Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

No humble brags allowed

120north

Elite
Founder
My boy leaves for college in a couple of weeks. He will be attending Colgate to play football. 6'-5" DE being converted to TE. Summer workouts are getting underway with camp starting Aug 5. Their first game is at Stanford. Looking forward to seeing some meaningful college football this fall. Pretty proud of him for leveraging football to get a good education.

champsballs

Elite
Founder
My 7yr old is turning into a beast. He’s always been the biggest tallest kid in his grade and the one above him. Baseball was too easy for him with the 8yr olds he didn’t give up a single hit pitching so we tried the 10yr old league and he struggled at first but finally figured it out. He struck out his first at bat got really mad and since then he crowds the plate like a little asshole and gets hit almost every time and only rubbed it once when he took one off the tailbone. If his temper gets as bad as me and my sister he’s going to kill someone.
Also started doing a swim team league thing and by the 3rd meet he’s got records for butterfly and breaststroke and he’s one of youngest in 8yr old division. He will get the other strokes records the next few meets and he hasn’t even learned how to dive yet. He tries to go off the blocks like the big kids but splashes into the water like dog it’s hilarious

BTAvenger

Elite
My oldest is in the middle of hell week at VMI. We got to talk to him last night for five minutes. He said it sucks which is predictable but it’s fine. A couple kids of already quit because it was too hard. I told him they’ve had decades upon decades to perfect the art of making hell week suck so just win the day and move on to the next. He sounded good. His basketball coaches are allowed to be in the area and observe some of the shit they do and he’s had a chance to talk to them some. That has helped. Here are the before and after photos from Saturday when we dropped him off.A7B92B2D-CD52-4339-933E-BF09F94D29AB.jpeg

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
My oldest is in the middle of hell week at VMI. We got to talk to him last night for five minutes. He said it sucks which is predictable but it’s fine. A couple kids of already quit because it was too hard. I told him they’ve had decades upon decades to perfect the art of making hell week suck so just win the day and move on to the next. He sounded good. His basketball coaches are allowed to be in the area and observe some of the shit they do and he’s had a chance to talk to them some. That has helped. Here are the before and after photos from Saturday when we dropped him off.View attachment 129134
The military colleges aren't for me, however, they will turn him into a man real quick. If he can make it through it will be a great accomplishment and serve him well!

ShaolinNole

Legendary
My younger daughter (no pics ever) was accepted into two of the most prestigious public high schools here in NYC. The process here is a little different than just picking a good neighborhood. She had to take 2 placement exams, write 5 essays for different schools, a video self-interview, 2 audition videos and a callback live audition.

First is LaGuardia High School. It’s the HS in the movie Fame. They have singing, dancing, music, acting and fine arts, but also great academics. Kids that do well here in academics here can basically write their own ticket to college in the Northeast because of the reputation of the arts programs. She’s one of 59 dancers they offered out of over 2000 that auditioned. In addition to the video submissions, they had a full day of callback auditions where teachers reviewed their barre, basic techniques, pointe techniques, recall and more. They also had to perform live one of their submitted video dances. Also the new Principal has been a dance instructor there for 35 years and will be the opposite of woke as for as achievement goes.

Second is Brooklyn Latin, which is a public school focused on languages and has an IB program. It’s one of the top 8 academic high schools in NYC, based solely on a single assessment score. It’s also the only public school in NYC that requires uniforms so the kids can focus on academics. We were initially leaning in this direction but the commute on public transit there is hell and after going out there, the area does not appear to be the safest.

Good thing about both of these schools is that because they are achievement based, they won’t be dropping in any ESL migrant kids like they have been doing to middle schools.

Last edited:

thenick_ttu

Elite
Founder
My younger daughter (no pics ever) was accepted into two of the most prestigious public high schools here in NYC. The process here is a little different than just picking a good neighborhood. She had to take 2 placement exams, write 5 essays for different schools, a video self-interview, 2 audition videos and a callback live audition.

First is LaGuardia High School. It’s the HS in the movie Fame. They have singing, dancing, music, acting and fine arts, but also great academics. Kids that do well here in academics here can basically write their own ticket to college in the Northeast because of the reputation of the arts programs. She’s one of 59 dancers they offered out of over 2000 that auditioned. In addition to the video submissions, they had a full day of callback auditions where teachers reviewed their barre, basic techniques, pointe techniques, recall and more. They also had to perform live one of their submitted video dances. Also the new Principal has been a dance instructor there for 35 years and will be the opposite of woke as for as achievement goes.

Second is Brooklyn Latin, which is a public school focused on languages and has an IB program. It’s one of the top 8 academic high schools in NYC, based solely on a single assessment score. It’s also the only public school in NYC that requires uniforms so the kids can focus on academics. We were initially leaning in this direction but the commute on public transit there is hell and after going out there, the area does not appear to be the safest.

Good thing about both of these schools is that because they are achievement based, they won’t be dropping in any ESL migrant kids like they have been doing to middle schools.

This is awesome. Congrats to her and y’all for raising a great student.

Does high school start in 9th grade? The only reason I ask is because it seems crazy to me that you’d let a 14/15 year old ride public transport (presumably alone) in NYC. Of course I have zero experience with NY public transport so maybe that’s totally normal.

ShaolinNole

Legendary
This is awesome. Congrats to her and y’all for raising a great student.

Does high school start in 9th grade? The only reason I ask is because it seems crazy to me that you’d let a 14/15 year old ride public transport (presumably alone) in NYC. Of course I have zero experience with NY public transport so maybe that’s totally normal.
Thanks! 9th grade but LaGuardia is a pretty easy commute that could be done via buses. Her current commute is an easy city bus ride, so this will be a little longer. If we take the subway I will end up going halfway and then she’ll go in the opposite direction than me at the halfway mark. There are also a lot of kids out commuting in the morning and mid afternoon. My older kid did it and was always on the lookout. It’s just part of growing up here, just like having a 16 year old driving alone in a 2500 lb chunk of metal everywhere else. Also it is maybe a 35 minute walk in an emergency and Uber’s and cabs are readily available as a last resort. The Latin school commute and neighborhood I am wholly uncomfortable with.

champsballs

Elite
Founder

This is awesome congrats. Sounds like a stressful situation

Top Bottom