Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Assault rifle recommendations.

CDDP

Legendary
Founder
Hurry up and buy!

Primary arms has this in stock right meow. Nothing special but will get the job done. Order now and have it sent to a ffl near your zip code

6oGlCfd.png

CameronWV

Poster
Founder
would love something around 1200 if possible.

In that range I would normally recommend something from Bravo Company(BCM). Would be a little more, especially now, but thats the best I can think of in that ballpark. A couple months back you were able to find the complete lower and complete uppers in stock occasionally. Unfortunately I think those days are over.

As others have said you can't really find anything right now. That Armalite CDDP linked above is nothing special but it's not a terrible choice for the times and lack of better options. I'll look around this evening and see if I can find some other options for you

Edit to add: We can dress that Armalite up pretty easily and make it cooler looking if thats a factor for you. Don't want you looking like an extra from a 1989 Schwarzenegger movie.

BC0523

Lurker
I'm not very knowledgeable in this stuff but bought a kel tec rdb17 last year. It shoots 223 or 556. Pretty sweet and fun gun.

Building your own would be awesome. Check this site as some have mentioned https://palmettostatearmory.com/.
Or if you had the money to drop on a daniel defense...

Ninefingers

Poster
Founder
In that range I would normally recommend something from Bravo Company(BCM). Would be a little more, especially now, but thats the best I can think of in that ballpark. A couple months back you were able to find the complete lower and complete uppers in stock occasionally. Unfortunately I think those days are over.

As others have said you can't really find anything right now. That Armalite CDDP linked above is nothing special but it's not a terrible choice for the times and lack of better options. I'll look around this evening and see if I can find some other options for you

Edit to add: We can dress that Armalite up pretty easily and make it cooler looking if thats a factor for you. Don't want you looking like an extra from a 1989 Schwarzenegger movie.
BCM Recce would be my rec too at that price point. Have a Recce 16 that is my fav all-arounder.

CameronWV

Poster
Founder
I'd argue that you don't need to know shit to build one. I've done two so far. I tried to take them across the lake to show my buddy, and they didn't make it.

This $50 investment was PERFECT for the roll pins.
View attachment 528

Agreed, specialized tools make it easier, but I built my first one with shit I already had around the house and some Youtube videos.

RHT 3

Elite
Not to hijack @TheWhiteSand thread, but what’s best for being able to use to shoot deer at 100 yards and less? 300 blackout? 556? Anything special needed?

@Ninefingers

Inside of a 100 yards most anything will do. If using a 5.56 make sure its the 77 grain load. Lots of options honestly. Just make it a good shot. What type deer I guess is the main question and how big usually ?

I'm using my .308 at anything inside or outside 100.

Duzen

Poster
Not to hijack @TheWhiteSand thread, but what’s best for being able to use to shoot deer at 100 yards and less? 300 blackout? 556? Anything special needed?

@Ninefingers

At short shots like that, most calibers are fine. .556 just has very little energy and requires much better shot placement. If you are only looking to hunt with it, then I'd suggest a .270 bolt rifle. Still carries 1000 ft-lbs at 600 yards, and ammo isn't as scarce. If you are looking for an AR, then I'd suggest a 6.8. A lot more energy for pigs, deer, and other larger critters. Personally, I only use my .556 for coyote as it's a very light round.

Peach-head

Poster
At short shots like that, most calibers are fine. .556 just has very little energy and requires much better shot placement. If you are only looking to hunt with it, then I'd suggest a .270 bolt rifle. Still carries 1000 ft-lbs at 600 yards, and ammo isn't as scarce. If you are looking for an AR, then I'd suggest a 6.8. A lot more energy for pigs, deer, and other larger critters. Personally, I only use my .556 for coyote as it's a very light round.

Ive hunted a traditional ruger M77 bolt action 30-06 all my life, was given to me at 14. I know shit about ARs, so forgive my ignorance. Are you saying a regular 270? Or some type of AR style that has a blot action? I wantthe best gun to double at protection/shooting whitetail.

1stb12champs

Poster
would love something around 1200 if possible.
The larue tactical ar in versions platforms can be had for that price. Their backlog is 6 months but their guns are exceptional. I ordered two back in July. I received one of them so far. The other should be here soon.

Fay31

Poster
Get a 300 blackout or AK47

300 blackout has some advantages.

Larger caliber bullet, same frame, magazines, and almost the same gun as a traditional AR.

The larger bullet is far more devastating when you hit someone with it, up to about 150 yards.

