Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Conference Realignment Thread

BigBucnNole

Elite
Clemson and FSU are complete idiots for signing that. They gave up all their leverage for nothing in return.

They, I suppose, could bond it to a degree. It's about 10 to 11 million a year in earnings they'd have to pay. Doing a 20 or 30 year bond, you could get that number down to 5 to 7 million. In that case... you are talking a manageable fee with the new money coming in.

Regardless, it was a completely retarded move by an administration that had been neutered over the years by Bowden, and later Fisher taking the helm. And I'm not blaming Bowden/ Fisher necessarily, what AD would want to go head to head with those guys?

Fever757

Poster
Founder
I don’t think many people have a clue

I've seen some smoke coming from KC radio insiders. But the main people I think have credibility on conference realignment thought if KU was coming, why not a partner and it won't be ISU, or any other Big 12 team for that matter.

Also, why now? They could get Kansas at anytime in the next two years.

TJHall1

Legendary
I've seen some smoke coming from KC radio insiders. But the main people I think have credibility on conference realignment thought if KU was coming, why not a partner and it won't be ISU, or any other Big 12 team for that matter.

Also, why now? They could get Kansas at anytime in the next two years.
Exactly. Its coming from people who hope it happens, not people who think it will.

And like you said, they're going to add only Kansas? Just one team? Makes no sense, especially when every teams share would decrease because Kansas wouldn't add anything.

Fever757

Poster
Founder

Fucking west coast elites "their academics suck... Jim Crow 2.0... men can't use the women's bathrooms!!!"

Only way the Pac happens for any Big 12 team is if it's a full merger, IMO. Everyone in Texas has their warts. Baylor and TCU - religious, Texas Tech - Academics and market delivery.

Personally I think it would be cool if the Pac grabbed the Texoma 4 because they could wreck havoc in both football and basketball.

I think if the Big 10 expands they take Oregon, Washington, USC and Stanford. Once that happens you're going to have a large base of leftovers in the west.

So if I'm one of the eight leftovers, the PAC GOR are up soon, just wait. They can really piss off OU and Texas by sticking together.

Every board has their sources but no one really knows anything... So just to group my personal thoughts on the big 12 minus 4.

Ku... Outside of basketball (which will get their hearing next summer) the athletic dept is a dumpster fire. Has AAU status in their favor. If I was projecting a landing spot outside the conf I'd say doubtful to BIG and more probable to ACC.

Clones... Just had their best football season ever and it wasn't much. Hasn't shown prolonged success. Has made facility improvements. Has loyal following. Has AAU status. Bball has taken a nose dive recently. Unfortunately their biggest downfall is geography. Same as ku... Doubtful BIG and just a guess acc.

Tech... I like these guys as they're a lot like us (save the xerox jokes). Good all around athletic dept... But football hasn't shown much since pirate left. Big school 40k.... Lots of alums all over Texas. Tier 1 school. Unfortunately not a lot of options. Best bet is pac as don't see other choices.

EMAW... Another kin univ... But unfortunately I don't see any option to escape

Mountaineers... I'm not even sure they're in the big 12. Pretty easy to forget about them. Maybe they get that coveted acc offer or maybe sec if they decide to expand to 20 something schools.

Frogs... Small semi secular school with good location. Small alum base. Invested in facilities. They will be the cream of the mountain west or American as no one else will want them.

Baylor... Wins the bball championship and then ends up ditto with tcu.

Princeton of the plains... Well I think we have a lot of options and just going to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Emmo496

Elite
Founder
Every board has their sources but no one really knows anything... So just to group my personal thoughts on the big 12 minus 4.

Ku... Outside of basketball (which will get their hearing next summer) the athletic dept is a dumpster fire. Has AAU status in their favor. If I was projecting a landing spot outside the conf I'd say doubtful to BIG and more probable to ACC.

Clones... Just had their best football season ever and it wasn't much. Hasn't shown prolonged success. Has made facility improvements. Has loyal following. Has AAU status. Bball has taken a nose dive recently. Unfortunately their biggest downfall is geography. Same as ku... Doubtful BIG and just a guess acc.

