Founder
The Bosch and Jack Reacher series are pretty good. Another less known one is The Mountain Man series, about zombies.
If you liked Mountain Man, you’d like the Arisen series by Michael Fuchs. Also the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot series by W J Lundy and The Remaining by D J Molles. All are about zombies/end of the world. Well written and edge of your seat stuff.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
Are they making a WoT show? I hadn’t heard. If they are, let’s hope it’s on par with GoT and not that awful Dark Tower movie. That was an abomination.
Amazon Prime. They are sjw'ing the cast a bit but it still sounds like they are gonna stick to the story.

Rosamund Pike is playing Moraine.... So that is a homerun to me. Mat, Rand and Perrin... I don't know those actors so just have to wait.

Jakethedog

Legendary
Founder
Are they making a WoT show? I hadn’t heard. If they are, let’s hope it’s on par with GoT and not that awful Dark Tower movie. That was an abomination.

It's going to be on Amazon Prime. Bezos wants it to be his Game of Thrones so they're throwing a huge budget towards it.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertain...ime-release-date-cast-plot-amazon-prime-video

https://dragonmount.com/tv/index/

TitleWriter(s)Director(s)
101: LeavetakingRafe JudkinsUta Briesewitz
102: Shadow's WaitingAmanda Kate ShumanUta Briesewitz
103: A Place of SafetyPaul Clarkson & Michael ClarksonWayne Yip
104: The Dragon RebornDave HillWayne Yip
105: Blood Calls BloodCeline SongSalli Richardson Whitfield
106: The Flame of Tar ValonJustine Juel GillmerSalli Richardson Whitfield
107: Title unknownWriter(s) unknownCiaran Donnelly
108: Title unknownWriter(s) unknownCiaran Donnelly

Jakethedog

Legendary
Founder
Amazon Prime. They are sjw'ing the cast a bit but it still sounds like they are gonna stick to the story.

Rosamund Pike is playing Moraine.... So that is a homerun to me. Mat, Rand and Perrin... I don't know those actors so just have to wait.

Lord Bolton is playing Tam al'Thor

U7ZcLYkz1YM5iP1MCSUfJTj4Fa7qmo7W1PJQLHWTf5dPq8QgUK9hQZcB_27Fd-qegNif6CRApUgV6BIRC9AoQ2K3dCPW8nScOyOcbyQaRL-HEqpkrTeC0gu6X8xKZaVbSLCclW9S6V4r35o

Baloo

Poster
Founder
Pillars of the Earth is very well done and up there with the best I've read.

I Am Pilgrim, by Terry Hayes is a great page turner that will get your attention.

Pineapple

Legendary
I’m pretty lame in that my answer would probably be Lord of the Rings, but it’s the GOAT in my mind.

Started Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett this week. It was strongly recommended
Lord of the Rings has impacted many people and led them to following Christ. It’s an amazing series for the Kingdom.

Nothing lame about it.

Best novel is - For Whom the Bell Tolls or To Kill A Mockingbird. Tied for me.

Best series is the above.

Top Bottom