Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TFSF Golf Thread

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Masters weekend, also known as the best weekend of the year, is approaching us. The big story of course is that Tiger Woods has announced that he will play this weekend. He says his swing is fine, but he may have trouble with walking long distances. Woods, of course, was in an infamous car accident a couple years ago and had metal rods and screws placed in his foot and claims to still be in the recovery process. Tiger has immaculate knowledge of the course in Augusta and this should help him stay competitive if, and only if, he is hitting the ball well. It will be interesting to see if he has the stamina to stay competitive for 4 rounds. The weather looks to be on the chilly side which won't do his leg any favors. 24 hours before his tee time the odds are hovering around 75-1 that woods can win the tournament.

Also of note is that Phil Mickleson is absent from this years Masters with many speculating he has been suspended by the PGA tour for disparaging comments directed their way by Phil. Phil flirted with an offer from a Saudi Arabia backed tour and launched some harsh criticism of the PGA tour and called them greedy with their media rights. Some players have said they have tried to contact Phil but he has gone dark. No update from him lately.

Coverage of the Par 3 contest starts at noon today on Masters.com.

Who ya got?

1649245598572.png

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
I don’t care much about golfing or watching golf, but I have always enjoyed watching the Master’s

Ditto. It's like spring is here, when you turn on the tv & see that beautiful course in full bloom. Been there a couple times for practice rounds. Unreal experience. Most flawlessly manicured course I have seen, & the tv does it little justice. My Dad was lucky enough to play there, stay in a cabin on the course, and eat a dinner in the dining room or whatever. Talk about bucket list!

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
The TV really doesn't do the course justice. There are a ton of elevation changes on the course that are hard to pick up even with the high definition TV's. The greens undulate far more than any other greens I have seen.

Ditto. It's like spring is here, when you turn on the tv & see that beautiful course in full bloom. Been there a couple times for practice rounds. Unreal experience. Most flawlessly manicured course I have seen, & the tv does it little justice. My Dad was lucky enough to play there, stay in a cabin on the course, and eat a dinner in the dining room or whatever. Talk about bucket list!

Damn that is a bucket list day for sure! I know several people who have played but never really been close myself. hope to do it one day!

Jayhacker

Legendary
Founder
My brother did the same thing a few years ago. He said there is not a blade of grass outta place on that course. Tiger has his work cut out for him to just be able to walk this course for 4 rounds yet alone shoot good scores.

RollyInRaleigh

Legendary
My son worked the Ladies Amateur in Augusta last week and was at the final at Augusta National with my wife last Saturday. I got to go last year. Augusta National is like no other. My son is a turf science graduate from Purdue an is an Assistant superintendent at a private course in Charlotte since his graduation in 2019.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
My brother did the same thing a few years ago. He said there is not a blade of grass outta place on that course. Tiger has his work cut out for him to just be able to walk this course for 4 rounds yet alone shoot good scores.

Yeah, realisitcally he has little shot. I hold out a sliver of hope because he usually plays the course well most of the time and the storyline would be incredible.

I'm really liking John Rahm and Alexander Schauflee, they both seem to play Augusta well and can handle the pressure. Maybe Dustin Johnson?

@denn who ya got this week?

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
The TV really doesn't do the course justice. There are a ton of elevation changes on the course that are hard to pick up even with the high definition TV's. The greens undulate far more than any other greens I have seen.

Damn that is a bucket list day for sure! I know several people who have played but never really been close myself. hope to do it one day!

Yeah, I had NO IDEA how hilly that course was. The tv just can't show it.

Funny, I always describe it the same way...you could walk to the furthest patch of green from the fairway, off in a distant wooded corner of the property, and there would not be a single blade of grass that isn't perfect.

RollyInRaleigh

Legendary
When I was there with my son last year, we were walking down the side of the fairway on #10. We both noticed at the same time that there was some grass growing up by the side of one of the trees in the pine straw. We both looked at each other...with a shocked and startled look....he walked over and pulled the grass in true superintendent fashion.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
If you've ever been there after play is over, it is interesting to watch the mowers. We saw them all come out & down the fairway, then all turn at the same time, in formation if you will. Such a cool place.

Also for those who haven't been...they charge almost nothing for concessions, like probably cheaper than your local high school football game, and shirts and hats & stuff are very reasonably priced. The people who own & run that place don't need your money with their own fortunes plus the almost endless well that is cbs.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
If you've ever been there after play is over, it is interesting to watch the mowers. We saw them all come out & down the fairway, then all turn at the same time, in formation if you will. Such a cool place.

Also for those who haven't been...they charge almost nothing for concessions, like probably cheaper than your local high school football game, and shirts and hats & stuff are very reasonably priced. The people who own & run that place don't need your money with their own fortunes plus the almost endless well that is cbs.

