Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

General theft and home security

Renegadenole

Poster
Founder
The thread about legalized drugs got me to thinking. I wonder how home security cameras have reduced general theft. I know I have a couple cameras on my home and most of the people I know also have security cameras. Just wondering if this is starting to show up in the data somewhere. Or maybe we are just kidding ourselves that cameras are a deterrent when a thief can just throw on a mask.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
The thread about legalized drugs got me to thinking. I wonder how home security cameras have reduced general theft. I know I have a couple cameras on my home and most of the people I know also have security cameras. Just wondering if this is starting to show up in the data somewhere. Or maybe we are just kidding ourselves that cameras are a deterrent when a thief can just throw on a mask.

My neighborhood had a problem with petty crime and theft. Its a nice neighborhood so kids will target cars that are unlocked and rifle through them for guns etc. One night had my truck stolen out of my driveway, cops found it as the kids were parking and ran off so it wasn't a big deal. Anyway, i now have 4-5 google nest cameras and so do my neighbors and we have not had any problems since. Noticed a lot less messages about theft on the neighborhood message boards in the last couple years also.

Also, the google nest system is pretty sweet. Can alert you to people, familiar faces / non familiar faces, you can teach it to ignore certain motion etc. I get an alert anytime im not home and there is a person on my property.

Renegadenole

Poster
Founder
There is a tenant in one of our apartments that was the victim of rape. Happened while she was walking at a city park. They caught the guy because she gave a description of the car and they went to near by homes and asked for any video surveillance footage. Found the described car at the time noted, was able to get a tag number and found the ass hole.

Really sweet girl. Her husband is off in the military. Makes my blood boil just thinking about it. I changed her locks since the guy stole all her stuff. Also allowed her to get a large dog that doesn't fit our pet or insurance policy.

Renegadenole

Poster
Founder
Thinking about it, we were having an issue with stir straws in the coin box in one of our laundry rooms. Seems you can do this trick and get free laundry cycles, YouTubed it.
Anyhow, we installed a camera and it took care of that.

Also put up a dummy camera in the laundry room at one of our other complexes even though we weren't having any issues. The facilities stays cleaner now.

GatorOK

Legendary
Founder
Had two incidents within a week in our neighborhood. Everyone of the 26 homes in our neighborhood has security cameras. Problem is the resolution is so low that you can't get a plate number on the street.

One guy was a walk in and stole a bike out of a garage while the homeowners were home. All cameras see him go in the garage, take the bike and ride away. Very good closeup of his face. Cops have made no arrest.

Second guy was a porch pirate. Vehicle cases the neighborhood Thursday, comes back Friday and steals my shit. He is dressed for robbing. All black, hat, bandana covering face. Walks half way down the street after vehicle stops. We have video of older Blue Tahoe, what appears to be a female driver. No plate, cops can't do anything, and have questioned the driver. She works at Ruby Tuesday's in Niceville if anyone wants to eat shit food and harass her.

Signs and cameras were not a deterrent to these shitbirds, as the crimes took place at 1430 during broad daylight.

I have since upgraded my camera pointed at the street to catch criminals and have alligators in the creek behind where we live. Simple solution.......

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder
I’ve got the Google nest set up. Two cameras, door sensors on all main entry ways and a key pad. Also have like 12 google speakers (whatever their called) all across my property. Can play music or ask google questions anywhere. Of course I’m making a massive trade off in privacy, but damn the convenience is nice.

Quatch$

Elite
Had two incidents within a week in our neighborhood. Everyone of the 26 homes in our neighborhood has security cameras. Problem is the resolution is so low that you can't get a plate number on the street.

One guy was a walk in and stole a bike out of a garage while the homeowners were home. All cameras see him go in the garage, take the bike and ride away. Very good closeup of his face. Cops have made no arrest.

Second guy was a porch pirate. Vehicle cases the neighborhood Thursday, comes back Friday and steals my shit. He is dressed for robbing. All black, hat, bandana covering face. Walks half way down the street after vehicle stops. We have video of older Blue Tahoe, what appears to be a female driver. No plate, cops can't do anything, and have questioned the driver. She works at Ruby Tuesday's in Niceville if anyone wants to eat shit food and harass her.

Signs and cameras were not a deterrent to these shitbirds, as the crimes took place at 1430 during broad daylight.

I have since upgraded my camera pointed at the street to catch criminals and have alligators in the creek behind where we live. Simple solution.......
I believe I remember you posting this awhile ago. I still wish you’d go with my plan of fake box on porch and note that says turn around, and you standing there with dick in one hand and gun in the other.

316what

Poster
Founder

Had no idea you were near Eglin AFB. Need to buy you a drink or several next time I’m down there.

Top Bottom