Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Upcoming Remodel: Pro Tips

VosFrost

Elite
Founder
Hey fellas, 2 weeks til total rebuild of laundry room, kitchen and add on. Going to live here during entire renovation.

Going to take approx 3 months. Have an empty rental home about a mile away for laundry but any pro tips for managing dishes and the day-to-day with travel sinks, rental fridge/freezer, stoves etc?

Wife stressing out as we have 1 year old and just found out another on the way. Would love to make life as easy as possible.

042_450.gif

44Bobcats55

Elite
Founder
I would not attempt a remodel while you live there. Lots of dust. I lived in mine for 2 years while my wife was on a work project in Seattle.

FSU_Drews32

Poster
Founder
We did the kitchen while living in the house. It sucked doing dishes. Bought a 1/2 size fridge and put it in the dining room. Used a lot of disposable plates and utensils

VosFrost

Elite
Founder
Just curious but if you have an empty rental, why dont you live there during the remodel?
Unfurnished and completely empty. With one year old, we preferred hassle of kitchen/laundry than moving out and removing other place from market.

That decision was definitely on the table.

lhpvol

Poster
Unfurnished and completely empty. With one year old, we preferred hassle of kitchen/laundry than moving out and removing other place from market.

That decision was definitely on the table.
Does your wife/child stay at home? Either way, I would revisit the decision if I were you. If your kid is going to be there all day, it wouldnt be a decision. The dust, noise, and inconvenience of not having a functional kitchen would be a no brainer. JMO

skramer100

Elite
Founder
Did one on our old house while we lived there. Luckily we live in Florida so the weather was nice. Lots of grilling was done. As others said, paper plates/disposable silverware as well as reusing your cup or buying a ton of solo cups. And if you were told 3 months, plan for it being done by the 4th of July.

HunterPKP

Poster
Founder
As another poster said, do not live there during this. Our place was so dusty, I think I would've gotten mesothelioma's equivalent.

Kitchen's are damn expensive. Are you doing Hardwoods as well? If so, what is square footage of remodel? Roughly 800 sq ft would normally cost 13-15K. We had a connection so only paid just over 7500 all in including labor. Also, engineered wood or pure hardwood? If concrete slab, I recommend engineered and float it. If wood, true hard woods and glue them down. Concrete sweats.

Appliances matter and so do fixtures. Countertops just as important. What are you doing there? All in, we spent 40K and that's with some price cuts due to knowing some folks.

We did minimal work to our laundry room.

Top Bottom