Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FAA Warns Latest 5G Roll Out Could Cause Airplanes to Crash

Zgdaf

Elite
Founder
I Remember this bullshit since the 90s for cell phone usage. While the Europeans were allowing cell phones. It was similar divisiveness to the vax. There would be Karen’s on the plane going apeshit about crashing the plane.

44Bobcats55

Elite
Founder
Not likely. 5G is huge bandwidth over a short distance. Unless the plane has a 5G antennae there will be nothing to receive the signal.

BLatta12

Administrator
Administrator
Not likely. 5G is huge bandwidth over a short distance. Unless the plane has a 5G antennae there will be nothing to receive the signal.
Then why do you think FAA is telling pilots not to use their altimeters beginning in January?

44Bobcats55

Elite
Founder
Then why do you think FAA is telling pilots not to use their altimeters beginning in January?
Not sure just stating what the technology does. The frequencies are what they are. The higher the frequency the shorter the distance between antennas. Don’t put antennas is planes and you should be good.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
No that is an absolute crock of shit and you have no idea what you’re talking about
I’ll look into it more. Mainly we just talk shit about media clips, didn’t really do research on the specific instance. I do have a Masters in radar so I somewhat know what I’m talking about when it comes to the EM effects

@HiddenLakes you are in that arena (something to do with flying) with your career aren’t you? Can’t remember specifically where you fit in

Last edited:

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Not sure just stating what the technology does. The frequencies are what they are. The higher the frequency the shorter the distance between antennas. Don’t put antennas is planes and you should be good.

I thought the distance between antennas was dependent on how powerful the signal was, not the frequency. Am I confused?

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
I thought the distance between antennas was dependent on how powerful the signal was, not the frequency. Am I confused?
You are right in general. Certain frequencies are attenuated (lose power) more than others through the atmosphere. But this falls into what you are saying that distance between antennas is related to power.

The higher the line is at a given frequency, the more power it loses traveling through the atmosphere:
7F5E0C17-0091-4C4E-88B3-3775913BBD6B.png

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
But,

From what I understand an altimeter measures air pressure and gets an altitude from the pressure reading and the temperature. If that device is directly wired to a flight computer, I don’t see anyway that RF energy could effect that reading.

Theoretically, if the pressure measurement signal was transited along some unshielded copper wire, EM could create some interference on the measurement, but that’s a stretch

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
But,

From what I understand an altimeter measures air pressure and gets an altitude from the pressure reading and the temperature. If that device is directly wired to a flight computer, I don’t see anyway that RF energy could effect that reading.

Theoretically, if the pressure measurement signal was transited along some unshielded copper wire, EM could create some interference on the measurement, but that’s a stretch
But (again),

If we are talking about some kind of altimeter like this:

It’s an entirely different story

BigBucnNole

Elite
5g is bad

wrong-drumpf.gif

Shaun52

SCAR Cawk Connoisseur
Founder
I’ll look into it more. Mainly we just talk shit about media clips, didn’t really do research on the specific instance. I do have a Masters in radar so I somewhat know what I’m talking about when it comes to the EM effects

@HiddenLakes you are in that arena (something to do with flying) with your career aren’t you? Can’t remember specifically where you fit in
Yes. I deal with all things frequency related for the FAA.

BigBucnNole

Elite
The part I don't understand is that if you are flying by instruments and then flip to visual, that's when you have the runway in sight.

If they switch to VFR, these would've had to have been the tall power poles delivering electricity wholesale, and not necessarily the street level ones.

More I read about it, it sounds like it was human error.

Shaun52

SCAR Cawk Connoisseur
Founder
Definitely defer to your expertise here. We just throw shit at the wall with these podcasts. We did a review of the new Halloween movie and (accidentally) referred to Michael Myers as Jason the entire time lol
I’ll post some stuff tomorrow

PleasureMoose

Legendary
Definitely defer to your expertise here. We just throw shit at the wall with these podcasts. We did a review of the new Halloween movie and (accidentally) referred to Michael Myers as Jason the entire time lol
Yall seriously called him Jason? Halloween Kills is awesome. Danny McBride wrote it

Shaun52

SCAR Cawk Connoisseur
Founder
The radio frequency environment resulting from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) actions to permit or enable mobile broadband services in the 3.7-3.98 GHz frequency band introduces a new and significant aviation safety risk. In conjunction with the Department of Transportation (DOT), the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and key stakeholders in the aviation industry are working to assess the scope of potential harmful interference from these 5G network operations to radio altimeters installed on tens of thousands of commercial transport aircraft, general aviation aircraft, business jets, and helicopters. The MITRE Corporation estimates that as many as 59,400 aircraft flying in the U.S. National Airspace System (NAS) could potentially be impacted. This issue has Congressional attention both in the House Transportation and Infrastructure and Senate Commerce committees. Similarly, DOD has initiated an extensive effort to understand the impact on military radar operations.

