Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Twitter purchase question

Seasidedawg

Elite
Founder
I just read that this purchase will close sometime late 2022. If that’s the case, what prevents the current management from deleting record, files, histories…etc. Does Musk have control as of Twitters acceptance of his offer? I would just like to know how these type things work.

BurntJ

B2B Champ/ Feels Great to be King!
Founder
I assume that means that part of the deal being struck was sending the source code
That what I’m assuming too.

I’m jacked after reading the following statement from Musk:

"I also want to make Twitter better than ever by enhancing the product with new features, making the algorithms open source to increase trust, defeating the spam bots, and authenticating all humans.

Talk about possibly finding out the real answers to major Conspiracy Theory…..

It becomes Open Source we will ALL know exactly what is and isn’t real.

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder
dead internet theory is true... twitter is starting to mass delete bot accounts and clean house...people are about to find out how fake everything was
I would imagine they are going to invest heavily in building algorithms to detect bots. It's going to be a great war between bots and bot finders. When humans are wiped off the face of the Earth and we are replaced by silicon-based beings, this is going to be known as The First War.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
dead internet theory is true... twitter is starting to mass delete bot accounts and clean house...people are about to find out how fake everything was
Glenn Beck just said he gained over 100k followers yesterday. Maybe Musk is just out to destroy the illusion.
If the workers pilfer the algorithm or source code wouldn't that be some form of tampering? @ChicagoFats

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Glenn Beck just said he gained over 100k followers yesterday. Maybe Musk is just out to destroy the illusion.
If the workers pilfer the algorithm or source code wouldn't that be some form of tampering? @ChicagoFats

Someone suggested that part of the deal was that the "source code" was sent to Elon yesterday when they agreed to a deal. That would prevent them from sabotaging the software. Im not sure if that is even possible or not, someone like @Croot_Overlord would be better fit to answer that question.

But I do know that Elon is a lot smarter than everyone at TWTR so im sure he covered his bases.

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder
I need to know exactly what a bot is. I kinda know, but not really
A bot is just a software program.

Someone can write a piece of software that says: every 2 hours, go on Twitter and make a random post. You could give it 10,000 phrases and 10,000 pictures, and it could randomly select a phrase and picture and post it.

So a little more detailed - let's say you wanted to use a bot to influence people:

You could write a piece of software that searches for the word Trump on Twitter and every time it finds it, it replies to the message with a phrase like "Trump is a fat ass". You could have 1000 anti-Trump phrases that it sifts through.

But even more detailed is when you start combining psychology with bots. We all know how a large part of the internet now is building up psychological profiles of people. Largely to sell them stuff, but also to influence them, and influence public opinion. People with certain profiles get influenced in certain ways by certain phrases. Certain news articles and certain sources.

As an example: you could create a bot to distribute 4chan posts. There is a cross section of people that will see a 4chan style post and think it is revealing some kind of conspiracy (due to some of the things that happened over the last few years). There are all kinds of ways this can play it, but usually it falls into one of these categories 1)Give people false hope, 2)Demoralize people, 3)Implant ideas in people's head that will isolate them

Hope this helps. There is a Ton more that plays into it, especially when you get into things like memetics. This is the information war.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
I need to know exactly what a bot is. I kinda know, but not really
@Croot_Overlord
He can explain it better but a dumb welder perspective is....
A bot scrapes information/posts and is built to reply as the builder of the bot intends. They are the ones that are always 1st to reply to all threads. Similar to @Rube Reaper without the ghey

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Someone suggested that part of the deal was that the "source code" was sent to Elon yesterday when they agreed to a deal. That would prevent them from sabotaging the software. Im not sure if that is even possible or not, someone like @Croot_Overlord would be better fit to answer that question.

But I do know that Elon is a lot smarter than everyone at TWTR so im sure he covered his bases.
No, you can't sabotage the Twitter software and anyone saying otherwise is fake news.

When you have a software product that big it goes under source control and is distributed across a network - a lot like a decentralized cryptocurrency. If someone tries to make a change, it will get reflected across the entire network. But when someone makes a change it doesn't immediately change anything except their local copy. Then they can push their local copy to the repository (the ledger in cryptotalk), where there must become a consensus of agreement between many parties to decide if they want to integrate it into an actual release.

Every single change in software is backed up and documented, and there are backups, of backups, and nowhere close to one person is going to have access to all of that.

Having a hard time articulating it perfectly, but,

TLDR Elon is going to get the exact product he paid for.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
@Croot_Overlord
He can explain it better but a dumb welder perspective is....
A bot scrapes information/posts and is built to reply as the builder of the bot intends. They are the ones that are always 1st to reply to all threads. Similar to @Rube Reaper without the ghey
I am going to say that @quickfeet did a pretty good job describing how bots work. And then diverge quite a bit from your question here and try and explain the brokenness of the current internet, and the mechanism of the unapparelled breach of privacy that has happened on the internet the last few years.

