Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Preppers: advice on supplies, tools, stuff, etc

Pete_Cawthon

Elite
Founder
Thought we might could get a ongoing thread about this

I know some of you guys are well educated on what is needed but I'm interested in buying some emergency food and a few other things and wanted some recommendations. I'm not wanting to become a total prepper but I would like to be prepared for some basic emergencies.

Obvious - guns and ammo

Food - ?

Tools - ?

Cash/gold/coins - ?

Liquor - ?

Jtrain80

Legendary
Start with the basics.

Here in OK our power goes out for wind, ice, and tornadoes. A generator is good.

Water for a couple days wouldn't be a bad idea. I read 1 gal/person/day. Seems a little overkill, but brushing teeth, sponge baths, cleaning dishes all take a little also.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
I’m not a traditional “prepper”, but I’ve hoarded a lot of books. Lots of stuff on chemistry and medicine.

But prob the most pertinent category for the prepping philosophy is I have quite a few books on foraging, edible wild plants, herbalism, etc. You would be shocked at how much edible nutrition is all around you in nature. Acorns are a great example. When prepared correctly they provide all the macronutrients and can be converted to flour for all kinds of things

CadetHawk

Elite
Founder
I got into this pretty hardcore about a decade ago. I have since backed off, but still have enough provisions for my family of five to have food for six months. I am a member on a forum called survivalist boards. There is an unlimited amount of information there. If you want to get serious about prepping I would suggest looking around there. I have brought this up on other boards similar to this one and the ridicule and mocking makes it not worth it. You can see that creeping in above in this thread.

Oklahoma

Poster
I got into this pretty hardcore about a decade ago. I have since backed off, but still have enough provisions for my family of five to have food for six months. I am a member on a forum called survivalist boards. There is an unlimited amount of information there. If you want to get serious about prepping I would suggest looking around there. I have brought this up on other boards similar to this one and the ridicule and mocking makes it not worth it. You can see that creeping in above in this thread.

thats what I don’t get. It’s obvious that if trucks stop for any reason large cities will be hunger games within 48 hours. People making fun of preppers is the equivalent of black people making fun of their neighborhood guys going to college. Makes no logical sense.

Tell_Sackett

Poster
You can also refer to LDS based websites for an idea of how much food is required for 1 year rations per person on hand, and what foods are easier to store long term. I believe their guidance requires a minimum of 3 months of food storage on hand at all times but encourages more. It is eye opening how much food that is.

Tell_Sackett

Poster
thats what I don’t get. It’s obvious that if trucks stop for any reason large cities will be hunger games within 48 hours. People making fun of preppers is the equivalent of black people making fun of their neighborhood guys going to college. Makes no logical sense.
Our "normal" is the greatest standard of living in the history of the world. It is also entirely built on JIT inventory philosophy. Excess inventory is an enemy of efficient business operating cycles as inventory has holding costs, can degrade or become obsolete, and is a significant use of cash. The problem with JIT is that it assumes a free, stable, liquid market at all times. We have built our modern economy to be highly efficient but in turn, we are always 2 weeks from catastrophe. The supply chain is precarious and is intentionally made to be so.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder

I also don't get making fun of preppers. Most of them aren't really prepping for a zombie apocalypse or some craziness anyway. It seems smart to be prepared to live on your own for a week or few weeks, at least, just in case.

We lost power, and therefore our well water, for 5 days after hurricane Matthew, which I think was only a category 1 or 2 storm, and we are 60 miles inland. After Hugo in '89, much of the SC low country was without power and water for more than a week.

In addition to some of the basics mentioned above, I have a Coleman classic camping stove and an adapter to run it off of 20lb tanks. A few of those full of propane will cook the 2 of us food for quite a long time, if need be. Also have a kerosine heater I can bust out if we lose power from an ice storm or something in the winter.