They have a ridiculous amount of John Deere equipment.

ttyh

Legendary
Founder
I've been told the walk up the 18th fairway to the green is way steeper than it appears on TV.

10 is like a blue run at a ski resort.

I attended in 2015 and went on Saturday and Sunday. At the time, I worked for a global staffing agency and I took a client. We had a 12 bedroom house on the Savannah River in Aiken, SC. Amazing experience. Chauffer to and from the course each day. Chef prepared breakfast before we left for the day and dinner when we got home. I spent over $1500 in the gift shop and just shipped it straight home from the FedEx store located right inside the gift shop. Have one of the hats I got on now.

Everything there operates fluidly and to perfection. I've never seen a bathroom or concession line move so quickly. It spoils you. Egg salad and pimento cheese sandwiches were $1.50 IIRC and beers were $1.50 IIRC.

Oh, and my boy Jordan Spieth posted the win. Goosebumps just typing that out. Hope he gets back to the mountaintop again.

RollyInRaleigh

Legendary
10 is like a blue run at a ski resort.

I attended in 2015 and went on Saturday and Sunday. At the time, I worked for a global staffing agency and I took a client. We had a 12 bedroom house on the Savannah River in Aiken, SC. Amazing experience. Chauffer to and from the course each day. Chef prepared breakfast before we left for the day and dinner when we got home. I spent over $1500 in the gift shop and just shipped it straight home from the FedEx store located right inside the gift shop. Have one of the hats I got on now.

Everything there operates fluidly and to perfection. I've never seen a bathroom or concession line move so quickly. It spoils you. Egg salad and pimento cheese sandwiches were $1.50 IIRC and beers were $1.50 IIRC.

Oh, and my boy Jordan Spieth posted the win. Goosebumps just typing that out. Hope he gets back to the mountaintop again.
My son and I played a round at The Aiken Golf Club last year. Very enjoyable trac!

denn

Legendary
Founder
Yeah, realisitcally he has little shot. I hold out a sliver of hope because he usually plays the course well most of the time and the storyline would be incredible.

I'm really liking John Rahm and Alexander Schauflee, they both seem to play Augusta well and can handle the pressure. Maybe Dustin Johnson?

@denn who ya got this week?
Those that you mentioned are all good choices. Xander seems to always be in contention at Augusta. I like him as a slight dark horse. DJ is always a good choice. He seems to be playing better lately as well.

I think it is difficult to ignore Scotty Scheffler right now. I would say he is a good one to bet on as his odds are probably a lot higher than previous #1 players in the world at Augusta.

With all that said, I am going with Cameron Smith.

ttyh

Legendary
Founder
Those that you mentioned are all good choices. Xander seems to always be in contention at Augusta. I like him as a slight dark horse. DJ is always a good choice. He seems to be playing better lately as well.

I think it is difficult to ignore Scotty Scheffler right now. I would say he is a good one to bet on as his odds are probably a lot higher than previous #1 players in the world at Augusta.

With all that said, I am going with Cameron Smith.

JT has been spending a lot of time with Tiger. That will pay off soon at Augusta National.

I'm in a pool where we pick 5 players for each major and once you have used a player, you can't use them again the remainder of the season.

I'm considering JT, Spieth(always around at Augusta and his strokes gained last weekend was eye popping. I think he gets the putter going this weekend), Patrick Reed, Jon Rahm, Louis O and Cam Smith.

I am flirting with the idea of putting Dylan Frittelli in my fivesome as a darkhorse.

We added The Players this year as a fifth major and I burned Scotty Scheffler already. I think he has a great shot this weekend.

I also like Sam Burns as a darkhorse.

denn

Legendary
Founder
JT has been spending a lot of time with Tiger. That will pay off soon at Augusta National.

I'm in a pool where we pick 5 players for each major and once you have used a player, you can't use them again the remainder of the season.

I'm considering JT, Spieth(always around at Augusta and his strokes gained last weekend was eye popping. I think he gets the putter going this weekend), Patrick Reed, Jon Rahm, Louis O and Cam Smith.

I am flirting with the idea of putting Dylan Frittelli in my fivesome as a darkhorse.

We added The Players this year as a fifth major and I burned Scotty Scheffler already. I think he has a great shot this weekend.

I also like Sam Burns as a darkhorse.
Sam Burns is a very good dark horse. Kind of a dark horse I should say. He is having a solid year.

d-tiger45

I run shit around here
Founder
Me and dad went in 2018. He was 3 months out of knee replacement and we walked 14 miles that day. He only needed torest every hour or so so we’d head to the bleachers looking into the 13th green and 14 tee box.

Sandwiches were $2, water/tea $2, peach ice creanm sandwich $3 and I ate 3 of them.
Pro shop I got 3 hats, a polo, Masters tervis and a zip up hoodie. Well worth it,

then we went To hooters and hung out with John Daly,

1649274037661.jpeg

Top Bottom