Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Why can’t we watch and listen to TV sports without announcers?

Belezabro

Elite
That’s actually one of the more enjoyable parts of watching sports for me. I learn a lot listening to announcers, especially baseball.

Cre8ive

Shaping the Future of Reality
Founder
I’m wagering many of you are like me and don’t like listening to play by play and color announcers in sports. I just want to hear the sounds of the game.

Why in 2021 does the option not exist to mute the talking heads?
I would love that! Great idea!

skramer100

Elite
Founder
Not what you want, but I mute the games and have music on. Been doing this for the last 2 football seasons, so much more enjoyable. I am old and don't need to learn anything more about football. I don't watch baseball or basketball anymore.

denn

Legendary
Founder
I am not a big fan of what the play by play announcers have become. It is like they want to be the entertainment portion of the broadcast and not just call the game.

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
I am not a big fan of what the play by play announcers have become. It is like they want to be the entertainment portion of the broadcast and not just call the game.
They have also become shills for "social justice". Shortly after George Floyd there was a PGA event from Minnesota. In the middle of the tournament, Jim Nance goes off on a multi-minute puff piece about that event and the resulting riots. Nance likely was prompted to do this by the producers in his earpiece and CBS. Part of the reason I have abandoned most sports is, as you said, they have long since passed just being announcers.

Sports should be a respite from politics but they have jumped into the political arena with both feet. They have done this on all levels even down to local sports our kids and grandkids play, in particular, this past year with Wuhan Charlie.

denn

Legendary
Founder
They have also become shills for "social justice". Shortly after George Floyd there was a PGA event from Minnesota. In the middle of the tournament, Jim Nance goes off on a multi-minute puff piece about that event and the resulting riots. Nance likely was prompted to do this by the producers in his earpiece and CBS. Part of the reason I have abandoned most sports is, as you said, they have long since passed just being announcers.

Sports should be a respite from politics but they have jumped into the political arena with both feet. They have done this on all levels even down to local sports our kids and grandkids play, in particular, this past year with Wuhan Charlie.
Ever listen to an ESPN play by play guy in the last couple years? They are worse than what Jim Nantz did that day. I did hear what was said by Nantz and thought to myself that he was being told what to say. Since that time I haven't seen much of that from the PGA tour broadcasts.

Sports and politics are just not a good mix. In a time when people are happy to have common ground and an outlet to just focus on something that is as simple as a game. I have no issue with athletes or sports types voicing their opinions. Just do it on your own time and not the time most of us would rather see the athletes doing what we are tuning in for. Competition.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
Not what you want, but I mute the games and have music on. Been doing this for the last 2 football seasons, so much more enjoyable. I am old and don't need to learn anything more about football. I don't watch baseball or basketball anymore.

yeah muting it is ok sometimes, but I want to hear the sounds from the field/court/ice

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
Ever listen to an ESPN play by play guy in the last couple years? They are worse than what Jim Nantz did that day. I did hear what was said by Nantz and thought to myself that he was being told what to say. Since that time I haven't seen much of that from the PGA tour broadcasts.

Sports and politics are just not a good mix. In a time when people are happy to have common ground and an outlet to just focus on something that is as simple as a game. I have no issue with athletes or sports types voicing their opinions. Just do it on your own time and not the time most of us would rather see the athletes doing what we are tuning in for. Competition.
I try to avoid ESPN. Beth Mowins is an instant "change channels" voice. Sounds like "road rash" on her vocal cords. Too many dicks rubbing on them?

scanodd

Poster
Founder
That would be great imo. Today it's more about the production than the game. I don't need sideline reporters or incessant yapping by people in the booth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom