Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Anyone have garden/flower bed experience?

Chris Farley

Misunderstood lurker
Founder
So, I did the front bed with sunshine ligustrum, white azaleas, and kaleidoscope. Used straw and bordered it with stone...don’t mind the patch of dead grass. I killed it spinning around on that fucking dingo I rented. Yes the same one I used to dump in the woods...anywho,
6C33FAED-C421-4032-954D-E4B20237D71C.jpeg

So now I’m moving on to the backyard. Should be finishing up this paver patio in the next day or 2. When I’m done, I plan on getting my backyard beds set up. Here’s what I wanna go with, I love Nola, and have always had an appreciation for their gardens/greenery. Anyone with any gardening or flower bed experience...what are some typical New Orleans style plants for that type of theme? I know palms, ferns, elephant ears, and hanging “boxy” greenery are good. What are some other types? I also want to add a small water feature. Wanna make it as Nola as possible in the backyard. Any help would be much appreciated! TIA

Last edited:

sanction

Legendary
Founder
You gotta fix that dead grass before you move on.

It’s going to cause problems with your wife when she catches the neighbors wife
staring at it.

IrishStout

Poster
So, I did the front bed with sunshine ligustrum, white azaleas, and kaleidoscope. Used straw and bordered it with stone...don’t mind the patch of dead grass. I killed it spinning around on that fucking dingo I rented. Yes the same one I used to dump in the woods...anywho,
View attachment 23376

So now I’m moving on to the backyard. Should be finishing up this paver patio in the next day or 2. When I’m done, I plan on getting my backyard beds set up. Here’s what I wanna go with, I love Nola, and have always had an appreciation for their gardens/greenery. Anyone with any gardening or flower bed experience...what are some typical New Orleans style plants for that type of theme? I know palms, ferns, elephant ears, and hanging “boxy” greenery are good. What are some other types? I also want to add a small water feature. Wanna make it as Nola as possible in the backyard. Any help would be much appreciated! TIA
Where are you located? My father is a master gardener and lives in NOLA. I’d be happy to ask him for a list of plants he considers ‘quintessential NOLA’ that would do well in your climate.

Chris Farley

Misunderstood lurker
Founder
Where are you located? My father is a master gardener and lives in NOLA. I’d be happy to ask him for a list of plants he considers ‘quintessential NOLA’ that would do well in your climate.
Should be same climate, live in fairhope, _AL. Only like 2 1/2 hrs away on the gulf

IrishStout

Poster
Just got off of the phone with pops and he had many questions. Do you want evergreens or not? Full sun, shaded, partially shaded? How much height do you have available? He’d also like a picture of the space you’re working with.

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
Just got off of the phone with pops and he had many questions. Do you want evergreens or not? Full sun, shaded, partially shaded? How much height do you have available? He’d also like a picture of the space you’re working with.
Have to consider all these things.

Encore azaleas are nice but need about 6 hours sun daily and bloom 3 times a year. All azaleas like acid soil and need to be watered often---shallow root system. Lots of things like sun but choices for shade are limited. Gardenias are good shade plants as are hydrangeas. Be aware of their growth heights. I've got mostly shady areas at my house and plant choices are limited. Although I did plant 3 rose bushes next to my azaleas in the sunniest area I have. Bed prep is key.

I read in the Farmer's Almanac that roses do very well if you put a 16 penny nail and 4" piece of drywall in the bottom of the hole before planting. Both provide nutrients for roses. The nail is iron and drywall is calcium. Interesting but didn't do it.

IrishStout

Poster

Encore azaleas are nice but need about 6 hours sun daily and bloom 3 times a year. All azaleas like acid soil and need to be watered often---shallow root system. Lots of things like sun but choices for shade are limited. Gardenias are good shade plants as are hydrangeas. Be aware of their growth heights. I've got mostly shady areas at my house and plant choices are limited. Although I did plant 3 rose bushes next to my azaleas in the sunniest area I have. Bed prep is key.

I read in the Farmer's Almanac that roses do very well if you put a 16 penny nail and 4" piece of drywall in the bottom of the hole before planting. Both provide nutrients for roses. The nail is iron and drywall is calcium. Interesting but didn't do it.
Dad?

Chris Farley

Misunderstood lurker
Founder
I’ll text you

Chris Farley

Misunderstood lurker
Founder
I'd get some pointers from @JerBearr

to all, I’m looking for something like this, but as a bed:

82B2D3AF-2FE3-4F4D-952E-E33C5651B5FF.jpeg27C2E3FA-AC54-44E2-A071-E89B8F7D9C81.jpeg2D5C1A2F-BBD4-4F74-9676-A25DD2350C11.jpeg9325361F-4C68-41E7-B066-7B4978E22A46.jpeg7ACB40FE-8F82-4D81-AEAE-089CDF1FBA59.jpeg

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Throw some elephant ears and a palm bush or two then start drinkin again.
My grass will be getting mowed for the first time this weekend. I m actually excited. But my water bill makes me think i should have sodded the shit but oh well.
I m gonna put a veg garden in my side front yard. ZFG as i live country hood estates

BurntJ

B2B Champ/ Feels Great to be King!
Founder
View attachment 23376

1st recommendation is move the home or burn it down....if your backyard doesn’t have an illustrious view....of a Taco Bell...your doing it wrong OP (right @JerBearr ).

Now is the tricky part...follow each instruction carefully....or you will pay a price.

1) hurry to nearest drug store and buy the LARGEST LUBE EVER MADE.

2) Go home...and this is important...bring your wallet in the house.
3) Call local contractors to come bud job.
4) Hand lube and wallet to said contractors....and ENJOY.

This is pretty much how it goes for me...so good luck bud and make sure you follow the details carefully....or prepare your bunghole dude.

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
Throw some elephant ears and a palm bush or two then start drinkin again.
My grass will be getting mowed for the first time this weekend. I m actually excited. But my water bill makes me think i should have sodded the shit but oh well.
I m gonna put a veg garden in my side front yard. ZFG as i live country hood estates
Dear gawd do not put in Elephant Ears, worst plant on the planet. Will be cutting those things down forever. Grow like Kudzu.

OP

The yard all you need to do is treat it with Talstar to kill the mole crickets (they are really bad in this area) once a year and do two applications 10 days a part. Then a treatment of weed n feed and one treatment with pelletized lime in the spring. Long as you water it in the early morning it will be green af.

Yard will turn brown in November till march nothing you can do about that with Centipede but means you don't have to cut in the winter.

Can't help you on the garden I'm to lazy for that shit.

Chris Farley

Misunderstood lurker
Founder
Dear gawd do not put in Elephant Ears, worst plant on the planet. Will be cutting those things down forever. Grow like Kudzu.

OP

The yard all you need to do is treat it with Talstar to kill the mole crickets (they are really bad in this area) once a year and do two applications 10 days a part. Then a treatment of weed n feed and one treatment with pelletized lime in the spring. Long as you water it in the early morning it will be green af.

Yard will turn brown in November till march nothing you can do about that with Centipede but means you don't have to cut in the winter.

Can't help you on the garden I'm to lazy for that shit.
So the brown dead spot you see is strictly from me doing turns right there on the tracked dozer. It’s not like it was just a dead spot. Can I still revive it?

TheNJNole

Elite
Founder
View attachment 23376

You need to borrow @JerBearr sprayer and spray paint that dead shit green.... lol

JerBearr

1st recommendation is move the home or burn it down....if your backyard doesn’t have an illustrious view....of a Taco Bell...your doing it wrong OP (right @JerBearr ).

Now is the tricky part...follow each instruction carefully....or you will pay a price.

1) hurry to nearest drug store and buy the LARGEST LUBE EVER MADE.

2) Go home...and this is important...bring your wallet in the house.
3) Call local contractors to come bud job.
4) Hand lube and wallet to said contractors....and ENJOY.

This is pretty much how it goes for me...so good luck bud and make sure you follow the details carefully....or prepare your bunghole dude.
The first part is very true

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
Don't plant 4 O'Clocks either. They have nice flowers but reseed themselves and spread. Very difficult to get rid of once they are there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom