Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Magnesium shortage on the verge of shutting down industry in Europe

CDDP

Legendary
Founder
Years of moving heavy industry and reliance on supply chains to China probably wasn’t the best idea.

Europe purchases 95% of its magnesium from China, will run out of the industrial metal used to strengthen aluminum by the end of November that could threaten millions of jobs in sectors from automobiles to aerospace to defense and much more, according to Bloomberg.

Three trade groups, including European Aluminium, Eurometaux, and industriAll, warn shipments from China are dwindling quick due to power cuts to energy-intensive magnesium smelters. They said if reserves of the industrial metal aren't increased in the near term, it may result in trade production shortages, factory closures, and job losses.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Years of moving heavy industry and reliance on supply chains to China probably wasn’t the best idea.

Europe purchases 95% of its magnesium from China, will run out of the industrial metal used to strengthen aluminum by the end of November that could threaten millions of jobs in sectors from automobiles to aerospace to defense and much more, according to Bloomberg.

Three trade groups, including European Aluminium, Eurometaux, and industriAll, warn shipments from China are dwindling quick due to power cuts to energy-intensive magnesium smelters. They said if reserves of the industrial metal aren't increased in the near term, it may result in trade production shortages, factory closures, and job losses.

This is interesting. If I remember correctly, Elon Musk said something about China's power supply being under pressure a couple months ago.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
One of my daughters takes magnesium before bed every night to help with leg cramps. I wonder if this will have effect on nutritional magnesium supplements

CDDP

Legendary
Founder
This is interesting. If I remember correctly, Elon Musk said something about China's power supply being under pressure a couple months ago.
This is a weird one. Not just an issue of Covid screwed up supply chains but electricity prices got too high and they shut down the smelters in China and now because of a high electricity price jobs will be lost in manufacturing in Europe. Same with in the UK with fertilizer getting shut down because of Nat gas.

Last edited:

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
This is a weird one. Not just an issue of Covid screwed up supply chains but electricity prices got to high and they shut down the smelters in China and now because of a high electricity price jobs will be lost in manufacturing in Europe. Same with in the UK with fertilizer getting shut down because of Nat gas.

This was from about a month ago.

1635164481692.png

1635166147940.png

Last edited:

Zgdaf

Elite
Founder
One of my daughters takes magnesium before bed every night to help with leg cramps. I wonder if this will have effect on nutritional magnesium supplements
I was also thinking magnesium supplement supplies.. lol

Btw everyone should be taking magnesium supplements. Look up jigsaw.

AgEngDawg

Legendary

This MFer used to work on recovering magnesium, lithium, manganese, and nickel from industrial wastewater streams.

Was hard to get funding back then. Oh I bet it is easier now.

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
Time for countries to get off this environmental nitwittery and go get the metals you need from wherever and not worry about environmental compliance...or...welcome to the depression.

Countries have given in to this environmental stranglehold and denied themselves secure access to products all the while allowing, even encouraging, China and India to avoid all environmental edicts. Slit your own throat while China laughs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom