Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turkish Lira is collapsing

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder
Inflation will be the story of 2021 IMO. Food (energy and building materials) inflation has taken off here, but I can only imagine what it's like in developing countries. Middle East will be a shit show.
Yep, we just dump our inflation on all those international faggits. No wonder everyone hates the US.

Still invested in energy, miners and real estate as a hedge

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Inflation will be the story of 2021 IMO. Food (energy and building materials) inflation has taken off here, but I can only imagine what it's like in developing countries. Middle East will be a shit show.

How can anyone believe that inflation is only 2% ? Prices have taken off since the scamdemic and they haven’t looked in the rear view mirror since.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
How can anyone believe that inflation is only 2% ? Prices have taken off since the scamdemic and they haven’t looked in the rear view mirror since.
I spent $18 on 3 chalupas, a nachos belgrande and 2 cokes at taco bell.... That shit was $12 just a few years ago. When dogshit food starts increasing in prices to insane amounts you know that shit is getting weird.

BigBucnNole

Elite
Screw the hedge fund and banks.

I hate memes like these. FIrst off, those are commodities and they fluctuate hence why we have futures. Secondly, CPI is based on a market basket of goods that have pricing tied to their inputs which includes... commodities. I get trying to search out the "truth" but to pretend everything is some sort of conspiracy is the very essence of what is wrong with the internet and now our politics.

Jtrain80

Legendary
Screw the hedge fund and banks.

I hate memes like these. FIrst off, those are commodities and they fluctuate hence why we have futures. Secondly, CPI is based on a market basket of goods that have pricing tied to their inputs which includes... commodities. I get trying to search out the "truth" but to pretend everything is some sort of conspiracy is the very essence of what is wrong with the internet and now our politics.

Yup. People can discuss things openly. That is what good for civilization, not bad.

Regarding the inflation issue, movement is the key. If you know ahead of time, you can make a shit ton of money betting appropriately.

Tell_Sackett

Poster
One of the ways it gets underreported is that the government counts replacement items of inferior quality as equal if it has the same utility as the item it replaced in the CPI.

For example, I'm staying at a beautiful refurbished farmhouse with the family for spring break. They have several old all Steel Tonka trucks on display that are used for decor and for the kids to play with. When I gave one to my 12 year old, she could not believe how substantial it was. Her jaw dropped when she picked it up.

This is a simplified example, but the government counts a new all plastic Tonka truck as having replacement utility for the old steel version. It likely costs more in gross dollars than the steel version did in 1965, but the price inflation is muted due to the change in materials, build quality, and more efficient (ie cheaper) manufacturing processes. That all steel version would cost $100 new today versus the likely $10 in 1965. It is nowhere close to the same quality and my 12 year old could immediately tell the difference... why can't the government? Let me answer that... It can, it's just lying to us.

Tell_Sackett

Poster
One of the ways it gets underreported is that the government counts replacement items of inferior quality as equal if it has the same utility as the item it replaced in the CPI.

For example, I'm staying at a beautiful refurbished farmhouse with the family for spring break. They have several old all Steel Tonka trucks on display that are used for decor and for the kids to play with. When I gave one to my 12 year old, she could not believe how substantial it was. Her jaw dropped when she picked it up.

This is a simplified example, but the government counts a new all plastic Tonka truck as having replacement utility for the old steel version. It likely costs more in gross dollars than the steel version did in 1965, but the price inflation is muted due to the change in materials, build quality, and more efficient (ie cheaper) manufacturing processes. That all steel version would cost $100 new today versus the likely $10 in 1965. It is nowhere close to the same quality and my 12 year old could immediately tell the difference... why can't the government? Let me answer that... It can, it's just lying to us.
Just a follow up to my own post... I thought it interesting. They have an original mid 60s truck as well as a late 70s or early 80s version. Both trucks still have the all steel body, but the two piece inset wheels have been replaced with a one piece stamped wheel. The metal front grill is now plastic. The interior is detailed on the 60s version.... the newer version smoked the glass so as to hide the interior or lack thereof. It had already started.

Top Bottom