Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Landscapers/guys with plant knowledge GITT

Chris Farley

Misunderstood lurker
Founder
So I’m trying to do a New Orleans/tropical theme in my backyard beds. The problem is, the backyard is full sun and I know most of those Nola plants need shade. What are some plants/flowers/shrubs/trees that would look good with what I’m trying to go for?

4E07C519-09C7-4933-9F7A-E0C2B3C7ABFB.jpeg3936754B-42F5-45A4-B949-5C106A104DDC.jpeg48F128E1-67D3-4291-82BA-B87FFD50D841.jpeg6DA93D58-17A1-49FD-ACF5-CE844C857843.jpeg7FB7D728-7784-407A-AE1E-581E90D241AE.jpeg

Chris Farley

Misunderstood lurker
Founder
Try some redwoods.

hiF8tAyOCj3WoOBY0iQfl7a35yRgp4.gif

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Cant help you there dude. May wanna try some apple, pear oR cherry trees for shade.
Lemon grass will keep skeeters away

Jtrain80

Legendary
Plants are classified by how much sun they get. Is the area in direct light all day?

RJ2kWJ

Elite
Founder
When I lived in NOLA I noticed elephant ears everywhere. In fact they’re in your first pic. My mom has them back home in her backyard by the pool and they take sun aaallllllll day all year. Never a lick of shade.

I expect to be invited to the first major cookout. 🤣

1622830843412.jpeg

Last edited:

RKirkD

Legendary
Founder
The banana tree (not hammock) will do great in full son. I had those by my pool in the last house (Austin TX) and they took off. As long as you keep them watered and pull the little offshoots that sprout up, I'd typically see at least one big batch of banana's before the first freeze. The trees also died off but bounced back every year once we cut back the dead tops.

RKirkD

Legendary
Founder
When I lived in NOLA I noticed elephant ears everywhere. In fact they’re in your first pic. My mom has them back home in her backyard by the pool and they take sun aaallllllll day all year. Never a lick of shade.

I expect to be invited to the first major cookout. 🤣

View attachment 24976
Those are huge. I bought the elephant ear bulbs and whatever the one below it in red is at costco about a month ago and planted them in a bed beneath some shitty little scrub oaks. Do they all get that big or were those an exception? I had no idea they got that big.....but it's on our fence line in line with the pool so they may get as big as the trees....but I'm going to love the privacy aspect. Plus those look cool.

IrishStout

Poster
Those are huge. I bought the elephant ear bulbs and whatever the one below it in red is at costco about a month ago and planted them in a bed beneath some shitty little scrub oaks. Do they all get that big or were those an exception? I had no idea they got that big.....but it's on our fence line in line with the pool so they may get as big as the trees....but I'm going to love the privacy aspect. Plus those look cool.
There are multiple varieties of elephant ears(caladium) We had some at the house I grew up in that were well over 6ft tall. I believe they are sold in nurseries as ‘giant’ elephant ears.

RJ2kWJ

Elite
Founder
What @IrishStout said. Many varieties. From small to ginormous.

Astragalus

Poster
Founder
I like elephant ears, as has already been suggested. I also like lantana. Loves sun and blooms like crazy. I think I saw on another post of yours that you are making a pergola. Bougainvillea would be perfect for growing up along that structure. It does great in warm climate. My two cents. Can‘t wait to see how your project turns out!

Chris Farley

Misunderstood lurker
Founder
Ok so this is what I came up with:0CC9DB5E-6428-42EE-9C8E-D5B3C7D462FE.jpeg5B414AEA-5626-42CE-8287-42E8D15E1D24.jpeg

Found a bunch of good looking full sun tropical plants: got some Hawaiian Tis that surround the Palm, got a banana tree, some hibiscus, a bird of paradise, split leaf philadendriam, some lemongrass....a couple other things, think it’s gonna look really good as they start to grow together. NOW, question of the day; what is the best product out there to help grass grow back. Should I get grass seed? Scott’s? Any info would be appreciated!

Chris Farley

Misunderstood lurker
Founder
Anybody know what kind of weed this is and how I can prevent it or kill them without hurting my shrubs?image.jpg

Astragalus

Poster
Founder
Anybody know what kind of weed this is and how I can prevent it or kill them without hurting my shrubs?View attachment 25705
Can’t tell for sure from the picture, but it looks like wild garlic. Could be wild union. You can usually tell by the smell. They are bulb plants. The safest thing would be to pull them by hand and make sure you get the bulb. Hopefully they don’t come back. You could try spot spraying them with weed killer, but you have to be careful around your other plants, of course. If you haven’t planted yet, you can spray before planting. Scorched earth with long acting weed killer. Wait a week or two then plant. Also not a bad idea to add weed barrier. Hope that helps.

Chris Farley

Misunderstood lurker
Founder
Can’t tell for sure from the picture, but it looks like wild garlic. Could be wild union. You can usually tell by the smell. They are bulb plants. The safest thing would be to pull them by hand and make sure you get the bulb. Hopefully they don’t come back. You could try spot spraying them with weed killer, but you have to be careful around your other plants, of course. If you haven’t planted yet, you can spray before planting. Scorched earth with long acting weed killer. Wait a week or two then plant. Also not a bad idea to add weed barrier. Hope that helps.
Yeah I have a weed fabric down but these sumbitches just pop right on through!

Latest posts

Top Bottom