Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Finally, after 4 months.

VosFrost

Elite
Founder
Responsibly applied for a gun permit in North Carolina in early October of 2020. Wait time projected to be one month.

I was finally notified yesterday that I’ve cleared the bureaucracy and can exercise my constitutional rights. The topic of “not impeded” we’ll save for another thread.

Planning to sign up for a novice class and move towards carry license.

Any pro tips on first time home defense guns and home gun safes/storage? Have 1 year old with another on the way so need to put wife at ease.

Appreciate any advice.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Wow, had no idea N.C. was so anti-gun! In S.C. you just go buy your gun. The only government involvement is a background check, if you don't have your CWP.

As for advice on a home defense gun? My advice is a pistol in 9mm (my preference), .40, or .45ACP. There are so many good, reliable guns these days that most any solid name brand gun is going to be reliable.(Glock, Springfield, Sig, H&K, S&W, Ruger, etc) The important thing is that YOU are comfortable with it. Put as many in your hands as you can, and if possible shoot them. Choose what feels good TO YOU. What I, or anyone else on this forum likes, may or may not work for you and your hands.

My bedside gun is a Glock 19, with a 17 round magazine full of 147g Federal HST. I also have a few other guns around the house, mostly revolvers loaded with .38 special Speer Gold Dots. I pocket carry a J-frame Smith with those loads also.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that you picked the worst time in our lifetime to get into guns. Your choices are going to be minimal on guns as well as ammo, and the prices ridiculous. Good luck, whatever you choose.

As for safes, are you looking for a real safe? Like a super heavy, very expensive one? Or a $100 gun cabinet, which is essentially just a metal locker? Or are you wanting a small safe, just for your HD pistol to be secured bedside? Need more info on what you are looking for, to try to give any advice here.

Dally1up

Poster
For many in homes with other occupants/children the choice for a home defense gun is a pump 20ga w 6-7.5 shot.
The guns you listed are fine but waking from your slumber to a noise only to be confronted down a dark hallway may prove these guns to be inaccurate under conditions and hazardous to family in other rooms.
Single prohectiles out of a 9,.40 etc penetrate sheetrock and keep going as opposed to shot from a 20 which energy is absorbed by walls . The shotgun takes no practice to effectively clear a room or hall as one could shoot from the hip at close range and get job done.
The best thing with a shotgun over a pistol is that many times shots never have to be fired. Every intruder knows the universal sound of someone racking a shell into a pump shotgun. If they are carrying a weapon such as knife or pistol they also know they are at a disadvantage and usually flee at rhe sound.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
For many in homes with other occupants/children the choice for a home defense gun is a pump 20ga w 6-7.5 shot.
The guns you listed are fine but waking from your slumber to a noise only to be confronted down a dark hallway may prove these guns to be inaccurate under conditions and hazardous to family in other rooms.
Single prohectiles out of a 9,.40 etc penetrate sheetrock and keep going as opposed to shot from a 20 which energy is absorbed by walls . The shotgun takes no practice to effectively clear a room or hall as one could shoot from the hip at close range and get job done.
The best thing with a shotgun over a pistol is that many times shots never have to be fired. Every intruder knows the universal sound of someone racking a shell into a pump shotgun. If they are carrying a weapon such as knife or pistol they also know they are at a disadvantage and usually flee at rhe sound.
Using a shotgun with very likely less than lethal bird shot is not good advice imo. However, any lethal ammo is likely to go through numerous interior walls and still be lethal. It is why you should be very mindful of where you are shooting, and training is essential, regardless of the gun.

If using a shotgun, most people run some load of buckshot for home defense, and at likely SD ranges, you aren't getting much of a spread at all. There are definitely advantages to long guns though, and stopping power is a huge one. Also they are easier to hit a target at much of any distance beyond contact.

Some positives for a pistol- As a parent, OP would possibly be grabbing the kids during a home invasion scenerio...a handgun allows him to have one arm for a kid, and he can still work the pistol with the other, if needed. A pistol is also harder for a bad guy to take away from you than a long gun.

As for scaring an intruder off by racking the slide, I always thought this was just in the movies. Never heard an actual report of this. Even if I had, it doesn't seem like a feature that would make me choose a pump shotgun over a semi-auto shotgun, pistol, or whatever.

Here is a video showing the atrocious penetration of birdshot for self defense. Again, I think that is terrible advice.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
You need to apply just to own a gun in NC?

Only pistols. The approval process is done by the county sheriff’s office which is basically just a background check. Permits are $5 each and you can buy as many as you want at a time. I think it took about 3 days for mine to get approved, but that was a few years ago and I live in a very red county.

Nas

Poster
I'm glad you're taking the initial steps in courses and learning the applicable laws in your area. Take as many classes as you can and practice. Like mentioned above, it's a tough time as range ammo is going to be scarce. If you plan on one weapon i would recommend finding something that you can get ammo for in the easiest fashion, like a 9 mm. Ammo and magazines are essential and you're more likely to find both in 9 mm than other calibers. I have a pocket 380 I carry and ammo can be impossible to find for it at times. Also have a G26 that I carry in other instances for the reasons mentioned above.