Can imagine using it beyond that distance? Most people never would. If I had a lot of property, I’d have a 300 and a 5.56. Well I do anyway, but I’d tell someone to get both if they had a lot of property.

Also they have sub-sonic ammo in the 300, so if you decide to get a suppressor and use that ammo, it’s assassin style quiet.

Downside is the ammo is expensive.

AK is cheap on ammo, can run steel ammo and they require basically no maintenance and always shoot.

They aren’t as accurate, accessories not as common, not assassin quiet.

The 300 blackout with a light & a can is the ultimate home defense setup.

The reason is the larger bullet, more like an AK bullet, and the silencer.

If you think a gun is loud outside try pulling the trigger in your hallway, it blow your ears out in that confined space. You’ll also get a muzzle flash that will temporarily blind you, especially if it’s later at night and you’ve been asleep or your eyes are just adjusted to low light.

So, in a home defense situation, with a shotgun, AR, AK, etc. you’vejust knocked out your hearing and eyes temporarily, or at least impacted them greatly.

300 with a can, you have almost no flash, and don’t hurt your ears at all.

300 with a light and can is the way to go.

There are technically “better” ones made, but there’s no better value than a M&P15 300 whisper, Smith & Wesson makes great guns, their furniture isn’t good on base models, but why should it be? Everyone just replaces that stuff anyway. The gun is awesome, and it’s the best value for the money, plus it has a true lifetime warranty.

I like Vortex optics, great warranty, and there’s a new company, Swampfox putting out fantastic stuff at their price points, I have 3 of their prism optics, they’re awesome and made for CQB.

Here’s a suppressed 300 running subsonic ammo. Of course if the shit ever hits the fan, you can hide and people won’t know where you are shooting from, no flash and no sound.

tgsell

Poster
Hurry up and buy!

Primary arms has this in stock right meow. Nothing special but will get the job done. Order now and have it sent to a ffl near your zip code

6oGlCfd.png

OP, if you just need a gun to go bang...get the above.

I could go on a long diatribe about what to get, not get, as I have spend many many thousands of dollars on weaponry, but based on what you have said, is not needed.

If you are really wanting home defense though. Go get a Mossberg Youth Pump Action 20gauge.

Birdman549

Poster
If you are looking for home defense/personal protection. I would recommend Springfield Saint victor AR pistols. They have a few different variations to choose from but it’s a great reliable gun that will do what’s needed.

Springfield Saint Victor AR pistols

Awesome compact rifles. I have a couple and they are a blast. 7" barrel can get a little warm though. For a full sized I really like the Sig M400. It's been a solid rifle but for home defense my Mossberg 590M with the 10 round mag alternating double ought and slugs is what I am grabbing hahaha.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Ive hunted a traditional ruger M77 bolt action 30-06 all my life, was given to me at 14. I know shit about ARs, so forgive my ignorance. Are you saying a regular 270? Or some type of AR style that has a blot action? I wantthe best gun to double at protection/shooting whitetail.

A bolt action 30.06 might not be a great home defense weapon, but it is as good a deer gun as you will find.

I'd argue that you don't need to know shit to build one. I've done two so far. I tried to take them across the lake to show my buddy, and they didn't make it.

This $50 investment was PERFECT for the roll pins.
View attachment 528
You do not need a lot of stuff but a punch pin set, barrel block for the vice, AR multitool and torque wrench are a must imo. I have built two.

flyerjeff

Poster
Founder
SOCOM 16. Basically an urbanized version of the M-14. If you have never fired one of these you are missing out

Ninefingers

Poster
Founder

@Ninefingers
Just saw this. Looks like you've already gotten some good answers, though. Im not a big hunter so Ill differ to those that have already answered. It can certainly be done, but I wouldn't hunt deer size+ game with 5.56. Too much chance for a maim or an ugly wound followed by lots of tracking rather than a clean kill, even within just 100 yards. Ive seen .270 and .308 recommended, which are great for deer. My personal deer rifle is chambered in 30-06, fwiw.

tnboles

Poster
Founder
OP,

if you’re not a troll, you should look up definition of an AR. They’re not assault rifles. That’s a liberal term.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
I ordered a 6.8spc upper for my AR from Bison Armory. Im really impressed with the accuracy and looking forward to seeing how well it holds up long term. I put a CMC drop in trigger in it and I'll never do stock triggers again. Got dayum what a difference that trigger makes.

Top Bottom