Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Record player recs

comotiger

Poster
Founder
Looking into getting one but wasn’t sure what some good options were. Lots of cheap ones but didn’t want to get a $60 if they weren’t great. Any one have any that they would recommend ?

GriffTannen

Poster
The cheaper ones are ok if you’re just a casual listener and aren’t really serious about the whole experience. We got my dad a Victrola all in one for records, CD’s, tapes etc. It’s good. Gets the job done. Think we paid a little over $130 or something. But he uses it. Not the greatest sound quality. The built in speakers are pretty sub par but he’s not someone who really cares about all that.

Wife and I just bought this setup a few weeks back and it’s pretty solid all around. Not top of the line or anything but the speakers are good and it’s a quality setup.

Crosley C62 Vinyl Turntable w/Bluetooth Receiver, Includes Speakers & Built-in Amplifier - Walnut https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LCZBRD8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_5RzdGbSMFNKZG

comotiger

Poster
Founder
The cheaper ones are ok if you’re just a casual listener and aren’t really serious about the whole experience. We got my dad a Victrola all in one for records, CD’s, tapes etc. It’s good. Gets the job done. Think we paid a little over $130 or something. But he uses it. Not the greatest sound quality. The built in speakers are pretty sub par but he’s not someone who really cares about all that.

Wife and I just bought this setup a few weeks back and it’s pretty solid all around. Not top of the line or anything but the speakers are good and it’s a quality setup.

Crosley C62 Vinyl Turntable w/Bluetooth Receiver, Includes Speakers & Built-in Amplifier - Walnut https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LCZBRD8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_5RzdGbSMFNKZG
Thanks! Ya that’s the decision for me. I don’t really need one but want to get one for just a few artists I like. Don’t want anything special but also don’t want a shitty one.

Rusty Strings

Poster
The biggest issue with cheap ones is the cheap needle and lack of adjustment to the pressure on the record is more likely to do damage to your records. If you're extremely casual this may not be a big deal but if you have a lot of first press records with some value I'd save up and get in at least the $300-500 range for something good used. I'm about to have 3-4 vintage 1970's players for sale if you're not in a hurry. I'll cut you a deal, I need to get them out of the house. Also, often washed up "DJ's" will have Technics SL-1200s for sale cheap to pay their rent since they are losers. Those are beasts and can be upgraded to audiophile status.

The one I'm running right now looks just like this. It's a mid-1970's Pioneer PL-570.

1611512530404.png

HnstTune

Elite
Founder
If you have a quality record store in your town many times they’ll have vintage record players for sale. I picked up a realistic labs player at twist & shout in Denver and upgraded to a grado red cartridge. Sounds fantastic. I think I paid about $120 for the player and around $100 for the cartridge.

the technics sl1200 rec is solid but you’ll be in the $500 range for the record player plus cartridge. But they are high quality players.

edit to add:
some other considerations are, do you have a receiver with phono out? If not you’ll need a phono preamp. If you don’t have a receiver at all then an all-in-one setup might be a better option to get started.

Rusty Strings

Poster
If you have a quality record store in your town many times they’ll have vintage record players for sale. I picked up a realistic labs player at twist & shout in Denver and upgraded to a grado red cartridge. Sounds fantastic. I think I paid about $120 for the player and around $100 for the cartridge.

the technics sl1200 rec is solid but you’ll be in the $500 range for the record player plus cartridge. But they are high quality players.

edit to add:
some other considerations are, do you have a receiver with phono out? If not you’ll need a phono preamp. If you don’t have a receiver at all then an all-in-one setup might be a better option to get started.
I bought a pair about 7 years ago from a methed out "DJ" for $100. Probably my best score. I hate I sold both of them.

HnstTune

Elite
Founder
That’s a steal. I’m sure you did pretty good flipping those. Just did a quick eBay search and a single starts around $350.

EdgeBest

Poster
New-- Technics the $120 one will be just fine not sure the exact model name. Don't cheap out on this as it can damage records and avoid crosley. They are shit.

Or made in japan vintage one from 70/80s

Sansui. Pioneer. Technics. Go to you local shop and there's always some for sale around $50

Top Bottom