Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Gustarosso San Marzano Tomatoes...get some

Nape

Elite
Founder
These San Marzano’s are widely considered the best you can buy. They come from a small co-op of growers and they are absolutely phenomenal. They are almost impossible to get but Gustiamo has them now at $6.80/can. If you like pasta you absolutely need to get a few cans of these.

Click link:
Gustiamo

They also have incredible pasta, the best EVOO, anchovies, etc.

Last edited:

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
These San Marzano’s are widely considered the best you can buy. They come from a small co-op of growers and they are absolutely phenomenal. They are almost impossible to get but Gustiamo has them now at $4.50/can. If you like pasta you absolutely need to get a few cans of these.

Click link:
Gustiamo

How long do they keep? I would think years since they are canned

catfishpunter

Elite
Founder
That's the wrong link, I think. Those are just their regular Italian tomatoes, which are still probably awesome. If you're looking for their San Marzanos, click on this page. They are $6.50/can. This is the product they're advertising there:

Gustiamo_Day1_071520160014_4BIPu

Nape

Elite
Founder
That's the wrong link, I think. Those are just their regular Italian tomatoes, which are still probably awesome. If you're looking for their San Marzanos, click on this page. They are $6.50/can. This is the product they're advertising there:

Gustiamo_Day1_071520160014_4BIPu
Yep. Didn’t know they had two types. I get emails from Gustiamo and just clicked on their link in that and it took me to the ones I linked. Didn’t see these until just now.
F195AD6B-9F32-48EF-88F6-0FEF2A3A5309.png

Nape

Elite
Founder
The DOP designation is the mark of the Italian government showing that the strict rules around the designation are followed. Parmesan Reggiano, Balsamic, prosciutto, tomatoes, EVOO....DOP is the best of the best. Our local Italian joint carries these DOP SM’s and they are spectacular.
62C3D751-F779-4A38-8B3B-A99949EA923D.png
Any DOP product will have this stamp on it:
hC92Spz.jpg

TheNJNole

Elite
Founder
These San Marzano’s are widely considered the best you can buy. They come from a small co-op of growers and they are absolutely phenomenal. They are almost impossible to get but Gustiamo has them now at $4.50/can. If you like pasta you absolutely need to get a few cans of these.

Click link:
Gustiamo

I'll raise you a Colluccio. My top and has yet to be dethrowned.

Private label DOP. I'm sure a similar concept. Problem, these tomatoes get hung up at the port. The old ladies go fvcking nuts come November and there is a delay for the holidays.....

Simmer007

Poster
Founder

Click link:
Gustiamo

Almost have my garden ready, first time. Will be panting in mid March. Going with 2 tomato plants (brandy wine)

468D6CB0-26CE-40C2-99E1-E8BC72031891.jpeg

Nape

Elite
Founder
I'll raise you a Colluccio. My top and has yet to be dethrowned.

Private label DOP. I'm sure a similar concept. Problem, these tomatoes get hung up at the port. The old ladies go fvcking nuts come November and there is a delay for the holidays.....

I’ve heard of them but never bought em. Looks like they are a distributer for a similar co-op/private grower.

Last edited:

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
I just ordered some but I am a relative neophyte when it comes to cooking. Anyone got a good sauce recipe to make using these tomatoes? I also ordered pasta as well and just want a nice simple sauce that will go well with it.

@Nape

Nape

Elite
Founder
I just ordered some but I am a relative neophyte when it comes to cooking. Anyone got a good sauce recipe to make using these tomatoes? I also ordered pasta as well and just want a nice simple sauce that will go well with it.

@Nape
I gotcha. A simple marinara is what you want to start. Add a couple meatballs or sausage links would be good too.

Nape

Elite
Founder
A pomodoro would work as well.

For a real good simple sauce:

Take as much garlic as you want (2-6 cloves, or add 4 cloves regular and 4 roasted) and cook it in really good EVOO over medium heat until you really smell the garlic. Don’t brown or burn it. Add in an onion, diced (OG is to halve the onion and put the halves in) and sauté until translucent. Add a 28oz can of San Marzano’s and season with S&P. I crush them in my hand and put them in the pot. Get that going to a low simmer and add a chunk of Parmesan rind (if you don’t have rind a regular piece works...the rind, however, has the most flavor). Once simmering add in some sprigs of basil (the entire sprig, stalk and all) and drop to medium low. Let that go for 45-60 minutes. Adjust seasoning to your liking.

Pull out the parm rind and basil sprigs. If you like your sauce smoother mash up the tomato chunks. I like it a little chunkier.

Cook whatever pasta you want (a little less than al dente) and then add to a pot with a couple cups of the sauce. Cook for 3-5 minutes until tender.

Shave fresh parm over and Mangia!!

Globalsaxophone

Poster
Founder
ITT for marinara. I also enjoy a good bolognese. I forget who had the thread about bolognese on tMB but I enjoy all the recipe posts. Ordering tomatoes on Valentine’s Day & the ole lady is already questioning me. Success.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
A pomodoro would work as well.

For a real good simple sauce:

Take as much garlic as you want (2-6 cloves, or add 4 cloves regular and 4 roasted) and cook it in really good EVOO over medium heat until you really smell the garlic. Don’t brown or burn it. Add in an onion, diced (OG is to halve the onion and put the halves in) and sauté until translucent. Add a 28oz can of San Marzano’s and season with S&P. I crush them in my hand and put them in the pot. Get that going to a low simmer and add a chunk of Parmesan rind (if you don’t have rind a regular piece works...the rind, however, has the most flavor). Once simmering add in some sprigs of basil (the entire sprig, stalk and all) and drop to medium low. Let that go for 45-60 minutes. Adjust seasoning to your liking.

Pull out the parm rind and basil sprigs. If you like your sauce smoother mash up the tomato chunks. I like it a little chunkier.

Cook whatever pasta you want (a little less than al dente) and then add to a pot with a couple cups of the sauce. Cook for 3-5 minutes until tender.

Shave fresh parm over and Mangia!!

Ok, so this is what I mean by being a neophyte.

This looks delicious but how much EVOO? How much basil? How much parm rind? Or does it really much matter?

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
Hey @Nape why don’t you do some videos? They would be great- pop an edible beforehand, drink a Gumball on camera and show us how to do this? I would pay to have someone who knows teach me how to cook authentic Italian.

I would chip in beforehand for you to get the A/V equipment you need.

Nape

Elite
Founder
Ok, so this is what I mean by being a neophyte.

This looks delicious but how much EVOO? How much basil? How much parm rind? Or does it really much matter?
I’d use:

1/4 cup evoo
A whole sprig of basil. Typically it would be 5-7 leaves.
Parm rind is usually a 1-2” long piece. If using regular just use a 1”x 1” chunk.

It really doesn’t matter. You do you and figure out what you like. More garlic? Less basil? Wanna use pecorino instead of parm? Have at it.

TJHall1

Legendary
I like to watch daddy jack chaplain on YouTube. Haven't for a while, but I'm pretty sure he swears by San marzanos.

Sting129

Poster

sanction

Legendary
Founder
Since this is a tomato thread has anyone here tried a cherry tomato called Flavor Bomb?

We have been getting them at Sams for a couple of months and they are the best tasting
fresh tomato I have ever eaten.

OrangeBleach

Poster
Founder
Now this thread has me thinking a little bit. I have plenty of ability to grow my own tomatoes. Anyone have any advice about this?
Love growing tomatoes, nothing beats them fresh. What’s your location? Some places easy than other. Your growing season will determine which variety to plant.

Top Bottom