Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

No water at the house (edit:I got water MFers)

TJHall1

Legendary
I don't mean to say there is anything 'wrong' with living on a slab.

In some areas that's the only option.

Just as a person who lives in an area (Ohio) where basements are standard it's a mind fuck.
Basements are damn near a guarantee here in Iowa. Tornados and such. Slab houses with a shelter/basement area are common. Morton and a couple other companies are hitting this "cheaper" house option hard.

TJHall1

Legendary

Just as a person who lives in an area (Ohio) where basements are standard it's a mind fuck.
Also, to add, I went from iowa to Oklahoma for a few years. Seemed like no one down there had basements. I couldn't figure out why they didn't.

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder
Also, to add, I went from iowa to Oklahoma for a few years. Seemed like no one down there had basements. I couldn't figure out why they didn't.
Yeah it's just a big change. Some slabs don't even have a crawl.

Its mind blowing how much building standards vary by area.

Jtrain80

Legendary

In colder climates the heat will travel vertically through floors creating cost efficiencies.

Also land is more expensive in northern cities/states, hence building multilevel.

^^that's all I can come up with for the things I have noticed traveling from OK to northern places.

We have some crawl spaces left, but that was phased out in the 80's I guess?

TJHall1

Legendary
In colder climates the heat will travel vertically through floors creating cost efficiencies.

Also land is more expensive in northern cities/states, hence building multilevel.

^^that's all I can come up with for the things I have noticed traveling from OK to northern places.

We have some crawl spaces left, but that was phased out in the 80's I guess?
In any climate heat travels vertically thru floors....

tgsio

Legendary
Founder

Coming from Texas to Ohio...

I do have to say I love having a basement that I never knew I needed.

I can't imagine the cost of blasting rock to build in a basement in Dallas.

316what

Poster
Founder
I just don't understand how they could be frozen when the frost line isn't close to how deep the water lines should be.

My kitchen sink is on an exterior wall that catches all of the wind from the west. It is the only faucet that I’ve had freeze in the winter….twice in 10 years.

When it happens I do 2 things: open the cabinet and put a heat lamp in front of the cabinet doors and run a hair dryer on the main line in the basement. Usually thaws it out in a couple of hours.

tgsio

Legendary
Founder

Because a few meters down, it's solid rock. It's not easy or cheap to dig a basement in Texas or Oklahoma.

My house in Dallas (Rowlett, to be exact)...I had a closet under the stairs fortified as a storm shelter/safe room.

TJHall1

Legendary
Because a few meters down, it's solid rock. It's not easy or cheap to dig a basement in Texas or Oklahoma.

My house in Dallas (Rowlett, to be exact)...I had a closet under the stairs fortified as a storm shelter/safe room.
Seriously? Solid rock?

TJHall1

Legendary

So after a little research I figured out that the reason there are few basements in Oklahoma and Texas is not because its solid rock a few meters down. That is a complete crock. Not sure where you came up with that one.

TJHall1

Legendary
I've lived in Oklahoma my whole life.
We have a shallow water table in parts of the state. Houses built back in the day w/ basements ran into flooding problems, at least in my experience.

No new homes these days are built with basements.
Ya, the clay soil which holds moisture and low water table are why people don't have basements. Has nothing to do with having to do any "blasting" on solid rock while digging a basement.

Also the frost line in southern states is much shallower, meaning in northern states you're already digging deep enough for footings that basements are a cheap extra level.

Cowboy1stn10

Elite
Neighbor had the same issue and took a hair dryer to the water line above the water heater for 15 minutes and the water started flowing, will be doing this in 90 min

Live right on the Edmond/OKC border, my frozen fixtures just un-f'd themselves. Thinking the snow half ass insulated the slab enough for the house heat to overcome the outside temps.

tenor.gif

ttyh

Legendary
Founder
I just know it’s hilarious watching people freak out here in Austin.

It's been pretty miserable. We got about 7-8" of snow at the house Sunday night/Monday morning. We have been below freezing for going on 5 days now. Lost power for about 44 hours on Mon/Tue and it got a little chilly in the house. 40 inside the house when we woke up Tuesday. Had a pipe burst this morning. Got to dig around in the snow for an hour looking for my water main so I could shut it down. That was a fanfuckingtastic time. Now we are without water. Thankfully the water from the busted pipe was only flowing outside and into the garage through the wall. But hey, at least we got power back late last night, and we don't have water in the house like other friends and neighbors.

We also had a lovely ice storm come through last night that now has large limbs snapping off of my majestic Magnolia in the backyard. My probably close to 100 year old Oak in the backyard has limbs kissing the ground and I'm worried that any second I am going to lose some of those limbs, too. If anyone has any ideas as to what to do in this situation with the Oak, I'm all ears. Was seriously considering a blow dryer and an extension cord.

Also have a large pool by home pool standards(about 25,000-30,000 gallons) and it's frozen solid all the way across and I'm guessing the depth of the ice is 3+". Never in a million years thought I would see this pool frozen over.

I'm ready to get above freezing and look at this event in the rearview. Hope everyone is staying safe and warm.

Don Johnson

Poster
Founder
I’ve got power back, and a generator now for if/when that bitch goes out again. This reminds me of a quote from one George W Bush.

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

TheNJNole

Elite
Founder
It’s minus 27 with the windchill in Oklahoma. Heat is great. I sent in a “ticket” with the city my water ain’t working. I have never been without water before. Is there anything I can/need to do? House is 3 weeks old
Thanks fellas.
What kinda heating system do you have?

Water lines copper or pex?

TheNJNole

Elite
Founder
It's been pretty miserable. We got about 7-8" of snow at the house Sunday night/Monday morning. We have been below freezing for going on 5 days now. Lost power for about 44 hours on Mon/Tue and it got a little chilly in the house. 40 inside the house when we woke up Tuesday. Had a pipe burst this morning. Got to dig around in the snow for an hour looking for my water main so I could shut it down. That was a fanfuckingtastic time. Now we are without water. Thankfully the water from the busted pipe was only flowing outside and into the garage through the wall. But hey, at least we got power back late last night, and we don't have water in the house like other friends and neighbors.

We also had a lovely ice storm come through last night that now has large limbs snapping off of my majestic Magnolia in the backyard. My probably close to 100 year old Oak in the backyard has limbs kissing the ground and I'm worried that any second I am going to lose some of those limbs, too. If anyone has any ideas as to what to do in this situation with the Oak, I'm all ears. Was seriously considering a blow dryer and an extension cord.

Also have a large pool by home pool standards(about 25,000-30,000 gallons) and it's frozen solid all the way across and I'm guessing the depth of the ice is 3+". Never in a million years thought I would see this pool frozen over.

I'm ready to get above freezing and look at this event in the rearview. Hope everyone is staying safe and warm.
You know how to sweat cooper?

TheNJNole

Elite
Founder
When you have copper lines and experience a deep freeze and a sustained loss of power, drain all the heating lines.

Leave faucets running or drain them too.

Fill buckets of water to dump into toilet tank to flush.

Simmer007

Poster
Founder
When you have copper lines and experience a deep freeze and a sustained loss of power, drain all the heating lines.

Leave faucets running or drain them too.

Fill buckets of water to dump into toilet tank to flush.
Appreciate it. Have a couple 5 gallon jugs, been using toilets. All faucets on but no water coming through. Hopefully will be good by tomorrow or Saturday as weather will be upper 30’s

TheNJNole

Elite
Founder
Appreciate it. Have a couple 5 gallon jugs, been using toilets. All faucets on but no water coming through. Hopefully will be good by tomorrow or Saturday as weather will be upper 30’s
I'm sure you and the fam could always hang in a tee-pee for a bit..... lol

Learn how to sweat a pipe / fitting. Will pay major dividends in a situation like this.

Fvck paying some dude +$500 just to show up for an emergency call.

ttyh

Legendary
Founder
It’s crazy to think how cold you guys are and it’s 87° here in Naples today, AC is cranked on high.

Day 6 here of consecutive sub freezing days in Austin. Snowing again at the moment and reports are we are expecting another couple inches of snow this afternoon. Never thought I would see a winter storm like this here.

Just caught my 63 lb Catahoula puppy standing on the frozen deep end of the pool. Freaked me out.

Lethal34fl2

Poster
Founder
Day 6 here of consecutive sub freezing days in Austin. Snowing again at the moment and reports are we are expecting another couple inches of snow this afternoon. Never thought I would see a winter storm like this here.

Just caught my 63 lb Catahoula puppy standing on the frozen deep end of the pool. Freaked me out.
Damn that’s crazy, never seen something like this in Texas.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
That's tornado area too so no basements seem insane. Almost everyone who can afford a basement in KY has a basement and most will admit its for tornados/bad weather.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
Coming from Texas to Ohio...

I do have to say I love having a basement that I never knew I needed.

I can't imagine the cost of blasting rock to build in a basement in Dallas.
iu

Blasting isn't needed anymore. This isn't cheap but you can get a basement in really hard limestone in 2 days.

Simmer007

Poster
Founder
Looks like no damage (that I can tell). If I had to guess, the frozen pipe was outside my house before it got to my water heater because I had all the cupboards open, heat jacked up for 4 days and not a drop came out of any single faucet. Then today, the floodgates came as the weather went to 45 degrees

lhpvol

Poster
Looks like no damage (that I can tell). If I had to guess, the frozen pipe was outside my house before it got to my water heater because I had all the cupboards open, heat jacked up for 4 days and not a drop came out of any single faucet. Then today, the floodgates came as the weather went to 45 degrees
Just to be sure, make sure all the faucets and everything are shut off and no one is flushing a toilet or using water. Then go out and check your meter to make sure its not running. If it is, you got a leak somewhere.

Simmer007

Poster
Founder
Just to be sure, make sure all the faucets and everything are shut off and no one is flushing a toilet or using water. Then go out and check your meter to make sure its not running. If it is, you got a leak somewhere.
Great advice, thank you

Top Bottom