Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Workout bros

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
So I worked out most of the last year doing CrossFit type stuff in my garage - maybe three days a week. I’ve completely slacked off over the last month and and eaten a diet that is majority sugar.

I started working out again this week and main, I feel completely fucking out of shape. I’m mid thirties now, but I’m the past I’ve been able to miss a few weeks and come back pretty strong.

Am I being a pussy, is it my diet, or is it my age? It’s a strength and cardio problem right now - maybe it will come back quick, but I feel like I haven’t worked out in a year or more.

Old Glory

Legendary
Founder
Probably a combination of everything. If you've had more stress in your life that certainly doesn't help your performance in the gym either.

I lost a good amount of strength over the past year with COVID and such so I've just shifted my workouts to more bodybuilding type work (also cutting now) so that I don't have to worry so much about the weight on the bar, I can lift a lot less and just slow the movements way down to focus on the muscle group itself rather than trying to lift as much as possible.

Consistently good is better than occasional perfection. Just keep doing what you're doing, make sure you enjoy it (huge part) and take it one day at a time.

Quatch$

Elite
Here’s my thing. I lost over 70 lbs (5’10” and 250 down to 170) over the course of about a year or so. Which was good in the fact that I wasn’t a fat anymore, but awful in that I did it mostly through not eating. So I lost all strength and feel like a pussy. I’ve recently started to weight train again but with that, you need to consume calories and now I have this irrational fear that I’m gonna gain weight and not through mass. I’d love to be 180 and good lean muscle, but I know my body type and it’s either gotta be a skinny fat weakling, or a fat fuck that’s fat strong.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Here’s my thing. I lost over 70 lbs (5’10” and 250 down to 170) over the course of about a year or so. Which was good in the fact that I wasn’t a fat anymore, but awful in that I did it mostly through not eating. So I lost all strength and feel like a pussy. I’ve recently started to weight train again but with that, you need to consume calories and now I have this irrational fear that I’m gonna gain weight and not through mass. I’d love to be 180 and good lean muscle, but I know my body type and it’s either gotta be a skinny fat weakling, or a fat fuck that’s fat strong.
Yeah I’m the fat fuck with man tits that’s pretty strong usually, but man I have been demoralized by how weak I’ve felt this week. I do enjoy working out a lot though and have always been consistent with it. Never ever been able to figure out diet though

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Probably a combination of everything. If you've had more stress in your life that certainly doesn't help your performance in the gym either.

I lost a good amount of strength over the past year with COVID and such so I've just shifted my workouts to more bodybuilding type work (also cutting now) so that I don't have to worry so much about the weight on the bar, I can lift a lot less and just slow the movements way down to focus on the muscle group itself rather than trying to lift as much as possible.

Consistently good is better than occasional perfection. Just keep doing what you're doing, make sure you enjoy it (huge part) and take it one day at a time.
Definitely was under stress getting this forum off the ground, but mainly cause I put too much pressure on myself.

Just having fun with it now and the plan and processes are coming together slowly

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
You know, also I had been taking creatine daily before and hadn’t started that back, so I bet that has some to do with my strength

Chris Farley

Misunderstood lurker
Founder
I haven’t lifted or ran much at all since COVID. I feel like a slob. However comma, I was at my heaviest I’ve ever been in August at 278. I’ve lost 33 lbs since then just changing my diet. When I leave disney, I’m getting back in the gym and on the road running. I wanna lose another 15 lbs and get back to my normal weight of about 230.

Old Glory

Legendary
Founder
You know, also I had been taking creatine daily before and hadn’t started that back, so I bet that has some to do with my strength
Creatine is one of the best supplements you can take. It has a whole host of benefits beyond strength and muscle.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Creatine is one of the best supplements you can take. It has a whole host of benefits beyond strength and muscle.

Yeah I’m a big believer. Only reasoned I stopped taking it was because I just wasn’t working out

AgEngDawg

Legendary
So I worked out most of the last year doing CrossFit type stuff in my garage - maybe three days a week. I’ve completely slacked off over the last month and and eaten a diet that is majority sugar.

