Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

US Army new squad rifle prototypes

Mahozzle

Elite
Founder
Sigs concept is pretty sweet.
I’m interested in the fact that we are improving the caliber of rifle to a better round and allowing for more ammo to be carried by the SAW gunner by reducing weight and size… from what I’ve read the 6.8 provides similar suppression power and not that different of ballistics than the 7.62 but being significantly lighter and smaller!

On top of that, these guns will be significantly better in sandy and dirty conditions that the m4.
The piston gun is a significantly better system when it comes to running dirty. They can shoot for forever in between cleanings compared to an m4!

Mahozzle

Elite
Founder
I know piston rifles require more pressure to operate and more gas is expelled through the piston mechanism than the Di variants of similar rifles, but I’m not sure how that effects barrels over time.
I’m sure the barrels are beefier to handle it.

Another benefit I see in the piston gun is lack of buffer tubes and ultimately being more compact to carry or case with having the option for a foldable stock…

My sig 556 is a beast and chews through ammo of all varieties. With its adjustable gas block I can switch from more or less pressure on the piston when shooting suppressed or when the gun hasn’t been cleaned in a long while.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
I know piston rifles require more pressure to operate and more gas is expelled through the piston mechanism than the Di variants of similar rifles, but I’m not sure how that effects barrels over time.
I’m sure the barrels are beefier to handle it.

Another benefit I see in the piston gun is lack of buffer tubes and ultimately being more compact to carry or case with having the option for a foldable stock…

My sig 556 is a beast and chews through ammo of all varieties. With its adjustable gas block I can switch from more or less pressure on the piston when shooting suppressed or when the gun hasn’t been cleaned in a long while.

I know the barrel life of some of the higher pressure/velocity rounds are much shorter, like a 6.5 creedmoor vs a .308. If this new round is 80k psi, it wouldn't shock me for the barrels to only last a thousand rounds. I have no idea how many rounds an army rifle needs to last but that is very low.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
So it looks like the 6.8 SPC is not the same as the .277 Fury. The 6.8 SPC max pressure is 55k PSI. That is not that high for a rifle, so barrel life shouldn't be an issue, I'd assume.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom