Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

This Tampa cop was an American hero.

MaizeBlaze

I’m just here so I won’t get fined.
Founder
https://www.tampabay.com/news/hillsborough/2021/03/09/tampa-police-officer-killed-in-crash-on-i-275/

Former infantryman, received 7 life-saving medals from Tampa PD. Witnesses say he veered into the wrong-way driver to stop him from striking other vehicles. Rest easy, brother.

still-2021-03-09-16h30m28s287.jpg

1615467775395.jpeg

MaizeBlaze

I’m just here so I won’t get fined.
Founder
TAMPA — Tampa Master Patrol Officer Jesse Madsen had a history of saving people from dangerous situations while on the job.

During his 16-year tenure at the Tampa Police Department, the 45-year-old husband and father of three earned the department’s Life-Saving Award seven times.

His last act in the line of duty may be worthy of an eighth.

Madsen was heading north on Interstate 275 early Tuesday when a wrong-way driver slammed into his marked SUV. Madsen and the other driver were killed on impact.

“We have reason to believe that he veered into this oncoming car to protect others,” Police Chief Brian Dugan said at a news conference at the department’s downtown headquarters Tuesday morning. “That is what we have gathered from some of our witnesses.”

Police began to receive 911 calls shortly before 1 a.m. Tuesday about a white sedan traveling south at a high rate of speed and swerving through northbound lanes of the interstate between the Hillsborough Avenue and Sligh Avenue exits. About a minute after the first call, another came in reporting that the car had collided with a marked patrol vehicle.

Ultfight

Poster
Founder
This has been making the rounds down here in Tampa - like you said, this guy was a true hero, and this is just a horrible situation. Seems like there is always someone driving the wrong way on the interstate here (275), which is very weird.

In this link, there is the ability to donate to the family, if you so choose.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/city...-blue-to-remember-fallen-officer-jesse-madsen

TAMPA, Fla. - The Tampa Police Department is mourning the loss of one of their own. 45-year-old Officer Jesse Madsen was killed early Tuesday while attempting to stop a wrong-way driver on I-275.

As night fell, bridges, buildings, and the Tampa Riverwalk were illuminated in blue. The color change is honoring a protector of the city, lost.

"We were really sad about what happened," said Andy Acevedo, who noticed the blue color by the Riverwalk.

Officer remembered for heroism, dedication to family​

Lloyd Sowers reports

Just before 1 a.m. Tuesday, a wrong-way driver was speeding and swerving on I-275 between Hillsborough and Sligh Avenues. Tampa Officer Jesse Madsen tried to intervene but the other driver, Joshua Montague of Golden, Colorado crashed into his cruiser, killing them both.

"We have reason to believe he veered into this oncoming car to protect others," said Tampa Police Chief Brian Dugan.

"In the last seconds in his life, he took steps to try to save others by laying down his life," said Mayor Jane Castor. "That really is a true testament to the kind of individual that Jesse Madsen was."

Tampa officer killed in I-275 crash likely collided with wrong-way car on purpose to save others, chief says
slideshow

Tampa officer killed in I-275 crash likely collided with wrong-way car on purpose to save others, chief says

The Tampa Police Department is mourning the loss of one of their own after a "highly-decorated" officer, a Marine Corps veteran who had been with the agency for 16 years, was killed in a wrong-way crash.
2021 has been especially difficult for Bay Area law enforcement. Madsen is the third killed in the line of duty.

January 11, Hillsborough County Master Corporal Brian Lavigne died after a suspect hit his cruiser, one shift before he was set to retire.

"When someone called for help, he was going to go," said Hillsborough County Sheriff Chad Chronister the day of Lavigne's funeral. "Unfortunately, going to render that help is what led to him being murdered that evening."

February 17, Pinellas County Deputy Michael Magli lost his life trying to stop a drunk driver.

"Deputy Michael J Magli was in the right place doing what cops do every day throughout this country, protecting others even if it means grave dangers to themselves," Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said at Magli's funeral.

In 16-and-a-half years with Tampa Police, Officer Madsen earned seven awards for life-saving acts. His final act of service likely saved even more.

TPD officer sacrificed life to save others from wrong-way driver​

Josh Cascio reports
This week, flags throughout the city will fly at half staff and blue lights will serve as a sobering reminder of what's at stake for those in uniform.

"We're here to pay respects and also to the families he left behind and all his friends and everything," said Acevedo. "He was giving his all to the city and helping people and being a great citizen."

Officer Madsen was also a combat veteran and a U.S. Marine. He leaves behind a wife, two sons and a daughter.

Those interested in donating to the Madsen family can do so through the Tampa Police foundation, Rise Tampa. Officials said 100% of the donations will be given directly to the family.

There are several ways to donate:

In person - Monetary donations can be submitted to any Bank of Tampa branch in MPO Madsen's name

By mail - Checks or money orders can be sent to:RISE Tampai/c/o MPO MadsenPO Box 172816Tampa, FL 33672

Online - risetampa.org/officermadsen

Venmo - @risetampa

PayPal - paypal.com/paypalme/risetampa
/SPOILER]

Top Bottom