Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Are solar panels worth the money now?

hmt5000

Overlord
Founder
Been debating getting a small set up for years but when you run the numbers it just isn't cost effective. Thinking about energy cost spiking the next few years and probable disruptions in service, I'm starting to think I should just go ahead and get a small system to run the Fridge and a few lights.

Anyone familiar with solar that can give me an idea what to avoid and what to make sure you do?

FSU_Drews32

Founder
Depends on where you live. If electric rates are high you can make your money back but in most places they aren’t the savings they sell you. Most will last 15 years. Get a new roof with the deal and make sure they cover the cost if they have to be removed and reinstalled.

Long cat

Elite
If your grid power goes out the solar panels turn off. This is a safety requirement to make sure they don’t back feed the utility and kill somebody working on the lines.

Make sure you know the laws and rules in your state. In Florida 10kW is a magic number - anything under is no big deal, anything over requires utility review and approval which can be easy or can be impossible. It’s up tHe utility which.

performance depends heavily on roof orientation, size and shading. Use this, it will give you an idea.
https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/

hmt5000

Overlord
Founder
If your grid power goes out the solar panels turn off. This is a safety requirement to make sure they don’t back feed the utility and kill somebody working on the lines.

Make sure you know the laws and rules in your state. In Florida 10kW is a magic number - anything under is no big deal, anything over requires utility review and approval which can be easy or can be impossible. It’s up tHe utility which.

performance depends heavily on roof orientation, size and shading. Use this, it will give you an idea.
https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/
Yea. Im mainly wanting to get it for power outages. I'd like to get my money back during summer but winter and spring storms can knock out electric for a bit. Thanks for the link though. Im definitely thinking this summer might be the time to do it if for no other reason than they will probably give a hell of a tax rebate.

Fever757

Leader
Founder
Unless you are a left wing loon, don't waste your money on solar, it's complete shit.

For $20k you can get one of these and you'll not have to worry about power again. My parents and sister have one of these down in Brazoria county here in Texas (South of Houston). I think they shelled out about $20k and it does not take up much room in your back yard.

Here is the link to the company they bought their generators from.

Monthly Donation Goal

1. Campaign goal
    $0.00 of $500.00
Top Bottom