Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Want to know what $489,000 gets you in the 4th worst city in America? Austin, TX.

mrt

Elite
I was in Austin around 75 with a friend and we stopped at one of the first Taco Bell franchise. I remember nothing worth mentioning about Austin back then and only saw dirt sand and more sand. This was long before all the communist ass wipes moved in. My last trip through Austin was 2005 I didn't stop but was amazed at how much it had grown since my last trip in 75. I had two dogs in the Truck with me and they were happy when I stopped at the Llano River and we had our breakfast. I have great memories of the Llano River in the early 70s camping and fishing with my best friends. It is still beautiful there and the river has changed course somewhat since so long ago. I often have to slap myself to remind me how long 50 years really is. I used to go to a lot of car racing events and saw a couple Nascar 500s at Texas World Speedway in Bryan Tx. I worked for my father in law for a time as an electrician and he wired 400 apartments on the outskirts of Bryan. It was such a long drive from Houston to Bryan we started sleeping in one of the finished apartments so we could be on the job every morning. I remember going to a nice club on the other side of Bryan and it was named The Red Lion, very nice big club but a total ghost town and nothing going on. Now you would think a college town had a crowd at a big club but not in 71. A few years later like 76 I found myself working there on leased equipment from the Hein Werner dealer I worked for in Houston. I also was in the early Woodlands development working on our equipment. I covered a lot of miles in the 70s. Austin did not impress me one iota. I know it's a bit freaky but the old owner of the Hein Werner dealer I worked for, well he is in his 80s and moved to Austin when he retired. I'll leave this long post after I tell you what the owner did one day in his life. His nice house caught fire and was burning everything they owned and the only thing he grabbed was his suit rack from a large closet. His wife and son ask him what was he thinking, he told them he didn't care about all that other shit, he made his living with those suits he just saved. Heh.. he was a really good guy to work for. Good memories heh. He bought a nice new house in the Woodlands and sent me and my wife an invite for the annual Christmas party telling us it was at 5pm. We showed up at 5pm and everyone was leaving, they screwed up and sent me an invite for the customer and associates party a couple days earlier. ;0)

Fansong63

Poster
Graduated from UT in 77 and had season tickets for football for many years. Gave them up and haven't been to Austin proper in about 15 years. Have friends and relatives who live in Georgetown and that's as far as I go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom