Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Why do the crypto markets track the broader markets so much?

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder
Been a bloody week, especially for crypto, but I would have thought that crypto would be decorrelated from equities. But crypto just seems to move in the same direction, just harder

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Been a bloody week, especially for crypto, but I would have thought that crypto would be decorrelated from equities. But crypto just seems to move in the same direction, just harder

The main reason for the sell off imo is that coins do not produce any dividends, you are only hoping the price goes up. This sounds much more like a growth stock than a tradional dividend paying stock.

In a rising interest rate environment, growth stocks get hit and dividend paying stocks (take Coca Cola for example) fair better.

I think the coins will be correlated to the market (beta) fairly closely in the short term. However, over a 10 year period or so I think BTC outperforms the market.

Also, these decentralized network technologies are still in their infancy so there is a lot of work to be done in determining their actual value. It’s going to take many more years for the market to fully develop.

Will more people be using BTC 10 years from now or less? I can only answer more people, and that’s why I think it’s going higher. The more people that use BTC the higher it will go.

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder
The main reason for the sell off imo is that coins do not produce any dividends, you are only hoping the price goes up. This sounds much more like a growth stock than a tradional dividend paying stock.

In a rising interest rate environment, growth stocks get hit and dividend paying stocks (take Coca Cola for example) fair better.

I think the coins will be correlated to the market (beta) fairly closely in the short term. However, over a 10 year period or so I think BTC outperforms the market.

Also, these decentralized network technologies are still in their infancy so there is a lot of work to be done in determining their actual value. It’s going to take many more years for the market to fully develop.

Will more people be using BTC 10 years from now or less? I can only answer more people, and that’s why I think it’s going higher. The more people that use BTC the higher it will go.
Well many coins do produce interest now by holding them in your wallet. It's a bloodbath today in crypto (and therefore other markets are tracking that way). I am long crypto for sure though

PleasureMoose

Legendary
I'm still learning about the crypto market value but did Bitcoin just lose 2 grand in 30mins? this is the kind of stuff thats makes me iffy
1643033172921.png

Idk but could people be moving their risks out of Bitcoin and into the stock market bc war is right around the corner.... but stocks are crashing too so who knows

Last edited:

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
I'm still learning about the crypto market value but did Bitcoin just lose 2 grand in 30mins? this is the kind of stuff thats makes me iffy
View attachment 73948

Idk but could people be moving their risks out of Bitcoin and into the stock market bc war is right around the corner.... but stocks are crashing too so who knows

Crypto is still highly speculative. It doesn't have a long history to base value off of and its use cases are still being discovered daily. There are a lot of unknowns, including government regulation, so it probably should be volatile. Markets are at work determining a value for this technology and it seems to be functioning properly in my opinion. The markets are intact and efficient and that is whats important imo.

I don't know what the prices of the coins will do in the short term, but i feel good that in the long term they will have use and be good investments.

Its really hard to scoop the bottom or sell the top. I just have coinbase buy a set amount of BTC once a week.

PleasureMoose

Legendary
Crypto is still highly speculative. It doesn't have a long history to base value off of and its use cases are still being discovered daily. There are a lot of unknowns, including government regulation, so it probably should be volatile. Markets are at work determining a value for this technology and it seems to be functioning properly in my opinion. The markets are intact and efficient and that is whats important imo.

I don't know what the prices of the coins will do in the short term, but i feel good that in the long term they will have use and be good investments.

Its really hard to scoop the bottom or sell the top. I just have coinbase buy a set amount of BTC once a week.
I try and read all the info you post bc i can actually obtain and process it somewhat lol.. alot of the crypto talk is almost like a foreign language to me....and its frustrating

I'm treating it like my roth and 401k for the long-term investment.. only difference is I can figure up a future yield on those.

I'm gearing up to dive into crypto in the next few days.. So these are exciting times for me. would this not be a goodtime to load up on BTC? I'm about to go after that shit fast with the price dropping like it is

Reason I have my doubts is the government could shut individual users out of the economy with crypto... Id be down for a totally untraceable coin

Top Bottom