Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ITT we keep a Running List of Survival Items:

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
Not exactly. I think they are made to put in the water/fish tank to control infections in fish… except they come in a capsule/pill format. My MIL (registered nurse) told us about them and now we always keep some on hand. I’ve taken them a half dozen times over the years and never had a problem. In fact I just finished a “Z Pack” to knock out my covid pneumonia. Worked perfectly.

Antibiotics for fish are purer than those for humans. Fish cannot tolerate the "fillers" put into many human tablets and capsules. I have a stockpile of these I get from feed stores. Amoxicillin, Ampicillin, Cephalexin (Keflex) and others are available.

I have most of those things OP mentioned.

I also have:

Coffee filters and activated charcoal for filtration.
Cotton balls and petroleum jelly - burns a long time and can be used to start fires.
200-300 matchbooks my Dad had collected.
Several flint/steel fire starters.
One plastic container of clothing lint - see cotton balls and petroleum jelly.
Several containers for collecting water in the event I have to go to the creek or get runoff from rain. Use filters and charcoal for that too.
A couple of gas masks to protect from teargas.
Lots of coat hanger cardboard tubes. They make incredible "firecrackers". Have string for wicks.
Several razor sharp machetes and other knives - Marine KA-Bar, Croc Dundee knife, etc.
Lots of first aid stuff.
200 foot coil of 1/4" plastic tubing to siphon with or anything else.
Parachute cord - several bundles - and other ropes etc.

I found out during Texas' Icemageddon that candles are of little use and eventually burn away. Now, I have 5 oil lamps (extra lamp oil) which burn forever and put out more heat and light than candles. Plus, if needed, they can be used as Molotov cocktails whereas candles can't.

CurtOFD78

Elite
My personal stash looks like this:
medical supplies
old medications- still will work a little in the zombie apocalypse
disinfecting supplies- medical and cleaning
lighters and matches- you have to have ways to make fire
candles
Hand tools- axe, saw, all the other stuff you have in your garage
dry foods (rice) and pasta
canned goods
rope
small propane stoves
hygiene supplies
soap
means to collect water
Lots of fvcking alcohol
solar panels- gotta think these will be valuable if the grid goes down
drinking water filters
plenty of sharp objects if you gotta clean fish or skin critters
tarps
nails/screws
various "things" that I can neutralize hostile forces with
I also have various US military field manuals that can be useful for sanitation and other things.
a shit ton of batteries and a few small radios

Chris Farley

Misunderstood lurker
Founder
Antibiotics for fish are purer than those for humans. Fish cannot tolerate the "fillers" put into many human tablets and capsules. I have a stockpile of these I get from feed stores. Amoxicillin, Ampicillin, Cephalexin (Keflex) and others are available.

I also have:

Cotton balls and petroleum jelly - burns a long time and can be used to start fires.
Several containers for collecting water in the event I have to go to the creek or get runoff from rain. Use filters and charcoal for that too.
Lots of coat hanger cardboard tubes. They make incredible "firecrackers". Have string for wicks.
Several razor sharp machetes and other knives - Marine KA-Bar, Croc Dundee knife, etc.
Lots of first aid stuff.

I found out during Texas' Icemageddon that candles are of little use and eventually burn away. Now, I have 5 oil lamps (extra lamp oil) which burn forever and put out more heat and light than candles. Plus, if needed, they can be used as Molotov cocktails whereas candles can't.

My personal stash looks like this:
medical supplies
old medications- still will work a little in the zombie apocalypse
disinfecting supplies- medical and cleaning
lighters and matches- you have to have ways to make fire
candles
Hand tools- axe, saw, all the other stuff you have in your garage
dry foods (rice) and pasta
canned goods
rope
small propane stoves
hygiene supplies
soap
means to collect water
Lots of fvcking alcohol
solar panels- gotta think these will be valuable if the grid goes down
drinking water filters
plenty of sharp objects if you gotta clean fish or skin critters
tarps
nails/screws
various "things" that I can neutralize hostile forces with
I also have various US military field manuals that can be useful for sanitation and other things.
a shit ton of batteries and a few small radios

This is what I’m talking about fellas. Good shit here. @imprimus can you explain the firecracker thing to me? Thanks man. All in all, really good lists men!

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder

I also have:

Lots of first aid stuff.

This is what I’m talking about fellas. Good shit here. @imprimus can you explain the firecracker thing to me? Thanks man. All in all, really good lists men!

Yes, go on about the firecracker cardboard tube. Also, good call on the oil lamp vs candle!