Try out a bunch of brands and sizes. I made the mistake of buying a Shield, because it was a great deal, without ever firing it. I'm sure it's a great gun, but the single stack wasn't a good fit and it was useless to me.

If you are planning on one firearm, consider if you will be getting a CCW permit as most people elect for compacts for carrying and full sized handguns are a pain in the ass to carry. Most seem to have full sized for home defense.

Lastly, most of these shit heads break into your house when no one is home. However, if one of those vagrants gets into your house while you're home, they are more than likely armed and crazy enough to have to be shot. Figure out a plan. For me it's throwing the kids in the bath tub and giving an announcement to go back the way you came before going on the offensive.

Most uses of guns in defense come outside of the home, which circles back to classes and practice. Know your laws and always be learning.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Only pistols. The approval process is done by the county sheriff’s office which is basically just a background check. Permits are $5 each and you can buy as many as you want at a time. I think it took about 3 days for mine to get approved, but that was a few years ago and I live in a very red county.

It is fucked up that we have allowed our government to require us to get their permission to excersize our Rights, guaranteed by the Constitution.

sclaw03

Poster
Responsibly applied for a gun permit in North Carolina in early October of 2020. Wait time projected to be one month.

I was finally notified yesterday that I’ve cleared the bureaucracy and can exercise my constitutional rights. The topic of “not impeded” we’ll save for another thread.

Any pro tips on first time home defense guns and home gun safes/storage? Have 1 year old with another on the way so need to put wife at ease.

Appreciate any advice.
Sounds like you're looking for a pistol. I agree w/ others - Pistol you pick should feel good to you and also be easy to carry just in case you want to down the road. Since you have kids in home (same), first thing I'd do is spend the money for a good quick access safe.

I like my Fort Knox safe. It's small but holds my 2 sigp365s and wife's PK380 (which I hate), small flashlight, as well as extra mags. Seems to be built sturdy. It's a quick grab safe (less than 5 sec) and the protection it gives from the kids gaining access to your pistol is priceless. Easily fits in a drawer or under the bed where you sleep. 100% mechanical so no batteries or other technology to fail when you need it the most. Also has easy to feel buttons for at night:
https://www.deansafe.com/products/ftk-pb?variant=13473929297975&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&currency=USD&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0-6ABhDMARIsAFVdQv-Ba041KvdbNSqy7iUSYUqkR4mxaWx-J4e9EoE3UU_wc3iZ7fhrVVkaAgNGEALw_wcB20200926_124932.jpg

Last edited:

spf84

Poster
That’s crazy. I bought my first gun in July here in Ohio and I went in filled out some online application and walked out with it on my own in like 15 minutes. I’m single snd live alone so it’s in my night stand.

Ninefingers

Poster
Founder
This just isnt good advice. At the distances youd likely be discharging a firearm from during a home invasion a shotgun will have no problem penetrating sheet rock and insulation. If youre planning on self defense anything less than a lethal caliber is putting youre life at a greater risk. If you draw on somebody in your home, you draw to shoot. And if you shoot, you shoot to incapacitate and/or kill. You dont shoot to piss off, scare, or maim.

Also, this fairytale that people will automatically run from racking a shotgun is bullshit and a dangerous fallacy to keep putting out there. First, if youre having to chamber a round before engaging in a close quarters fight, youre at a huge disadvantage from the start. Secondly, if youre rack a shotgun, the noise is far more likely to just give away your position than to cause a potentially armed threat to run away. Finally, if you're having to pump a shotgun between firing you're taking a lot of time between follow ups if needed. Enough time to cost you your life. Would you recommend a single action pistol for self defense? Didn't think so.

Appreciate any advice.
What is a gun permit as opposed to a carry license?

Yep00

Poster
Still on the hunt. Heading to range with a buddy who has several guns.

Safe TBD. Gun recs keep landing around Glock 19 9MM midsize.

Know close to zero about guns, but folks I do know have endorsed.
Exact same boat I'm in. Probably end up with a G19 as it checks multiple boxes. Good friend of mine who suggested it said he'd even give me ammo because he wants me to shoot and practice with it.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder

Where in NC do you live?

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder

I love everything about my Glock 19, except maybe I wish it had a more ergonomical grip. For a first gun, especially for someone who is new to firearms, a glock would be an excellent choice.

I chose my Glock 19 as my 1st handgun for many reasons, some maybe the same as some of yours...

I wanted a gun that could serve alot of roles-bedside gun, center console gun, range toy, and a carry gun once I got my CWP. The Glock 19 serves all of those roles very well. I also wanted something very simple. I did not want to be intimidated by anything too complicated. Glocks are insanely simple to field strip, or even detail strip and tinker with...just an ingeniously simple design.

It is also functionally simple. Though is has 3 built in safeties, there is no safety button or lever to deal with. No decockers or anything else. Just pull the trigger to fire, and use the mag release and slide stop as needed.

Add in their proven reliability, and second to none aftermarket support for sights, grips, triggers, etc, and it is hard to beat any of the full size, compact, or sub-compact Glocks.

Top Bottom