Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The ship that sank the world economy

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
As far as I know. I don’t have many details on it, been at work late right

I don't know much about canals, but that seems like a crazy narrow spot to not have been under tow. The article said there was no mechanical issue, so you'd have to assume an error on the captain's part...your inital thoughts on the cause may prove to be correct.

Jayhacker

Legendary
Founder
Damn, the clintons into the shipping business now? Might be a Choi owned vessel too.

BigBucnNole

Elite
May take a few weeks.

106858552-1616584306420-AP21083282377835.jpg

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Apparently they are blaming the wind, and the ship was under the command of 2 canal pilots...so it was probably as much their fault as anyone. Doubt they ever give us their names, but maybe. I can't find info about the crew anywhere, but not surprising, as the same crew isn't with the ship for every voyage.

22*43*51

Boob Enthusiast
Founder
No way this is true. It can't be.
2/3's true.

1/3 is Sea Captain(True)
1/3 is Hawt(True)
1/3 was piloting ship stuck in the Suez Canal(Likely False)

This link denies it was her, but looks like it was written by a 3rd grader. Also, badly screws up the dimensions of the tanker(only 120 meters, no way)

Last edited:

ETNVol

Legendary
Founder
A friend of mine was a merchant marine. He said that before the Exxon Valdez incident, it wasn't unusual for one of the big cargo ships to be at sea undermanned because most everyone on board would be under the influence of something. He said that as an 18 year old, he woke up one day to find the ship unhelmed in a storm, the captain passed out in a drunken stupor, and he was left alone to pilot the ship (with the vague instructions from the owner to "head towards South America til I find us a job there"). He said after the Valdez incident, everyone started implementing drug and alcohol testing and it changed everything.

He knew Joseph Hazelwood and said the blame was unfairly placed on him (though I don't really understand the story he tells). My friend wasn't on the Valdez, but he was on the cargo ship that crashed into the boardwalk in New Orleans in the mid-90s. He said back in his early days, they relied on some ancient sailing guide for maps and navigation, there were no electronics guiding the ships he was on, it was almost all manual.

AgEngDawg

Legendary
I’m sure it was an Asian driving

I remember there was a show that I watched on FX called "Rubicon". It was about consultants that worked on National Security issues.

Well they did a study that showed the way to destroy the US economy was to sink a freight ship blocking the harbor at Houston. They indicated that it would take months to remove and destroy the US economy.

Anyway, the show ended with terrorists doing exactly that. No second season so I never found out what happened.

Last edited:

PawPower1981

I love those 👩🏻‍🦰
Founder
A friend of mine was a merchant marine. He said that before the Exxon Valdez incident, it wasn't unusual for one of the big cargo ships to be at sea undermanned because most everyone on board would be under the influence of something. He said that as an 18 year old, he woke up one day to find the ship unhelmed in a storm, the captain passed out in a drunken stupor, and he was left alone to pilot the ship (with the vague instructions from the owner to "head towards South America til I find us a job there"). He said after the Valdez incident, everyone started implementing drug and alcohol testing and it changed everything.

He knew Joseph Hazelwood and said the blame was unfairly placed on him (though I don't really understand the story he tells). My friend wasn't on the Valdez, but he was on the cargo ship that crashed into the boardwalk in New Orleans in the mid-90s. He said back in his early days, they relied on some ancient sailing guide for maps and navigation, there were no electronics guiding the ships he was on, it was almost all manual.

my friend is a harbor pilot in SSI when that shipped overturned and he always tells funny stories...said they found some stowaways that came across the Atlantic. Said there were no bathrooms in the storage area so they shit inside the cars coming overseas 💩

AgEngDawg

Legendary
I remember there was a show that I watched on FX called "Rubicon". It was about consultants that worked on National Security issues.

Well they did a study that showed the way to destroy the US economy was to sink a freight ship blocking the harbor at Houston. They indicated that it would take months to remove and destroy the US.

Anyway, the show ended with terrorists doing exactly that. No second season so I never found out what happened.

or maybe it was to sink an oil tanker and not a freight ship. However, I remember specifically it was the Houston harbor.

sclaw03

Poster
Apparently they are blaming the wind, and the ship was under the command of 2 canal pilots...so it was probably as much their fault as anyone. Doubt they ever give us their names, but maybe. I can't find info about the crew anywhere, but not surprising, as the same crew isn't with the ship for every voyage.
Just read that. Seems like the 2 canal pilots were just going to blame the ship for losing power, but the shipping company pushed back against that quick. So are they really going to blame 30 mph wind? Is that a lot over there?

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Just read that. Seems like the 2 canal pilots were just going to blame the ship for losing power, but the shipping company pushed back against that quick. So are they really going to blame 30 mph wind? Is that a lot over there?

Maybe they had a strong gust hit them broadside? The channel looks narrow there. They probably already know. The bridge of those ships have black boxes, like planes. They even have microphones around the room, recording everything. If the pilots made a mistake, they won't be able to hide it.

Jtrain80

Legendary
You're thinking of the Panama Canal, these ain't Mexicans

One of my buddies went over there doing pipeline work. He said central Americans have it good compared to what they do to Indians (dot not feather) over in the middle east. Only slightly higher standing in society than a slave.

Top Bottom