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
Yes, go on about the firecracker cardboard tube. Also, good call on the oil lamp vs candle!
When I was a teenager 55 years ago, a friend made gun powder (the formula was taught in chemistry class) in his chem lab in his backyard shed. We took these tubes and put the powder inside them (closed off the bottom and taped first). We pulled fuses from several firecrackers and taped them together and put inside the tubes. We now had a 15" long "firecracker". Of course, back then M-80s and other similar stuff no longer available were sold at fireworks stands but we had no car and were "poor".

These were very loud and powerful. We put one underneath a turned over metal trash can (remember them). We lit it and ran away. The force sent the trash can 20-25 feet in the air and it came down flattened with its sides blown out.

ShaolinNole

Legendary
I always have a case of pork n beans and a case of tuna in the house. Also two large containers of Dymatize protein drink powder. That’s always a good combo if shtf. Also have a waterBob that can hold fresh a bathtub full of water.

Not proud of it but I broke down last week and ordered a 3 month emergency food supply from 4Patriots. My family lives in Manhattan and there is 3 days worth of food on this island at any given time and dark winter is coming. So don’t judge me!

Jtrain80

Legendary
I always have a case of pork n beans and a case of tuna in the house. Also two large containers of Dymatize protein drink powder. That’s always a good combo if shtf. Also have a waterBob that can hold fresh a bathtub full of water.

Not proud of it but I broke down last week and ordered a 3 month emergency food supply from 4Patriots. My family lives in Manhattan and there is 3 days worth of food on this island at any given time and dark winter is coming. So don’t judge me!

I hope you have a boat. That place could turn to shit so fast.

ShaolinNole

Legendary
I hope you have a boat. That place could turn to shit so fast.
Yeah, unfortunately no boat. But could hunker down pretty easily for a few months. Starting to tell my family elsewhere to stock up a bit and buy Christmas gifts now.

Jtrain80

Legendary
Yeah, unfortunately no boat. But could hunker down pretty easily for a few months. Starting to tell my family elsewhere to stock up a bit and buy Christmas gifts now.

I am more concerned about food stuffs than Christmas gifts.

Jtrain80

Legendary

Forgot to add, does anyone have a screen shot before all the stupidity started for reference? I have become so skeptical lately of everything.

HumasButthole

Poster
Not exactly. I think they are made to put in the water/fish tank to control infections in fish… except they come in a capsule/pill format. My MIL (registered nurse) told us about them and now we always keep some on hand. I’ve taken them a half dozen times over the years and never had a problem. In fact I just finished a “Z Pack” to knock out my covid pneumonia. Worked perfectly.

I’ve currently got C19, which one is the Z-Pack equivalent?

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
DEFENSE/SECURITY:

Weapons and Ammo - not going to say what all I have on here but every family should own at least one of each of the following: a tactical rifle, long rifle, shotgun, probably 2 handguns. I think the minimum amount of ammo should be 2K rounds per weapon

That’s a good list but I would add a scoped air rifle/pellet gun in .22 cal. The rifle as well as the ammo is cheap and plentiful. Most use a piston system now so they last and probably the most important reason is the sound emitted is dampened enough you don’t send a beacon to whoever is in the area. Most children can be taught to operate with relative ease. In an urban setting this would be more useful than a large calibered long gun if you are depending on hunting small game for survival.
I am a fan of having multiple calibers so that you can use what ever you find. But I am also a fan of buying multiple of the same brand and caliber. If you like glock then dont get a springfield and S&W... just get 3 glocks. If 2 break you can use parts to possibly fix 1 or all the mags are interchangeable.

I bought 2 parts kits for my pistols. They should be good for decades.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder

I'd have some sort of inflatable boat too. If worse case happens and bridges and tunnels are too dangerous it would be nice to be able to row across to safety (NJ LOL).

thenick_ttu

Elite
Founder

I recently ran across this great guide on long term food storage in 5 gallon buckets. Tells you how much of each food type fits in a bucket. How much food you need per person for a year. Proper storing process. Etc, etc. Lots of great info IMO. I’m currently using this to store 1 year’s worth of food for my 4 person family.

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
Bought a bucket by ReadyWise at Costco yesterday. I'm all set except for the dried eggs, cornmeal and dried fruit. Just need to read the recipes for raccoon, armadillo and others I may trap. No skunks!

Went to a fireworks display last Sunday. Got out of the car and the smell of "skunk" was everywhere and the TCU basketball coach was nowhere to be seen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom