Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HAM Radio Operators GITT

22*43*51

Boob Enthusiast
Founder
Who here is a licensed operator?

What is that testing process like?

How much trouble would I get in operating without the FCC's blessing.

What devices would you recommend for a beginner that just needs to reach inside the continental United States?

Edit: Will post nudes when I leave the office.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder

What devices would you recommend for a beginner that just needs to reach inside the continental United States?

FCC will bust your ass fast

TJHall1

Legendary
160039420.jpg

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder

So from what I’ve read, for starters just get you a cheap receiver. You can’t transmit with one of these but you can get use to moving through frequencies and listening to ham operators out there

The next thing would be to start preparing for the rest if you are serious. Prob find a decent course online for $50-100 that gets you ready for the test. Preparing for and taking the test will teach you a lot and give you a lot of info about operation

22*43*51

Boob Enthusiast
Founder
So from what I’ve read, for starters just get you a cheap receiver. You can’t transmit with one of these but you can get use to moving through frequencies and listening to ham operators out there

The next thing would be to start preparing for the rest if you are serious. Prob find a decent course online for $50-100 that gets you ready for the test. Preparing for and taking the test will teach you a lot and give you a lot of info about operation
There seems to be a lot of hype and content on different boards about this brand. Still trying to figure out the best fit for my needs.

F2789F9E-E540-47C8-9421-06F268D47484.jpeg

noelnole

Elite
Founder
i got my ham license few months ago, technician class

used hamstudy.org as the study guide

the test was pretty easy but i still have alot to learn about use and accessing repeaters (to gain more communication distance)

that boafeng transceiver is what i have but i was advised to create/build a better system than just the hand held receivers

one can only transmit on ham if its an emergency but its widely know that one doesnt transmit if not licensed because of the consequences

the faa knows cause when you transmitting you have to identify yourself with your call sign

i always wanted a ham just in case shite hit the fan and lose all means of communication

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
There seems to be a lot of hype and content on different boards about this brand. Still trying to figure out the best fit for my needs.

View attachment 77429

Give us a little background if you don’t mind? Sounds like something id be interested in.

Why are you interested in HAM and what can you use it for? Is it just an alternative means of communication?

catfishpunter

Elite
Founder
I am licensed. A couple thoughts:

- If you're going to do it, study for both your first two tests. Tech licenses are fine, bug you can't operate much on the HF frequencies. Your General license (the second one), opens up >80% of the band to you. It's worth it.

- Buy a Baofeng, but know that you're buying disposable Chinese trash. Better yet, don't buy a Baofeng and get something worthwhile. Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu are your best bets. Your first radio you buy won't be your last.

- DO NOT operate without a license. You will be found, turned in, and fined, and it won't be the government that finds you and turns you in. Old timer HAM operators are fiercely protective of the spectrum, and they have means of locating your signal. We have to police and defend our spectrum on our own; it's part of our agreement with the government that allows us to hold this multi-billion dollar piece of radio frequency real estate.

- The tests are not hard, and they will not prepare you to operate. Take a bunch of practice tests, read a couple books, and then find a testing site and date. After you pass (or even before), find a local radio club and start attending. There are way too many technical, safety, efficiency, and technique questions for you to ever learn on your own. Get to know the old-timers in a club. They are generally very generous and knowledgeable.

It's a fun hobby. I'm glad to answer questions you might have.

MalO

Elite
Back in the 90's my dad was a member of a outbander group (basically ham radio pirates) and he had a lot of fun with that.

I knocked down his long wire antenna playing with a broom. I was always doing stupid shit.

He still has all his radios and I think he listens in once in a while. I think he said there isn't nearly as much activity these days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom