Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

I give it 6 weeks till this place is Parlar'd

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
putting it up on a public site seems like it is asking to get torpedoed once they realize the depravity of us degenerates.... Also hosting it on Cloudfare in San Fran seems like it is asking for trouble.

am-i-right-or-am-i-right-stephen-tobolowsky.gif

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
putting it up on a public site seems like it is asking to get torpedoed once they realize the depravity of us degenerates.... Also hosting it on Cloudfare in San Fran seems like it is asking for trouble.

am-i-right-or-am-i-right-stephen-tobolowsky.gif
This was a quality of life choice. We still have our server we have been using over the last year if we ever need it

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
We have our own infrastructure in place that we have been running in for a year. That’s not going away and nobody can take that away.

But we have problems off and on with internet issues, site lag, updates get messed up, etc. Some things we fix and some things we just have to patch up, but we have proven we can run the show.

Now, we let a business that owns a data center host us. It’s the same business that creates the forum software so they also provide administration for the forum. The site will run better, smoother, all the bugs will be worked out, all kinds of good stuff.

However if they decide they don’t want to host a free speech forum, well that’s fine. We just move back to our server and go on with our lives. But it takes a shitload of work on our end, and we cannot provide as good of a product.

So now we have a layered solution to get the best of both worlds

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Here is the evolution of this sites hosting:

1652748014268.png

The site cannot exist without either the cloud or the server

1. At first we were on a cloud hosting service. If they decide to not host us, the site goes away until we can find another solution (which would take months). This is where shit went wrong for Parler because once the cloud popper they had to spend months building their own infrastructure, and by the time they finished they lost all their momentum and hype

2. We built up our own server and infrastructure and have been running that way for over a year. No one can deplatform us.

3. We move back to the cloud to take advantage of a full IT staff, a data center with high bandwidth and no downtime. If the bubble pops, we just fall back to 2

We can't operate at 1 without the risk of being taken down. It takes months to go from 1 to 2, so if 1 takes you down and you don't have 2 in place, you are in serious trouble. Once you have 2 in place, you can hop back on cloud services to gain those benefits, without having the risk of being deplatformed

Actual it was @Cyberty that helped me understand this

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Here is the evolution of this sites hosting:

View attachment 101802

The site cannot exist without either the cloud or the server

1. At first we were on a cloud hosting service. If they decide to not host us, the site goes away until we can find another solution (which would take months). This is where shit went wrong for Parler because once the cloud popper they had to spend months building their own infrastructure, and by the time they finished they lost all their momentum and hype

2. We built up our own server and infrastructure and have been running that way for over a year. No one can deplatform us.

3. We move back to the cloud to take advantage of a full IT staff, a data center with high bandwidth and no downtime. If the bubble pops, we just fall back to 2

We can't operate at 1 without the risk of being taken down. It takes months to go from 1 to 2, so if 1 takes you down and you don't have 2 in place, you are in serious trouble. Once you have 2 in place, you can hop back on cloud services to gain those benefits, without having the risk of being deplatformed

Actual it was @Cyberty that helped me understand this
Reminds me if health insurance for our small business

D

Deleted member 2886

Cawt Damnit @Croot_Overlord where did my pepe and eye roll reaction go?
Wait, has everyone got, or had, this "eye roll" reaction previously?

Coz shit, I didn't even know we had that option til someone used it to react to a post of mine a few hours ago.

Is it a privilege available for 'Founders' only or something?

😁I'm probably just too cabbage and never noticed it before.
Is it one of these?
Screenshot_2022-05-18-02-51-17-06_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.jpg(the Pepe one is the only missing rn)

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Cawt Damnit @Croot_Overlord where did my pepe and eye roll reaction go?
They were deplatformed.

There are going to be somethings we have to iron out because they were wrongly implemented by me, but you’ll prob notice that a lot of other things will start working like the should. We had an issue where the @ didn’t autopopulate for all posters and now that’s working again

Top Bottom