Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Question for the Christians on the board...

MalO

Elite
Yes, I'm an Athiest, but I try to be respectful of everyone else's views, and their particular Religious beliefs. My family is made up of Christians, so I went to church to support them. I WAS raised as such, but found something that made more sense TO ME.

Anyay, the pastor posed a question tonight that I'd never thought of, in all my time of research.

Both Mary and Joseph were of The House of David, yet no family traveled with them. Why?

Many inquiring minds would like to know. Not just me...

Thanks! And Merry Christmas!
2 Samuel 5:13
2 Samuel 20:3

1 Chronicles 3

The Sons of David​

3 These were the sons of David born to him in Hebron:

The firstborn was Amnon the son of Ahinoam of Jezreel;
the second, Daniel the son of Abigail of Carmel;
2 the third, Absalom the son of Maakah daughter of Talmai king of Geshur;
the fourth, Adonijah the son of Haggith;
3 the fifth, Shephatiah the son of Abital;
and the sixth, Ithream, by his wife Eglah.
4 These six were born to David in Hebron, where he reigned seven years and six months.
David reigned in Jerusalem thirty-three years, 5 and these were the children born to him there:

Shammua,[a] Shobab, Nathan and Solomon. These four were by Bathsheba[b] daughter of Ammiel. 6 There were also Ibhar, Elishua,[c] Eliphelet, 7 Nogah, Nepheg, Japhia, 8 Elishama, Eliada and Eliphelet—nine in all. 9 All these were the sons of David, besides his sons by his concubines. And Tamar was their sister.

See the part I put in bold? Those were all his kids:

1. Born in Hebron.
2. Born by his wives, not his concubines.
3. He had many concubines.
4. Remember that whole Bathsheba thing in 2 Samuel 11?

Probably half the Jews are descended from David. It's like asking how many people in Europe and Asia are descended from Genghis Khan.

champsballs

Elite
Founder
2 Samuel 5:13
2 Samuel 20:3

1 Chronicles 3

See the part I put in bold? Those were all his kids:

1. Born in Hebron.
2. Born by his wives, not his concubines.
3. He had many concubines.
4. Remember that whole Bathsheba thing in 2 Samuel 11?

Probably half the Jews are descended from David. It's like asking how many people in Europe and Asia are descended from Genghis Khan.

Nobody is reading any of that, especially the drop downs and links. As soon as I saw the blue letters, which was instantly, I started typing this. Merry Christmas dickhead

Yes, I'm an Athiest, but I try to be respectful of everyone else's views, and their particular Religious beliefs. My family is made up of Christians, so I went to church to support them. I WAS raised as such, but found something that made more sense TO ME.

Anyay, the pastor posed a question tonight that I'd never thought of, in all my time of research.

Both Mary and Joseph were of The House of David, yet no family traveled with them. Why?

Being an atheist has nothing to do with religion or theology.

Answer to your question: who knows? maybe no one liked them? maybe it was a test? maybe they did not like anyone else?

Question to you: what was the alternative that made more sense "TO YOU"?....in contrast to the belief in creation?

MalO

Elite
Nobody is reading any of that, especially the drop downs and links. As soon as I saw the blue letters, which was instantly, I started typing this. Merry Christmas dickhead
My point was that being descended from royalty doesn't necessarily make you royalty. The money flows to the heir who takes power not to the extended family and definitely not to the illegitimate children.

Multiple generations had passed by the time Jesus was born. His family had been poor for generations. Of course nobody was traveling with them.

Hoosier in Mad Town

Founder

Joseph was of the House of David.

But he was from a humble family.

After Solomon started worshiping Baal, all of that wealth wasn't going to last more than a generation or two. let alone the 14 that came between David and Jesus.

The far more interesting question, IMHO, is how much treasure did the Magi (3 wise men) actually bring to Jesus? It is much more likely they brought the vast majority, if not all, of their entire wealth of their kingdoms, along with an army (after all, they were at war with Herod in 39 B.C.).

Makes the parable of the talents that much more interesting.

Hoosier in Mad Town

Founder
They had to keep Jesus a secret because Herod wanted him killed...others to as well. If you have extra people with you they would've put the journey in jeopardy. Herod sent the Wisemen to locate him so he could kill him. That's why God told them to depart and head back another way. In a nutshell, people wouldn't have been able to keep their mouths shut....at least that's how I see it, right or wrong.
The treasure (gold, frankincense, mir), likely boatloads of it, was what they used to escape & live in Egypt.

Timothy

Elite
Mark’s gospel was the original from which Matthew and Luke were derived.

Mark said nothing about Jesus’ birth, and nothing about Mary being a virgin.

Neither did John’s gospel. Both of them start the history of Jesus with his baptism.

As Matthew and Luke portray very different versions of Jesus’ birth, I had to conclude that neither texts are accurate. You cannot support the doctrine of a virgin birth using any of the epistles in the New Testament.

Perhaps not the information you are seeking, or maybe it is.

I remain a Christian in spite of these radical beliefs. My Jesus had natural parents.

TheNJNole

Elite
Founder

Seriously, you better do some sould searching and find you some God.

Throughout the bible, people have been scattered in their travels. The two were said to have gone on their way. Why such a question?

Mr.Fitzwell

Legendary
@TheNJNole it wasn't an original thought. The question was posed by the pastor in his sermon on Chrismas Eve so I brought it to the board...which has given good answers lol...thank you

Jakethedog

Legendary
Founder
@OPD77 No, I don't believe in a higher power or being...what makes the most sense TO AND FOR ME, is that there are 3 facts.

1) time is undefeated
2) gravity, with time, will also be undefeated
3) everything that lives, will die

Everything else is an idea...

Just makes sense to me lol

That's all well and good but at some point something had to come from nothing

Top Bottom