The ability to accurately assess the scope of potential interference is hindered in two critical ways: the first being that FAA lacks critical data on current and planned deployment of the 5G C-band networks and the second is uncertainty as to whether or not the FCC will place additional operating limits on the licensees. Without this information, and with some of these new services expected to begin as early as December 2021, operational risk mitigations need to be implemented as soon as possible. These mitigations are expected to have a significant economic impact to many airlines and other NAS operators and could include delays and or reduced flights in high risk locations.

Sorry for the delay. This is a summary concerning altimeters.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
The radio frequency environment resulting from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) actions to permit or enable mobile broadband services in the 3.7-3.98 GHz frequency band introduces a new and significant aviation safety risk. In conjunction with the Department of Transportation (DOT), the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and key stakeholders in the aviation industry are working to assess the scope of potential harmful interference from these 5G network operations to radio altimeters installed on tens of thousands of commercial transport aircraft, general aviation aircraft, business jets, and helicopters. The MITRE Corporation estimates that as many as 59,400 aircraft flying in the U.S. National Airspace System (NAS) could potentially be impacted. This issue has Congressional attention both in the House Transportation and Infrastructure and Senate Commerce committees. Similarly, DOD has initiated an extensive effort to understand the impact on military radar operations.

The ability to accurately assess the scope of potential interference is hindered in two critical ways: the first being that FAA lacks critical data on current and planned deployment of the 5G C-band networks and the second is uncertainty as to whether or not the FCC will place additional operating limits on the licensees. Without this information, and with some of these new services expected to begin as early as December 2021, operational risk mitigations need to be implemented as soon as possible. These mitigations are expected to have a significant economic impact to many airlines and other NAS operators and could include delays and or reduced flights in high risk locations.

Sorry for the delay. This is a summary concerning altimeters.
I mean this is pretty much how I described it in the video and validates what @BLatta12 was saying. We might have botched a point here or there, but this is the mechanism we were trying to describe

Shaun52

SCAR Cawk Connoisseur
Founder
I mean this is pretty much how I described it in the video and validates what @BLatta12 was saying. We might have botched a point here or there, but this is the mechanism we were trying to describe
Yes and no. Biggest issue was the auction. Auction kind of took place prior to analysis of impact to systems. Congress is selling bandwidth off to the highest bidder and F’d this up majorly.

TJHall1

Legendary
Yes and no. Biggest issue was the auction. Auction kind of took place prior to analysis of impact to systems. Congress is selling bandwidth off to the highest bidder and F’d this up majorly.
You're autistic aren't you?

Jayhacker

Legendary
Founder
This is right out of the dem playbook. Pass the 9000 pg bill and then read it to see what's in it.
You would think the 5G people would have figured this shit out in development. Biden's world!

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
If this is even true, there is no way they didn't know this would be an issue beforehand. Those frequencies are heavily regulated by the feds, and if the frequencies are so close they could cause problems there is zero chance this was not known until now...what that means, I have no idea.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
If this is even true, there is no way they didn't know this would be an issue beforehand. Those frequencies are heavily regulated by the feds, and if the frequencies are so close they could cause problems there is zero chance this was not known until now...what that means, I have no idea.
I’m sure this will prob be a mind fuck, but this very much could have just been a complete fuck up. First off, 5G waveforms have bandwidth. I’m sure you hear them talk about it in the commercials. But rather than a single frequency, it is spread across a range of frequencies. Let’s say let’s say f1 in the picture below is 9GHz and f2 is 11GHz. There might be a claim for a 10 GHz signal, but it is actually spread over 2 GHz and could cause some overlap

EF1E1AFD-9D02-4971-924A-E2FD8CA62D72.png

Also RF transmissions create things called harmonics. Kind of like an echo that is not at the frequency you transmit

Latest posts

Top Bottom