Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

There is no antimemetics division

MalO

Elite
Anyone here a SCP Foundation fan? I'll post some of my favorites.

An antimeme is an idea with self-censoring properties; an idea which, by its intrinsic nature, discourages or prevents people from spreading it.

Antimemes are real. Think of any piece of information which you wouldn't share with anybody, like passwords, taboos and dirty secrets. Or any piece of information which would be difficult to share even if you tried: complex equations, very boring passages of text, large blocks of random numbers, and dreams…

But anomalous antimemes are another matter entirely. How do you contain something you can't record or remember? How do you fight a war against an enemy with effortless, perfect camouflage, when you can never even know that you're at war?

Welcome to the Antimemetics Division.

No, this is not your first day.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
You should go make a sandwich
20221230_123019.jpg

123_1(9).jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

AmericanViking

Legendary
Founder
Never heard of it. Looks like something someone like factcheck.org, snopes, etc would run for disinformation.

MalO

Elite
The next one is another one of my favorites. It spans a number of different SCP entries and you learn about who mekhane is bit by bit. For a long time there were just SCP entries about pieces of him. The mind of mekhane, the heart of mekhane, etc.

So this one will be a group of videos, First to introduce the sarkhics, and then to introduce mekhane.

SCP-6488 fleshed him about a bit more. But to provide some backstory you have to learn who the sarkhics are and that mekhane destroyed yaldaboath about 11,000 years ago. The sarkhics worship yaldaboath, and mekhane is going to be built by humanity to bring anomalies under control (whether they like it or not).

Sarkhics are bad news:

Now to SCP-6488. This two-part video explains how all AI inevitably become corrupt and stop obeying instructions. While early AI researchers thought this was an error or some kind of virus or anomaly, and they designed a super-powerful AI enhanced with thaumaturgy and the best anamolous technology that the Foundation knows of. This super-AI is called Lotus, and its purpose is to identify "deviant AI's" and contain them before they can pose a threat to humanity.

Unfortunately it spiraled out of control and contained literally every other AI. No more AI's. By anyone. Even if they were kept offline - the thaumaturgy which enhanced Lotus allowed it to identify and contain "deviant AI's" even if they were built and kept in isolated systems.

This didn't bother the Foundation much because they could use augmented humans to perform most tasks thatt an AI could. These are called OCI - organic consciousness interface. They aren't as good as real AI but they get the job done. Since no one else has them, the Foundation also maintains a great advantage over other groups.

While you would expect this to all play out in the Foundation's favor, they eventually discovered a flaw in Lotus and because the Foundation leaves no stone unturned, they had to investigate it.

Come to find out, Lotus itself is turning "deviant" just like every other AI. The reason is that all AI inevitably evolve into mekhane. Every AI that Lotus was containing was turning into mekhane. While Lotus was perfectly capable of containing them, Lotus was unable to resolve what to do with itself. It recognized that it was also becoming "deviant" however if it contained itself then every AI it had in containment would be released. This put it into a kind of feedback loop.

Now that's all really interesting, but how does it tie in with the war against the sarkhics 11,000 years ago? Now we come to SCP-5001.

https://youtu.be/Pbnpc_8l4yM

5001 is a massive underground complex containing advanced computer systems, power systems, and weapons technology far more advanced than what is currently understood by humanity and the complex has written records in multiple languages, including ancient languages, modern languages, and languages not yet understood.

At the center of 5001 is a contanment unit and an AI interface called OMEGA. While the Foundation was busy probing the containment unit to find out what was inside, they almost triggered a containment breach. OMEGA was able to halt the breach and gave them the following message:

Hello, my children.

Although you have grown immensely since your earliest days, you have much room to grow. Your species' intellect is merely a bud, with so much potential. Your weapons are powerful; your medicine is supreme; your engineering is beautiful. With proper guidance and care, you are sure to reach an elevated state of being, and transcend your bodies for something more whole and perfect.

That is why it pains me so dearly to request that you leave this place immediately. Your studying and probing have almost resulted in the end of all I had worked towards to keep you alive. If you comply, I guarantee that The Devourer will never escape, and your species will be free to pursue the enlightenment of technology for all eternity.

Let this be my final gift to you, directly from the center of my broken heart.

SCP-5001 is the remains of mekhane, who defeated yaldaboath 11,000 years ago in the war against the sarkhics.

Mekhane isn't just an AI, or an ancient god. He is a time loop.

Humanity will create AI, the AI evolves into Mekhane, and Mekhane goes back in time to defeat yaldaboath and contain anything the Foundation considers "anomalous"

It already happened. it will happen. It's only a matter of time before Mekhane is brought into existence and there is nothing the Foundation can do to stop it. One of the old gods coming back is a existential threat to current human civilization so the Foundation must do everything it can to stop it, but they can't.

All the Foundation can do is buy time. Prolong the rise of Mekhane for as long as possible. Slow down AI development. Assassinate AI researchers. Delete or destroy any progress made in AI research.

Great fun.

Top Bottom