Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Swimming Pool discussion

Cat_Incognito

Elite
Founder
Almost finished with the build. Fiberglass 17x35 saltwater Aspen. Any advice other than fill it up with bleach and drink it?

Solar cover? Ledge loungers? How do you winterize your pool? Looking for a basketball goal to mount on the side, what kinds of toys do you have? Anyone have solar party lights strung around their pool or doing electric?

P.S. Fence guy quoted me $35 linear ft for vinyl privacy. Holy forking shit. I'm in the wrong line of work. I have a lot of yard.

Cat_Incognito

Elite
Founder
You have a place for ledge loungers? I have a fountain coming out of my ledge so if I put one of those it’d become basically an overpriced bidet.
Yes, I have a tanning ledge that will probably accommodate 2 of them. I avoided having bubblers installed for the scenario you explained. I was never a yoo-hoo fan. This is the pool I had installed...

Aspen-16x40-Graphite-WM-3.jpg

Boxman4

Elite
Founder
Bball hoop is portable (water filled base). Nice fiberglass backboard and adjustable pole. Once we open, I will send a photo. Disclaimer - upper Midwest (MI) - concrete/gunite bowl. Originally built in 70’s (10’ bowl with diving board). Did a complete renovation in 2012 with new gunite, plaster, tile and granite coping.
26’ x 43’ (irregular kidney shape). Enjoy!

22*43*51

Boob Enthusiast
Founder
Pay to have a professional "winterize"(close) it for the season. They carry insurance and will be liable if they screw it up. If you screw it up and your underground plumbing freezes, the cost of busting up your decking will be yours alone.

After once, or twice of watching it open in the spring you should be able to do that part on your own, but leave the close to the pros.

Yes, get a cover. It will keep debris out of the pool and keep you from having to run your heater.

MVTPatriot

Elite
Founder
That's an impressive layout. I was in the pool business(owned my own service business for 8 years).

Just curious as to the cost difference between the fiberglass and concrete in your area. Must have been significant. Going with salt will be better long term for pool surface and the swimmers(less harmful chems). You'll also avoid the spikes and dips in CH levelss during the summer of heavy use.

As recommended, unless you want to clean yourself, pay a professional to assist with chems during the summer season. In your area, they also help with the winterizing and start up each year.

Cards1968

Founder
We had a B-ball/volleyball combo set and used the volleyball much more. Looks like your pool won't be as accommodating for that as ours was with that odd shallow end grading.

poke2001

Poster
Founder
I don’t winterize mine. Pump comes on when it gets below freezing. I did have to shut it all down and drain equipment during the deep freeze a few weeks ago. Mine is gunite, built in ledges with bubblers on the tanning ledge.

honestly, I have a raft and a cooler of beer in the summer. Pretty simple.

skramer100

Elite
Founder
Winterize? We swim in our year round down here.
For the hoop, stay away from anything not fully plastic. No metal or else you will get rust. Hoop Shot I think makes a great one.

Boxman4

Elite
Founder
Winters in Michigan are rough on equipment. Drain water line below the returns and blow out all lines then cap them off. Elephant cover handles a lot of snow just fine.

SamuraiFred

Poster
Mine was supposed to start digging early January yet here I sit on March 10 and they may start in a “couple week”.

Top Bottom