A scraper is a different type of program than a bot though. It just collects information on people. At this point, every single website is going to have its own built in scraper. Every time you access any site, your IP address gets logged for any page you visit, video you play, link you click on etc. Every single movement made on the internet is recorded and tied to an IP address. It's very easy to tie an IP address to specific person. Even if someone tries to use a VPN, and then try to log into their email, bank account, etc, that VPN IP is going to be logged and tied to your personal log in, which is going to be tied back to a non-VPN IP. Your phone has an IP, your computer has an IP, etc.

On a site like this, we register the clicks, but we do not save them off. We want to protect your privacy. We don't build up profiles of IP addresses, or even run advertising that would do that through a 3rd-party

In a general sense, any site that is running advertising is saving off information (like google ad sense). Not the site specifically, but the software that has been agreed to be run on the site. Ad companies pay sites for clicks. But they aren't paying to sell their advertising at all, they are paying to collect information on the people.

According to law, people are granted privacy implicitly. Meaning unless you give a site permission, your information cannot be shared. But now you notice that almost every site you go to makes you agree to a cookie policy. And even if you don't agree their is fine print somewhere that says we are going to sell your information unless you click not to sell in a very obscure spot. But that agreement gets disabled on future visits to the site, so if you don't disagree with the cookie policy and find the do not sell my information button on every site you visit that sells information (i.e. any site running advertising), your information is scraped.

You run ad-blocker? Meaningless. You might not see the ads, but you are still agreeing to sell your information for using the site

It's not just one person or one secret group of people that knows everything about you. There are countless people that have access to this information from all kinds of businesses and agencies. You are the product.

I might try and compile this into a better article or explanation at some point, but everyone has been completely cucked.

BurntJ

Founder
I am going to say that @quickfeet did a pretty good job describing how bots work. And then diverge quite a bit from your question here and try and explain the brokenness of the current internet, and the mechanism of the unapparelled breach of privacy that has happened on the internet the last few years.

A scraper is a different type of program than a bot though. It just collects information on people. At this point, every single website is going to have its own built in scraper. Every time you access any site, your IP address gets logged for any page you visit, video you play, link you click on etc. Every single movement made on the internet is recorded and tied to an IP address. It's very easy to tie an IP address to specific person. Even if someone tries to use a VPN, and then try to log into their email, bank account, etc, that VPN IP is going to be logged and tied to your personal log in, which is going to be tied back to a non-VPN IP. Your phone has an IP, your computer has an IP, etc.

On a site like this, we register the clicks, but we do not save them off. We want to protect your privacy. We don't build up profiles of IP addresses, or even run advertising that would do that through a 3rd-party

In a general sense, any site that is running advertising is saving off information (like google ad sense). Not the site specifically, but the software that has been agreed to be run on the site. Ad companies pay sites for clicks. But they aren't paying to sell their advertising at all, they are paying to collect information on the people.

According to law, people are granted privacy implicitly. Meaning unless you give a site permission, your information cannot be shared. But now you notice that almost every site you go to makes you agree to a cookie policy. And even if you don't agree their is fine print somewhere that says we are going to sell your information unless you click not to sell in a very obscure spot. But that agreement gets disabled on future visits to the site, so if you don't disagree with the cookie policy and find the do not sell my information button on every site you visit that sells information (i.e. any site running advertising), your information is scraped.

You run ad-blocker? Meaningless. You might not see the ads, but you are still agreeing to sell your information for using the site

It's not just one person or one secret group of people that knows everything about you. There are countless people that have access to this information from all kinds of businesses and agencies. You are the product.

I might try and compile this into a better article or explanation at some point, but everyone has been completely cucked.

This is actually a good write up on scrapers/bot/ individuals rights. They have purposefully clouded this picture so people dont clearly understand that we have we have been turned into the product. Once people understand the picture as it is......there will be a correction.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
This is actually a good write up on scrapers/bot/ individuals rights. They have purposefully clouded this picture so people dont clearly understand that we have we have been turned into the product. Once people understand the picture as it is......there will be a correction.
Thanks. I feel like I might no have most accurately described the information we collect on this site, but it is built into the Xenforo software. We get emails when people register. We get IPs to stop bots and spammers. But we do not tie IPs to specific clicks, views, etc. We do not share or sell information

BurntJ

Founder
Thanks. I feel like I might no have most accurately described the information we collect on this site, but it is built into the Xenforo software. We get emails when people register. We get IPs to stop bots and spammers. But we do not tie IPs to specific clicks, views, etc. We do not share or sell information
Not perfect but you explained it far better that I and most others. I feel like people that don’t understand will be able to follow the way you typed.

That’s the correct approach to all of this (privacy) BUT everyone will feel the effect due to the overall damage. Trust will be destroyed…..like EVERYTHING else right now.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Not perfect but you explained it far better that I and most others. I feel like people that don’t understand will be able to follow the way you typed.

That’s the correct approach to all of this (privacy) BUT everyone will feel the effect due to the overall damage. Trust will be destroyed…..like EVERYTHING else right now.
Honestly I had an idea driving home about building a network or some kind of brand of websites that refuses to comply with that. You must meet certain parameters to be part of the network to ensure privacy. I’m always thinking up shit lol.

PleasureMoose

Legendary
A bot is just a software program.

Someone can write a piece of software that says: every 2 hours, go on Twitter and make a random post. You could give it 10,000 phrases and 10,000 pictures, and it could randomly select a phrase and picture and post it.

So a little more detailed - let's say you wanted to use a bot to influence people:

You could write a piece of software that searches for the word Trump on Twitter and every time it finds it, it replies to the message with a phrase like "Trump is a fat ass". You could have 1000 anti-Trump phrases that it sifts through.

But even more detailed is when you start combining psychology with bots. We all know how a large part of the internet now is building up psychological profiles of people. Largely to sell them stuff, but also to influence them, and influence public opinion. People with certain profiles get influenced in certain ways by certain phrases. Certain news articles and certain sources.

As an example: you could create a bot to distribute 4chan posts. There is a cross section of people that will see a 4chan style post and think it is revealing some kind of conspiracy (due to some of the things that happened over the last few years). There are all kinds of ways this can play it, but usually it falls into one of these categories 1)Give people false hope, 2)Demoralize people, 3)Implant ideas in people's head that will isolate them

Hope this helps. There is a Ton more that plays into it, especially when you get into things like memetics. This is the information war.
1651059375151.png

I'm a firm believer in this
1651059491921.png

PleasureMoose

Legendary
Hard bro.
You ever looked into "The Cultural Virus Theory"?,... particularly regarding memetics.
Tis some trippy shit.
the fastest traveling thing in the universe is an idea...its the root of evolution. every single time someone is silenced we as a species are being stunted

evolutionary pressure is the key.. its the next step for transcendence

D

Deleted member 2886

Spit out a 1 paragraph synopsis
6edebcbd396a4b8bbe6251fd22c84641.gifScreenshot_2022-04-28-01-31-07-93_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Synopsis:
Neo-Darwinism is becoming an increasingly important influence on archaeological theory, as a number of recently edited books on 'Darwinian archaeologies' make clear. However, many of these volumes are internationally inconsistent and reflect the muddled understanding many archaeologists have of the potential of Darwin's thought for interpreting material culture. Ben Cullen's book starts by critiquing some recent neo-Darwinist approaches, including cultural evolutionism and cultural sociobiology. He then presents a neo Darwinian paradigm of extreme power, which he has termed the Cultural Virus Theory (CVT). This. focuses on explaining the transmission of ideas by comparing cultural memes wit natural genes. In the final section he takes the important step of applying this theory to real materials; demonstrating how CVT can be used to understand the spread of megalithic monuments in prehistoric North-West Europe, the diffusion of the renaissance in medieval Europe and the basis of stylistic change in pottery. Tragically this collection of brilliant thoughts is published posthumously. Ben Cullen was close to finishing a major book when he died suddenly in 1995 and his writings have been gathered into a consistent whole by James Steele, Richard Cullen and Christopher Chippendale.

PleasureMoose

Legendary
View attachment 96713View attachment 96714
Synopsis:
Neo-Darwinism is becoming an increasingly important influence on archaeological theory, as a number of recently edited books on 'Darwinian archaeologies' make clear. However, many of these volumes are internationally inconsistent and reflect the muddled understanding many archaeologists have of the potential of Darwin's thought for interpreting material culture. Ben Cullen's book starts by critiquing some recent neo-Darwinist approaches, including cultural evolutionism and cultural sociobiology. He then presents a neo Darwinian paradigm of extreme power, which he has termed the Cultural Virus Theory (CVT). This. focuses on explaining the transmission of ideas by comparing cultural memes wit natural genes. In the final section he takes the important step of applying this theory to real materials; demonstrating how CVT can be used to understand the spread of megalithic monuments in prehistoric North-West Europe, the diffusion of the renaissance in medieval Europe and the basis of stylistic change in pottery. Tragically this collection of brilliant thoughts is published posthumously. Ben Cullen was close to finishing a major book when he died suddenly in 1995 and his writings have been gathered into a consistent whole by James Steele, Richard Cullen and Christopher Chippendale.

1651067054858.png

ideas—what he calls “idea pathogens”—that are killing common sense and rational debate. Incubated in our universities and spread through the tyranny of political correctness..these ideas are endangering our most basic freedoms—including freedom of thought and speech

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
View attachment 96713View attachment 96714
Synopsis:
Shootbi knew that but didn't know the name. Darwin was paid by Rothschild to claim evolution and what is lesser known is he still decreed that the missing link being unexplainable left the option of God's creation on the table

Top Bottom