Confederation

Poster
My place sits over the ogallala aquifer. Drilled a well 250 feet deep, put a transfer switch on the pole so my pump can be run by a generator fueled by either propane or gasoline. I have a portable hot water heater that runs on propane and a lake full of fish right off my deck. Deer and turkey everywhere. I hate to say I am rooting for total societal collapse but in a way I am.😎

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
I lost electric for 7 days about 10 years ago due to an ice storm. People like to poke fun at preppers but when electric goes out for a day or 2 it's not that big of a deal. When it gets into to day 3 and 4 you start to rethink things.

Mountain house food has become expensive but is the best in the business to me for long storage. I also use it camping so duel use.

Propane heaters... Propane last forever in a tank unlike gas or kerosene. I grill out and have a weed burner for propane too so duel use.

Learn to garden and can. Prepping aside... the shit just taste better and is better for you. I make my own pasta sauce and pickles. Been trying to figure out some indoor stuff that isn't too crazy.

Anyone that can't shelter at their house for 2 weeks without severe hardship is doing it wrong.

Zgdaf

Elite
Founder
If you guys are just looking for emergency rations for 2-3 weeks, forget the expensive freeze dried meals and pick you up some big bags of rice and beans. Wont be gourmet, but its cheap, filling, and you can survive on it. Probably 1/4 of the world does now.
My extra covid weight will get me by for at least 3 weeks. Just fatten up on something you enjoy now.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
Tools are things any man should have already. Shovel, axe, saws, hammer, wrenches... I mean, people survived in the past with very little actual knowledge aside from basic agriculture, mechanical and building. Any amount of effort into those things with current tech and should be able to gain knowledge quickly.... application may be a bitch though.

DuckDitchtiger

Elite
Founder
Plant a garden, plant fruit trees and learn to can. I have peach, apple, plum, pear and fig trees, also 2 different grape vines and blueberry bushes. Plant blueberries instead of ornamental shrubs.

Old Glory

Legendary
Founder
thenick_ttu said:
agree completely. I have no problem with people being gay and there truly are people who are born with "undefined" genitalia. But these people who feel they are "really a woman trapped in a man's body" or vice versa, have some type of body dysmorphia disorder. My wife struggled with bulimia for most of her late teens and early 20s. She has since recovered & healthy and she has a very honest view of her mindset when she was suffering from that, and she equates this transgender "popularity phase" to bulimia or anorexia. These people need help and counseling, not some quack doctor willing to mutilate their body.
Agreed, no problems here if someone is gay, just don’t try to force feed me your bullshit rhetoric.
tgsio said:
My kids' school is small (average class size is 125 give or take). This year? We have 32 kids in my son's class and 2 that just graduated with my daughter (one of whom decided 3 months ago and took her brother's middle name for her own (her brother who is much more popular and liked than she is because, frankly, she's a nasty, miserable, hateful little thing and always has been)) that are suddenly Trans.

Think about that. The trans population is generously estimated at .5%... yet at this school of an average class of 125ish kids with 32 trans students.

Bullshit.

It's now become cool and 'safely' edgy... which makes it even more dangerous to these kids' mental health going forward because nobody told them 'no'.

Got to have a fun conversation with my son's jh principal a couple of years ago when one kid in particular falsely accused my son of bullying him/ her/ whatever (depended on the day) and the principal happily went along until I demanded to see the video tape of said incident and my son wasn't there because he was taking a nap in his coach's office because he had a frigging concussion.. which we all knew, but hey, straight white boy and athlete...

I flat out told him if he and this family wanted to play this game, I'll play. I'll sue the shit out of the school district, him (principal) and family for sustained sexual harassment if I ever again have to listen to my kid tell me about this other child describe his penis or desired vagina. It was constant and Max never did anything other than walk away... except on the one day when he stepped in to keep this kid from getting his ass absolutely beat when he texted another kid asking if he could suck his dick.

The family moved away 2 months later. And the principal stopped targeting my kid.