Tech... I like these guys as they're a lot like us (save the xerox jokes). Good all around athletic dept... But football hasn't shown much since pirate left. Big school 40k.... Lots of alums all over Texas. Tier 1 school. Unfortunately not a lot of options. Best bet is pac as don't see other choices.

Mountaineers... I'm not even sure they're in the big 12. Pretty easy to forget about them. Maybe they get that coveted acc offer or maybe sec if they decide to expand to 20 something schools.

Frogs... Small semi secular school with good location. Small alum base. Invested in facilities. They will be the cream of the mountain west or American as no one else will want them.

Princeton of the plains... Well I think we have a lot of options and just going to sit back and enjoy the ride.
Baylor….fits in well with the felonious of the NCAA. Ya know…rape, murder, etc…maybe Penn St. can offer some advice.

Cards1968

Founder
The Twelver leftovers better stick together and keep that buyout lifeline intact. It's their only hope at this point. Nobody wants them besides AAC.

Jayhox

Legendary
Founder

Can you cite some of those “lot of options” with some reasoning attached?

AgEngDawg

Legendary
Sounds like Kansas to the B1G.

My prediction:

The rest of the Big 12 gets swallowed up by PAC and AAC (sorry KSU and TCU). B1G makes a play on a few PAC schools. ND pretty much joins ACC. Not sure on WVU.

I don't see what the big deal is. Texas ain't shit.

Jayhox

Legendary
Founder
The Athletic just put this out an hour ago. Its behind a paywall, so here's a portion of the text I found interesting re: how the TV networks view basketball value:

If you’re wondering what makes the SEC so wonderful and why ESPN is willing to back up the Brink’s truck for that league’s rights, let me introduce you to a term called the “avid fan” that the networks use to measure the value of a particular league. The SEC has more of them than anyone. College football also has more avid fans than college hoops. That’s why football drives everything. But there are a few basketball programs that have enough avid fans that their schools offer something outside of just football. One of those schools is Kansas.

Getting the conferences or even ESPN to try to share basketball viewership data is like asking for CIA secrets — for some reason, they’re not sharing — but as one industry source, who assumed I’d get these numbers, said: “You’re going to find that Kansas and (Kentucky) are off the charts in viewers, and then there is everyone else.”

He added that those are two programs whose numbers are actually competitive with college football. This is relevant because when placing value on the two main revenue sports when it comes to television negotiations, the industry belief is that football accounts for 80 percent and men’s basketball the other 20. Kansas could be an outlier, a program whose basketball ratings are significant enough to at least move the scales.

“I do think this is basically all around football,” Kansas basketball coach Bill Self told The Athletic. “But I do think there’s some things that a school could bring to the table and not necessarily be focused on all football, and that would be, do you have a brand? What is your national brand? And would that be something that could benefit people? I think academic reputation is going to be very, very important that leagues can look at or mergers can look at and say, ‘How do all the schools mix,’ based on similar type of philosophy academically. So I think there’s a lot of things that go into it.

“But I do think having a brand in a sport … is something that could be beneficial.”

RJ2kWJ

Elite
Founder
FSU and Clemson to SEC.

Duke and UNC keep the ACC together for basketball.

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder
How about when we play in basketball?
The phag doesn’t realize basketball is popular in BIG country.

BIG is flush with cash and will continue to be the top dog in that department.

Jayhox

Legendary
Founder
The phag doesn’t realize basketball is popular in BIG country.

BIG is flush with cash and will continue to be the top dog in that department.
According to Forbes, KU’s basketball program brings in a little over $34 million/year and is worth more than half of the B1G football programs.

s-ou-thern

Legendary
Founder
Basketball isn't driving the realignment. Small potatoes.

Not good for Kansas.
Dollars drive realignment
Football = dollars

So, the traditional assumption has always been football is the lone factor driving realignment.

This may be the test as to whether conferences are obsessed with football or obsessed with dollars.

Is this the first round of major realignment in the post-BCS days?

Top Bottom