I started working out again this week and main, I feel completely fucking out of shape. I’m mid thirties now, but I’m the past I’ve been able to miss a few weeks and come back pretty strong.

Am I being a pussy, is it my diet, or is it my age? It’s a strength and cardio problem right now - maybe it will come back quick, but I feel like I haven’t worked out in a year or more.

Just keep grinding bro. I am in my 40s and by far the strongest I have ever been.

Quit with the Crossfit shit.

Lift heavy! Lift heavy! Lift heavy!

I work out 7 days a week unless life gives me an off day just like Jocko. However, I think he does some cardio/crossfit type stuff.

I work out the following cycle: (1) Chest (2) Back and Biceps (3) Legs (4) Shoulders (5) Core, Repeat.

Core gets its own day because I hate it and it gives the upper body a rest.

I do 8 movements/exercises on a day, 4 sets of 8 repetition for each exercise/movement.

My doctor is amazed at my health numbers.

Just start every day out in the gym. You can't go wrong there.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Just keep grinding bro. I am in my 40s and by far the strongest I have ever been.

Quit with the Crossfit shit.

Lift heavy! Lift heavy! Lift heavy!

I work out 7 days a week unless life gives me an off day just like Jocko. However, I think he does some cardio/crossfit type stuff.

I work out the following cycle: (1) Chest (2) Back and Biceps (3) Legs (4) Shoulders (5) Core, Repeat.

Core gets its own day because I hate it.

I do 8 movements/exercises on a day, 4 sets of 8 repetition for each exercise/movement.

My doctor is amazed at my health numbers.
I switch stuff up every now and then. I've done plenty of time with just lifting heavy - what I like about Crossfit is it helps with my conditioning and flexibility as well and I can get a really good workout in like 30 mins.

I will prob get back on the strength train at some point though

God Cam It

Elite
Yeah I’m the fat fuck with man tits that’s pretty strong usually, but man I have been demoralized by how weak I’ve felt this week. I do enjoy working out a lot though and have always been consistent with it. Never ever been able to figure out diet though

Have you had your hormones checked recently? Ive been dealing with an endocrinologist for the past 9 months and when I first saw her, all of my hormones were off. She treated me for high prolactin which helped a little but she didn't want to help me more than getting me back to baseline levels of test. Long story short, I just started Defy Medical and doing their TRT program. I'll report back in a few on how it is going.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Have you had your hormones checked recently? Ive been dealing with an endocrinologist for the past 9 months and when I first saw her, all of my hormones were off. She treated me for high prolactin which helped a little but she didn't want to help me more than getting me back to baseline levels of test. Long story short, I just started Defy Medical and doing their TRT program. I'll report back in a few on how it is going.
I'm trying to put that off till my 40's - don't know if that matters or not

CBradSmith

Elite
Founder

I'm going to safely round down "Maybe three days a week" to 2 or 2.5 workouts per week prior to your lapse. That being so, I think your baseline likely wasn't as robust as you think it was.

If you haven't exercised in a month+ and your diet during that time was largely sugar, then that's certainly a contributor.

I doubt your age is playing a major role, maybe a little at the margin.

You need to add "endurance" as the 3rd leg of the stool to go with your statement "It's a strength and cardio problem right now."

Until you feel comfortable with what your baseline actually is, I'm with the poster that suggests no to crossfit (at this time). Where age will get you is in joints and the soft tissues such as tendons, ligaments, and cartilage. You want to protect those like they are made of gold, which means feeling reallll comfortable with what your baseline is in all the movements.

My recommendation is to see this iteration of "getting in shape" as a strategic retrenchment, and that takes mental discipline and humility. Once you get your base in place, you'll see cardio/strength gains generally on par with what you're expecting.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
I'm going to safely round down "Maybe three days a week" to 2 or 2.5 workouts per week prior to your lapse. That being so, I think your baseline likely wasn't as robust as you think it was.

If you haven't exercised in a month+ and your diet during that time was largely sugar, then that's certainly a contributor.

I doubt your age is playing a major role, maybe a little at the margin.

You need to add "endurance" as the 3rd leg of the stool to go with your statement "It's a strength and cardio problem right now."