That's how you shut this shit down. You play by the rules they set.
Saving this response for when my kids get that age. Hell, my daughter (10)’s friend already openly talks about lgbtq shit. I told the little friend, “listen, I know you’ve got older siblings and y’all can talk about whatever you want at your house, but don’t bring that crap over here. It’s a mental illness, and my kids will not be force fed it’s “normalcy”. She said yes sir, and moved the fuck out.
It’s disgusting! Like @Phillip McKraken said, in our day, kids who needed attention just dressed goth...now a days they straight choppin shit off! This is not normal and we as parents need to teach our children that it’s not! I have a feeling most of us on here, are in fact doing that. But your story with the principal infuriates me. Good on you for sticking it to him. What are your thoughts on race shit being shoved down our kids throats?
Phillip McKraken said:
The weird kids in school used to dress in goth to get attention. Now if you can’t get laid or get a boyfriend/girlfriend they become the other sex. How did we allow this to be normalized And actively encourage it? I’m convinced it is to completely get rid of God in the younger generations.
*See pic at the bottom
G8R-H8R said:
Full out assault my mainstream media and Hollywood. I am convinced BY FAR Americans are totally against all this. There is just an attempt to shove it down our throats en masse. Along with the other liberal agendas designed to destroy the nuclear family.

Which is why my tv is now off most of the time - it disgusts me to watch lies. Or sit there and support while they try to normalize what should be fringe topics at best.
Dude, I can’t tell you last time I turned my tv on! I got rid of my YouTube tv. It’s ALL garbage. I imagine I’ll turn it back on for CFB season but that’s it.
MSU_Spartans said:
The big thing I am worried about is power. Food, water, ammo, etc. is fairly easy but we can't just make power.

For food, we typically buy extra of stuff we already eat and rotate items as we use/buy more. That way if nothing ever happens, we're just eating the food we like rather than buying a bunch of stuff to be prepared but never wanting to eat it.
Power: get yourself a generator, I’ve got a Firman 9400 starting/7500 running watts. I can run 2 fridges, a tv, and several small devices for a little over a day off just 5 gal of gas (you won’t need to run it constantly) Speaking of gas, get you about 10 of those 5 gal gas jugs and fill em up. Set them out of the way in your garage.

Food: there’s all sorts of emergency food supply companies out there right now(should be a sign right?) anyways, Patriotfoods is one I think. If you can’t afford that, go get you about 100 lb of dry beans and 100 lb rice. I’ve also got about 6 months supply of MREs I took from the Army.

water: iodine tablets, a pot and a way to boil said water, but for the initial push, go ahead and get you about 20 of those large bottled water packs from Walmart.

ammo: not gonna say how much I got on here, but if you haven’t yet, you need to get you enough, what’s enough to you? I dunno, to me there’s never enough. That’s why I bought a reloader and am making my own now. Although supplies are expensive, I’m next gonna learn how to cast my own lead.

@Phillip McKraken
15A48935-010C-4077-9AF6-A9F275313A6B.jpeg

From @Chris Farley in the Fraggle thread.

TTUcamper

Elite
If you guys are just looking for emergency rations for 2-3 weeks, forget the expensive freeze dried meals and pick you up some big bags of rice and beans. Wont be gourmet, but its cheap, filling, and you can survive on it. Probably 1/4 of the world does now.

I bought 50 lbs of beans and 25 lbs of rice for under a 100 bucks. Between that and my 5 chickens I can last for a while.

I always just figured it's never stupid to be prepared especially when it's not expensive or hard.

My girl and I are both avid outdoors people so a lot of our equipment crosses over.

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
I'm cultivating squirrels and dove at my house. If the SHTF I will have several meals for several days unless my neighbor beats me to them.

Besides the implements of destruction in my garage, I have enough water to last several months, oil lamps, matches, gas, several cans for hauling water if needed for flushing, many knives of various sizes. animals traps and bait, guns/ammo, both cars always full of gas, lots of trees and chainsaws, activated charcoal to filter water and a jug of lint...yes, lint, and a jar of petroleum jelly. Jelly rubbed into the lint is an excellent fire starter to put under wood--will burn a long time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom