Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Support our Community

We're proud to offer an ad-free experience and valuable content thanks to the support of our TFSF members. If you enjoy what we do and want to help us continue providing the best experience, consider joining our Patreon

For $15 a month, you can help us cover costs, support growth, and ensure we keep having fun!

Your support makes a difference. Thank you!

Patron's Pub R&D Exclusive: HackRF Software Defined Radio Experiments

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Edit: moved to main forum because it took me so long to actually do something

I ordered a software defined radio this morning for TFSF. I am going to teach everyone all about it and how to use it and show you all the things that we can do with it.

I am going to keep all my notes and project updates for the project in this thread as a Patron's Pub exclusive. Radio gets here at the end of the week

1628500385849.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2886

10-4 buddy Come on back, horse trailer on a Cadillac
Hey John, are you knowledgeable with regard to emf radiation shielding?
I'm currently looking into setting up either an isolated faraday cage, or painting the whole house with specialized emfr paint and covering all windows with shielding material, or both.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Hey John, are you knowledgeable with regard to emf radiation shielding?
I'm currently looking into setting up either an isolated faraday cage, or painting the whole house with specialized emfr paint and covering all windows with shielding material, or both.
To some degree yes. I specialize in radar, so I’m very familiar with EM concepts

D

Deleted member 2886

Thanks man, was really helpful, and you've an excellent way of explaining things.
May I ask for your opinion on three products I'm considering, only if you have the time of course.
Trying to understand if using all three of these will be sufficient to block all external EMF, including from internal wiring,...
•1)Interior lining-
IMG_20220313_180206.jpgIMG_20220313_180155.jpg
•2)Exterior piant-
IMG_20220313_180215.jpgIMG_20220313_180224.jpg
•3)Window lining-
IMG_20220313_180234.jpg
Any advice will be appreciated, cheers man.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Nearly one year later I got this bitch functioning. I only started messing with it last week. I tried to do it through windows but it was a huge pain

Installed Ubuntu on an old laptop and we are running. I’ll post some updates soon

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
All the next few posts are pictures of me measuring actual signals that are bouncing around the atmosphere with the hackRF device

here are the radio station signals by my house. The screen on the right. Each peak is a different station. The one on the left is very strong

1656709411554.png

Last edited:

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Something interesting here. That tallest peak is the center of the wifi spectrum, 2.3GHz. The center of this plot is 2.280. This is some kind of pulsed signal happening at 2.2795

1656711513174.png

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
I centered up on the pulsing signal above. Pulsed signals look like a sinc function in a spectrum. The shape of the plot is actually one pulses signal rather than non pulsed signals which are basically just straight lines

Sinc function:

1656713150952.gif

Pulsing signal at 2.227515 GHz with a 67 khz prf (mainly not for myself to think about later)

1656711901252.png

This means there is an electromagnetic wave traveling in the atmosphere going up and down 2,227,515,000 times a second, but chopped into pulses that happen 67,000 times a second.

Last edited:

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Pulsing signal at 2.227515 GHz with a 67 khz prf (mainly not for myself to think about later)

View attachment 115198

This means there is an electromagnetic wave traveling in the atmosphere going up and down 2,227,515,000 times a second, but chopped into pulses that happen 67,000 times a second.
My current guess is that this actually a single Wi-Fi network and the pulses are packets of information

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Can you give us a laymens explnation of what’s going on here?

Are you scanning your immediate environment to see what kind of waves are in the atmosphere?

Radio stations, wi-if, other stuff?
Yeah this exactly. Just “sniffing” what signals are out there. For the radio stations the x-axis goes from 90MHz to 110MHz - which is the FM radio spectrum. The huge spike on there is a radio station 96.9 which has an antenna close to my house

D2B0CE76-579C-401C-AD4C-CFEA64A3A14E.jpeg

It’s kind of like a microphone receiving pressure waves which translate to sounds, but here the antenna receives electromagnetic waves

Next, I am going to center up on one of those frequencies and sample it on my computer, then play the samples out on my speaker, which will be the actually sound from the radio station

HurricaneBlaze

Elite
Founder
Yeah this exactly. Just “sniffing” what signals are out there. For the radio stations the x-axis goes from 90MHz to 110MHz - which is the FM radio spectrum. The huge spike on there is a radio station 96.9 which has an antenna close to my house

View attachment 115437

It’s kind of like a microphone receiving pressure waves which translate to sounds, but here the antenna receives electromagnetic waves

Next, I am going to center up on one of those frequencies and sample it on my computer, then play the samples out on my speaker, which will be the actually sound from the radio station
Is your ultimate goal to create/post your own radio (talk or whatever) off this?
And can/will the equipment work while traveling, or do you need to be based somewhere?

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Is your ultimate goal to create/post your own radio (talk or whatever) off this?
And can/will the equipment work while traveling, or do you need to be based somewhere?
No, I’m not worried about broadcasting, just receiving right now. You need a license to actually broadcast, and even then you can only do it in very small bands.

But yes, all the equipment will travel. And in theory, you can pick up any wireless signal and see what information is being passed. If it’s not encrypted, as long as you know the modulation scheme, you can read what information is out there.

Just learning right now

TopHook

Legendary
Founder
good-burger.gif

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
This is cool… not understanding the usefulness, but that’s because I’m a dumb!
Anything wireless - cell phones, Wi-Fi, radio, Antenna tv

Radars - weather radar, aircraft radar

All the new car safety breaking, adaptive cruise use radar

Melting peoples brains, etc

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Wow, I’m going to try and wrap my head around this at some point today.
For starters, (in general) you look at prices over time. What the prices were, what they are, what they will be in the future. The x-axis is always time when you look at equity prices plots.

^this is considered the “time domain” in engineering speak

Top Bottom