Until you feel comfortable with what your baseline actually is, I'm with the poster that suggests no to crossfit (at this time). Where age will get you is in joints and the soft tissues such as tendons, ligaments, and cartilage. You want to protect those like they are made of gold, which means feeling reallll comfortable with what your baseline is in all the movements.

My recommendation is to see this iteration of "getting in shape" as a strategic retrenchment, and that takes mental discipline and humility. Once you get your base in place, you'll see cardio/strength gains generally on par with what you're expecting.
I was probably hitting closer to 4 days a week than 3 really - I enjoy it. This has just been weird how quick I felt I gotta outta shape - it could be something that snaps back pretty quick, but my two days this week have been brutal.

I've got a rower for endurance. I've even done a marathon before (not near marathon shape by any means now)

Cletusnow

Made the run from Texarkana to Atlanta
Founder

What he said. Consistency is the key, even if you can’t get to gym every day do a little something at home, push-ups, body weight squats, abs. You don’t have to kill yourself to see results.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Programming for the goal of attaining the highest possible SBD totals...yes.
Yeah I've done that off and on. I did some barbell medicine stuff a couple years back that was great (program was called The Bridge) - now my shoulder is pretty jacked up for bench and I just got bored with some of that. I could be due to switch up again though

CBradSmith

Elite
Founder
I was probably hitting closer to 4 days a week than 3 really - I enjoy it. This has just been weird how quick I felt I gotta outta shape - it could be something that snaps back pretty quick, but my two days this week have been brutal.

I've got a rower for endurance. I've even done a marathon before (not near marathon shape by any means now)
Then you're the exception and not the norm when someone estimates how many times a week they work out on average. Almost everybody rounds up.

You're probably just on your period and need to shake it off.

That's great that you've got a rower and that you've done a marathon at one point in 30 something years. Can you tell me that story again??
Messing with you (obviously), but if you are working out a cock solid 4x per week, how are you adequately training for any of strength, cardio, or endurance?

God Cam It

Elite
I'm trying to put that off till my 40's - don't know if that matters or not

I wanted to as well but life had other plans. I'm 38, 6'3", 220 lbs, and testosterone was down to 170. So miserable that I could not not do something.

Not sure if it's cell phones, micro plastics, gay frog rain, etc. But something is definitely making test drop globally.

Only if they spent that much re and energy in something benficial - like say working in how to remove the 2 repeat allele.

Jtrain80

Legendary
I switch stuff up every now and then. I've done plenty of time with just lifting heavy - what I like about Crossfit is it helps with my conditioning and flexibility as well and I can get a really good workout in like 30 mins.

I will prob get back on the strength train at some point though

Sounds like some posters have solid advice and some keeping their post count up.

I just do what I want with the intentions of doing it 3-4 times a week. No really set schedule or hell sometimes I just go to the gym with the I mentions of getting through the warm up and figuring it out.

Second thought, that is probably terrible advice, but how I do it.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
I wanted to as well but life had other plans. I'm 38, 6'3", 220 lbs, and testosterone was down to 170. So miserable that I could not not do something.

Not sure if it's cell phones, micro plastics, gay frog rain, etc. But something is definitely making test drop globally.

Only if they spent that much re and energy in something benficial - like say working in how to remove the 2 repeat allele.
Yeah I agree. Thanks for the feedback and thanks to others in here. Gonna so how my body responds and I got some good stuff to think about here

CBradSmith

Elite
Founder
Eat clean all but one meal per week drink a gallon of water per day and be physical. That one meal do all the dietary damage you can do in 30 minutes. For me it is a large pizza and 3 beers. Don’t even talk to me in that window.
That's basically what I did when I was in the best shape of my life. My damage was generally a Double Whataburger with Cheese super sized combo.

Last edited:

absoluteUnit

Check out the size of this lad
Eat clean all but one meal per week drink a gallon of water per day and be physical. That one meal do all the dietary damage you can do in 30 minutes. For me it is a large pizza and 3 beers. Don’t even talk to me in that window.
Let me hear your body talk

Top Bottom