Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The GOAT military film

PleasureMoose

Legendary
I was thinking it’s not a “serious” movie.

Apocalypse Now was a great answer. Full Metal Jacket is up there
Tropic Thunder is far from serious but it's a damn good war movie. RDJ was nominated for an Academy Award for best supporting actor and then there's the acting of Tom Cruise.

Edit: I almost forgot about Simple Jack and Satan's Alley

Last edited:

t_money86

Legendary
Founder
3f6c4884-573c-49e0-b5f9-9a52c86b59c9_text.gif

khael-hawk

One of the Main Maniacs for Sure
Founder
The GOAT war movie scene

I agree, that's easily the best single scene for sure, although for intensity see my comments below.

The best war movie overall is probably a good subject for debate. I like a few of them, off the top of my head:

Saving Private Ryan - My step-grandfather (RIP) who was was with the 29th and landed on Omaha beach walked out of the theatre 10 min in, said they nailed it and he couldn't watch. Probably the most intense war scene ever filmed.
Patton - A little too rah rah, but solid nonetheless.
Das Boot - Entertaining, except I'm an American dammit!
300 - It is in fact a war movie. Not what I think most people think of as a war movie though.

CurtOFD78

Elite
Apocalypse Now lost me in the Robert Duval scene when he starts talking about surfing in the middle of a battle.

For my money it's Saving Private Ryan all day, every day. It's got one of the most brutal combat scenes I've ever seen, emotion, and redemption. The scene when the typing pool starts to realize they have 3 Ryan brothers up to momma Ryan getting the letters makes my eyes leak every damn time I watch it.

Edit: @khael-hawk thank you for the story about your grandfather. I've heard and read many of those types of stories. To me it just solidifies why Saving Private Ryan is the fvcking GOAT.

TopHook

Legendary
Founder
I agree, that's easily the best single scene for sure, although for intensity see my comments below.

The best war movie overall is probably a good subject for debate. I like a few of them, off the top of my head:

Saving Private Ryan - My step-grandfather (RIP) who was was with the 29th and landed on Omaha beach walked out of the theatre 10 min in, said they nailed it and he couldn't watch. Probably the most intense war scene ever filmed.
Patton - A little too rah rah, but solid nonetheless.
Das Boot - Entertaining, except I'm an American dammit!
300 - It is in fact a war movie. Not what I think most people think of as a war movie though.
Fucking 300. Nice call. I didn't know they owned slaves while championing freedom.

STMF2X

Elite
Founder
while it isn’t a war movie, the Pentagon Wars on HBO was an unfortunate comedy..and explains why we can’t get anything done, or win anything anymore.

Lilburncock

Poster
Apocalypse Now lost me in the Robert Duval scene when he starts talking about surfing in the middle of a battle.

For my money it's Saving Private Ryan all day, every day. It's got one of the most brutal combat scenes I've ever seen, emotion, and redemption. The scene when the typing pool starts to realize they have 3 Ryan brothers up to momma Ryan getting the letters makes my eyes leak every damn time I watch it.

Edit: @khael-hawk thank you for the story about your grandfather. I've heard and read many of those types of stories. To me it just solidifies why Saving Private Ryan is the fvcking GOAT.
But isn't the whole save the last brother pure fiction?

TJHall1

Legendary
But isn't the whole save the last brother pure fiction?
No, there's actually a family from Iowa that they loosely based that plot on. There's even a museum in waterloo, ia named after the family and the brothers. Sullivan family.

ETA: The plot is fiction, like you said. All the Sullivan brothers died aboard i believe the uss Juneau after it sank. I think this is what officially started the process of keeping brothers separate and was the driving force behind the plot of SPR.

Last edited:

Cletusnow

Made the run from Texarkana to Atlanta
Founder

Anyone else notice Swede in the Homelight commercial?

Latest posts

Top Bottom