Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Anyone ever lay pavers down before?

Jtrain80

Legendary
Lol, ok:

View attachment 23051
my initial markings

View attachment 23052
Digging the edges out with a shovel.

View attachment 23053
said fuck the digging by hand, rented an excavator.

View attachment 23054
doing more damage than good...

View attachment 23055
finally got 10” dug out, set the border wall with treated 2x10s

View attachment 23056
Got the ground floor mostly level and graded using a dingo

View attachment 23057
Tamped down

View attachment 23058
Added 6” of 89/10 gravel. Tampered down after every 2”

just picked up my next layer of base, will send pics when it’s down.

You have put some effort into this thing! Hope it lasts forever.

Detective John Kimble

Stop whining!
Founder
So I got a couple questions.
1. I think I dug too deep across the entire hole (probably close to a foot) is that ok, or does it absolutely have to be around 9 inches?

2. how in the fuck are you supposed to level the ground across the entire space? I get how to do it from the edges and corners but how do you do it from the middle?

TIA
pavers? no. Laying pipe is my area of expertise.

RJ2kWJ

Elite
Founder
View attachment 23208
Ended up going with American Country paver base instead of actual sand. A buddy of mine who’s done this a few times said that will be fine. Anywho, got the sprinkler going on it for a little while, gonna pack it down and then head to pick up the pavers
Fun thread OP. Love stuff like this.

Chris Farley

Misunderstood lurker
Founder
Went ahead and got a 1/4” sand anyways to help lock the pavers in. Just screeded it with 2 2x4s, one ripped down to 2 3/8”exactly for the pavers that are 2 3/8” high. Screeded the sand as good as one person could with 2x4s running across the edge of the patio and the furthest 2x10. Imagine when I set the pavers I will probably have to add a little sand here and there to level it off.

Anywho, they get in around 12-1 today so I’ll be setting them all afternoon. After that, I’ll add the polymeric sand and brush it in. Will send pics when done!

also question: as far as pattern goes, there’s 3 different sizes of paver that come with this pallet and a half. Any suggestions on what kind of pattern to lay them out? Never done this shit before. TIA

D9360594-060C-4729-8900-46F3C3A92318.jpeg

Tell_Sackett

Poster
I laid my patio with 2 sizes of paver... A square and 4x rectangles with a running rectangle bond around the edge. The main pattern was like a donut with the square as the "hole".

Whatever pattern you use, make sure you have enough of each type of paver for the area. I had to be careful and plan it out as I used reclaimed pavers and couldn't get anymore.

Chris Farley

Misunderstood lurker
Founder
I laid my patio with 2 sizes of paver... A square and 4x rectangles with a running rectangle bond around the edge. The main pattern was like a donut with the square as the "hole".

Whatever pattern you use, make sure you have enough of each type of paver for the area. I had to be careful and plan it out as I used reclaimed pavers and couldn't get anymore.
Does it even really need to be in a pattern? Or would it look ok if I just randomly interlocked the different sizes. There’s 3.

Tell_Sackett

Poster
Does it even really need to be in a pattern? Or would it look ok if I just randomly interlocked the different sizes. There’s 3.
I honestly couldn't give you an opinion without a visual. I'm kind of an "all things in good order" type of guy, so I probably am not one to ask if random is OK. Look online for examples. There will be a ton to peruse.

Astragalus

Poster
Founder
Here we are with not even the first row of pavers, this shit is exhausting....mainly just having to stay bent over and making sure they’re level. Also chipping away at concrete from the original patio. Thought I got it all but cot dam, no I did not!
View attachment 23388
No worries, brother. You’ll get it done. Looks great so far. Just think about all of the fantastic evenings you’re gonna have sitting out on your new patio!

Nas

Poster
Solid work. More power to you man. I did that shit for a couple of family members that had businesses and its brutal. 4 years ago my FIL wanted an above ground pool put in at the farm. Did all that work for him and decided I would just pay from there on out. Wife wants a retaining wall put in and I'm paying someone to do it.

You did put a slight grade on it for rain water drainage, right?

Chris Farley

Misunderstood lurker
Founder
Solid work. More power to you man. I did that shit for a couple of family members that had businesses and its brutal. 4 years ago my FIL wanted an above ground pool put in at the farm. Did all that work for him and decided I would just pay from there on out. Wife wants a retaining wall put in and I'm paying someone to do it.

You did put a slight grade on it for rain water drainage, right?
Yeah 3” at 10 feet

N. Pappagiorgio

Poster
Founder
Worst part is that you are going to have to cut every paver on that last row unless you are the luckiest guy on the planet. I would shorten the patio a few inches to match the last row of full pavers.

Top Bottom