Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Are you afraid of heights?

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder
Call me a pansie if you will gents but I can’t make it up past 3 rungs of a ladder.
Me getting up steps into a first floor attic can cause issues
Just getting on the roof does it for me. My uncle was in a coma for a month after he fell backwards off a ladder from only a couple steps up.

Oddly enough that's why I love Rollercoasters. Makes me feel alive 🐸

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
It's funny I am scared to death of heights but I used to repel off of condo's for a living doing waterproofing and restoration, anywhere from 5-25 story buildings. If you put a harness and a lanyard on me I will tap dance on a parapet wall 20 story's in the air but take that thing off me and I will piss my pants 5 flights up looking over the edge of a flat roof.

Something about knowing I had a safety net if I fell made it so it didn't bother me a bit.

rode one of these except mine was made from a tractors seat so was way more comfortable

1622161915285.jpeg

Nas

Poster
Just getting on the roof does it for me. My uncle was in a coma for a month after he fell backwards off a ladder from only a couple steps up.

Oddly enough that's why I love Rollercoasters. Makes me feel alive 🐸
That's a good point. Certain death heights don't bug me as much, because you just die. Less than that and you have to deal with the physical and psychological issues after.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
It's funny I am scared to death of heights but I used to repel off of condo's for a living doing waterproofing and restoration, anywhere from 5-25 story buildings. If you put a harness and a lanyard on me I will tap dance on a parapet wall 20 story's in the air but take that thing off me and I will piss my pants 5 flights up looking over the edge of a flat roof.

Something about knowing I had a safety net if I fell made it so it didn't bother me a bit.

rode one of these except mine was made from a tractors seat so was way more comfortable

View attachment 23676
You got balls of steel

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Terrified of being near any ledge above about 20 feet. Don't even like looking up at tall buildings from the sidewalk below, get a bit of vertigo. Heights scare the fuck out of me, but oddly not once you get high enough, like in a plane. Skydived once and wasn't scared as much as excited.

RJ2kWJ

Elite
Founder
Nope, got my class A skydiving license and was an army airborne school instructor for 2 years. Have over 50 static line jumps and about 20 free falls. BUT, I’m going snapper fishing tomorrow and am scared to DEATH of the open ocean. RIP @Chris Farley (again)
With Chris but 2200+ jumps and zero idea how many coasters and other random shit.

Still can’t climb a ladder though. Zero idea why.

skramer100

Elite
Founder
Terrified. I will do it for the experience because the views are amazing but I am sweating the entire time. Took the dumb picture on top of Sears Tower in that section that extends from building, bitch took the picture and said hang on lets get one more. I was already in the elevator on the way down.

lhpvol

Poster
I've never been afraid of heights and I've done some stupid stuff similar to OP in my younger days. But I have noticed as I have gotten older that I get a little queasy feeling if I approach a ledge with nothing around me. If I have something to hold onto, or even just a small wall, no issue. It doesnt matter if the "safety" is more perceived than real. But if I'm in the open, like walking a walkboard, I get that little feeling in the pit. Can still do it, but I think about it more than I used to.

Zgdaf

Elite
Founder
I am now.. I used not to be, until I was a passenger in a car in Colorado mountains about 10 years ago and the driver not paying attention swerved into oncoming traffic, swerved back, but the 500 foot drop off gave me ptsd.
A few weeks ago I was about 80 feet high on the Missouri bluffs, about 3 feet from the edge and the adrenaline started pumping... sucked because I couldn’t enjoy the view.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Free climbing, anyone?

5ebe996e2399063661dc278644a41439.jpg

😱😱😱

Cre8ive

Shaping the Future of Reality
Founder
Free climbing, anyone?

5ebe996e2399063661dc278644a41439.jpg

😱😱😱
Totally awesome! I can only imagine how amazing that dude felt standing there like that.When you can "go beyond" like that guy you become a member of an extremely exclusive club of adrenaline junkies.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Totally awesome! I can only imagine how amazing that dude felt standing there like that.When you can "go beyond" like that guy you become a member of an extremely exclusive club of adrenaline junkies.

They hooked him up to something measuring brain activity and ran some experiments once. No surprise, they learned the part of your brain that should be feeling fear during stuff like this pretty much doesn't exist on Honnold.

He told a great story about free-climbing and forgetting his bag of chalk. You can't go back down when free climbing, so he had to go on without it. About halfway up, he passed some people climbing with ropes. He asked for, and borrowed a bag of chalk, then continued on to the top, leaving their bag for them at the summit. Lmfao, cannot imagine those climbers faces when that happened, and what a hell of a story they got that day!

Nas

Poster
Terrified. I will do it for the experience because the views are amazing but I am sweating the entire time. Took the dumb picture on top of Sears Tower in that section that extends from building, bitch took the picture and said hang on lets get one more. I was already in the elevator on the way down.
When I was in the 6th grade I did the same thing on one of the world trade towers. Fuckers had nets to catch people and debris a floor below. Made me sick to my stomach.
Many years later I drunkenly got on that ghost walk in Vegas. Ruined me for life. Still get the chills and sweats when I think of dream about it.

tgsio

Legendary
Founder
For myself? Nope. I'll jump off anything, perfectly comfy with any height. Stratosphere jump was pretty frigging cool (Tim Duncan pussed out and had to walk back down. Proud to say there was a little shit talking and he took it well). Promised my son I'll skydive with him for his 18th birthday. (Husband is less than thrilled, but it's happening in 15 months. I promised).

That said, I do freak out if my kids are anywhere near a mildly (read: not) dangerous height... imagine my joy watching my girl dive, especially 10m.

I know it's weird and illogical. They're in no more danger than I have ever been and will be again. But still...

Last edited:

tgsio

Legendary
Founder
Not really heights except when I’m on a bridge.
For some reason bridges freak me out.
My daughter hates the Tampa bridge. She's convinced it's going to collapse one day while she's at the top. Here's the thing. She's more freaked out that it will collapse and sharks will swarn in and feast on her body. I laughed and had to point out that in this ridiculous scenario, she would never get to meet the sharks. She'd be obliterated before she ever hit the water.

My logical argument did not make it better.

MVTPatriot

Elite
Founder
My daughter hates the Tampa bridge. She's convinced it's going to collapse one day while she's at the top. Here's the thing. She's more freaked out that it will collapse and sharks will swarn in and feast on her body. I laughed and had to point out that in this ridiculous scenario, she would never get to meet the sharks. She'd be obliterated before she ever hit the water.

My logical argument did not make it better.

When we lived in Tampa, my next door neighbor, who's so afraid of heights he got stuck on his ladder literally 4 feet in the air, jumped off the Skyway Bridge one Dec. No one, including his wife, expected it. Didn't know anything was troubling him.

Top Bottom