Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Master Thread Maxxing out (or not): Health / exercise / supplement thread

Master Threads

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Not a resolution but currently bulking to 192 lbs (185 currently) then a slow cut back to 182. I've been pretty consistent with lifting and getting protein at every meal so going to take my attention to detail up a notch with tracking macros again.
I’ve been on the permabulk for 20 years so if you need any tips let me know

Old Glory

Legendary
Founder
Had a couple of days last week where I had to workout after the kids went to sleep ~9:00pm ish and definitely did not have the energy like I do in the morning but I got them done and have been back at in the AM this week. I was glad that I chose to do the work even though I was tired and would rather have done plenty of other things.

Cletusnow

Made the run from Texarkana to Atlanta
Founder
Also every once in a while everyone breaks down and chows down on some sweets. Don't get to down on yourself.

Just dust yourself off the next day and eliminate the sugar again.

Just start back over.
How’s your gall bladder and stomach? Had terrible abdominal pain and heartburn when I went high fat.

HnstTune

Elite
Founder
I had ballooned up to about 240 middle of last year. Lifetime of wreckless behavior really. Decided enough was enough. Started running. Mixing in daily core work, lots of push-ups, some basic dumbbell exercises (I only have a set of 20s) and paying closer attention to my diet. All total down about 40 lbs since July. My goal is 50 so still a few to shed. Holidays were tough but getting refocused in the new year.

AgEngDawg

Legendary
How’s your gall bladder and stomach? Had terrible abdominal pain and heartburn when I went high fat.
Not bad. I had some initial heart burn but it seems to have abated.

Seems with a lot of chees and sourcream I don't have it as much.

When I go too high with olive oil I do have some heartburn, but I just accept it as better than the alternative.

Also, since december I have been going a little higher in meat.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder

CurtOFD78

Elite
I know I need to lose some serious weight to be truly healthy and live how I want to live. My biggest problem is honestly will power when it comes to eating and drinking. My body aches a bit more nowadays, which makes it harder to get up and go run or do some strenuous cardio. I turned 50 last October. I do go to the gym 3-4 days a week, but I'm at the point now I'm not lifting anything heavy, more like lighter weight for more reps. I'm not opposed to using supplements, but I really don't want to put too many chemicals into my body, but I'd LOVE to have more energy and ability to really push myself beyond what I think I can. Any of you over 50 men out there have any suggestions? I am always looking for new workouts, exercises, foods, supplements, vitamins etc. that can give me an edge. I'm not aiming to look like some sort of bodybuilder. Just want to be healthier.

Last edited:

CurtOFD78

Elite
You mentioned running, but have you ever considered getting a bike to ride?
I have a bike and I love to ride. I have a little problem though- after a few weeks in the spring of riding 10-15 a few times a week, I start to get this condition called piriformis syndrome. It's kinda like sciatica, and I always get it in the left hip and leg. Basically what happens once the piriformis syndrome kicks in is I start with my left foot getting pins and needles, which progresses up my leg and into my left hip. Once it reaches my hip, it feels like someone stuck an ice pick directly into the hip joint. The only way to make it go away in the moment is to sit for a while. This past summer, I had to go to physical therapy, did yoga, saw a chiropractor, and was taking Flexuril to make it go away before the wife and I went on a 2 week trip to Greece and Italy. I think I need to go get "fitted" for my bike, but I haven't done that yet. Sucks because in the spring in central Florida the temps are perfect for riding long distances.

Rusty Student

2023 Fantasy Baseball 🏆
Founder
I have a bike and I love to ride. I have a little problem though- after a few weeks in the spring of riding 10-15 a few times a week, I start to get this condition called piriformis syndrome. It's kinda like sciatica, and I always get it in the left hip and leg. Basically what happens once the piriformis syndrome kicks in is I start with my left foot getting pins and needles, which progresses up my leg and into my left hip. Once it reaches my hip, it feels like someone stuck an ice pick directly into the hip joint. The only way to make it go away in the moment is to sit for a while. This past summer, I had to go to physical therapy, did yoga, saw a chiropractor, and was taking Flexuril to make it go away before the wife and I went on a 2 week trip to Greece and Italy. I think I need to go get "fitted" for my bike, but I haven't done that yet. Sucks because in the spring in central Florida the temps are perfect for riding long distances.
Do you still stretch it out much?

Old Glory

Legendary
Founder
I know I need to lose some serious weight to be truly healthy and live how I want to live. My biggest problem is honestly will power when it comes to eating and drinking. My body aches a bit more nowadays, which makes it harder to get up and go run or do some strenuous cardio. I turned 50 last October. I do go to the gym 3-4 days a week, but I'm at the point now I'm not lifting anything heavy, more like lighter weight for more reps. I'm not opposed to using supplements, but I really don't want to put too many chemicals into my body, but I'd LOVE to have more energy and ability to really push myself beyond what I think I can. Any of you over 50 men out there have any suggestions? I am always looking for new workouts, exercises, foods, supplements, vitamins etc. that can give me an edge. I'm not aiming to look like some sort of bodybuilder. Just want to be healthier.

It all starts in your mind. Alcohol is a literal poison in your body. Once I learned that I cut way back and I wasn't even drinking that much to begin with. I love how it tastes, wine, whiskey, beer, tequila, all taste good to me so I enjoy having a glass or two to sip on. There are so many good non-alcoholic options out there now and they taste good. Athletic Brewing (JJ Watt is part owner), Heineken Alcohol Free are some good starters. We have local breweries around here that make them on tap as well.

Preparing food ahead of time in batches helps too. If you have food made, then you don't need to go out or eat that cookie or whatever. I'll prep a batch of chicken one night, veggies the next, ground beef after that, etc.

Creatine and protein powder should be staples. Protein powder is only necessary if you don't get enough protein from whole foods so really you might just need creatine. It's almost impossible to get enough creatine from food and creatine has been shown to be one of the most impactful and safe supplements to take.

I'd say (as long as your doctor approves of course) is try to lift heavy. You'll be sore at first but making your body stronger might will likely help with the problems you are having. Don't switch up your workouts too often, muscle confusion is not real and will only hinder progress, but make sure you are having fun.

Disclaimer: I'm not over 50.

Top Bottom