Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Soy Roy Williams retiring

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder
Where does he stack up among the GOAT coaches? Serious question I don’t have a ton of perspective on college hoops history

Chris Farley

Misunderstood lurker
Founder
200.gif

denn

Legendary
Founder
Where does he stack up among the GOAT coaches? Serious question I don’t have a ton of perspective on college hoops history
He is certainly pretty far up there. In my lifetime I'd say he is top 5 at the very least. Probably better. I do not like him or UNC, at all, but what he was able to accomplish is pretty remarkable.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
He is certainly pretty far up there. In my lifetime I'd say he is top 5 at the very least. Probably better. I do not like him or UNC, at all, but what he was able to accomplish is pretty remarkable.

You are the Denniden from DI back in the day, aren't you?

denn

Legendary
Founder
You are the Denniden from DI back in the day, aren't you?
Yes sir. I left being an admin on that site a few years ago. More so to help on another DU site and focus on the national Rivals boards as an admin. I am currently not involved with either of those.

I should also say that I like Roy Williams as a person. Good dude and he shares the same passion for golf that I do.

Last edited:

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
Yes sir. I left being an admin on that site a few years ago. More so to help on another DU site and focus on the national Rivals boards as an admin. I am currently not involved with either of those.

I liked that board back in the day when it was you and DukieJay running shit Always thought it was fairly moderated and good content. Then AFAM started and you had that one retard that was beyond stupid and I quit paying any attention to it.

denn

Legendary
Founder
I liked that board back in the day when it was you and DukieJay running shit Always thought it was fairly moderated and good content. Then AFAM started and you had that one retard that was beyond stupid and I quit paying any attention to it.
Just the one retard? You are being too kind if I am being honest. dukiejay is good people.

denn

Legendary
Founder
Dude never won at Kansas with top 5 recruiting classes every year. If we are being honest, he’s average. A child could recruit at Kansas and UNC. Mark Few would have 8-10 titles if he coached those places as long as Spinmaster Roy.
Do you think Roy Williams could win in the conference that Mark Few coaches in? Or is it more impressive when Roy Williams coaches in a big boy conference year in and year out with very high success rates?

Cat_Incognito

Elite
Founder
Dude never won at Kansas with top 5 recruiting classes every year. If we are being honest, he’s average. A child could recruit at Kansas and UNC. Mark Few would have 8-10 titles if he coached those places as long as Spinmaster Roy.
Considering UNC beat Gonzaga in the natty in 2017, I find this hard to believe. Also, Few has never won a natty and coaches in a glorified rec league. lol

With all that said, I don't like Roy Williams and I think he's fake af. The guy is a good coach though, and I like the style of ball UNC played under him.

Hopefully now Kentucky can eat into the all time series. I think UNC may be the only team that holds the edge on us H2H.

@UNC71-00 any thoughts on the potential replacement?

RJ2kWJ

Elite
Founder
Considering UNC beat Gonzaga in the natty in 2017, I find this hard to believe. Also, Few has never won a natty and coaches in a glorified rec league. lol

With all that said, I don't like Roy Williams and I think he's fake af. The guy is a good coach though, and I like the style of ball UNC played under him.

Hopefully now Kentucky can eat into the all time series. I think UNC may be the only team that holds the edge on us H2H.

Seems like a weird time to announce retirement. It’s like he’s taking away from the teams that made it to the FF. It’s all the damn announcers will be talking about now. Selfish IMO.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder

man, I’m hearing just about every name in the book. My guess is Wes Miller or Hubert Davis based on what my more reliable buddies are telling me, but I would not really be pleased with either of them. Maybe Miller in a few years would work out, but pass on Hubert

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
Seems like a weird time to announce retirement. It’s like he’s taking away from the teams that made it to the FF. It’s all the damn announcers will be talking about now. Selfish IMO.

It's exactly the reason to make the announcement now- get some free press with our new croots.

Long cat

Elite
He’s commonly referred to as Douchey McGee in my house. I also like Roll It Out There Roy.

I would say he has done a good job given program and brand he inherited. Crootn is part of the job so he gets credit for winning a lot of games with talent far superior to that of his opponents. Also helps when the referees are squarely in your corner for 95% of the games you play.

Hoosier in Mad Town

Founder
3 Titles. 9 Final 4's.

He's been pretty good.

He's 2nd tier with guys like Dean Smith, Pitino, etc.... Not quite in the Coach K, Knight, Wooden tier, but pretty darn good none the less.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
He’s commonly referred to as Douchey McGee in my house. I also like Roll It Out There Roy.

I would say he has done a good job given program and brand he inherited. Crootn is part of the job so he gets credit for winning a lot of games with talent far superior to that of his opponents. Also helps when the referees are squarely in your corner for 95% of the games you play.

you sound like a UK fan. Either that or State- same thing really.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
3 Titles. 9 Final 4's.

He's been pretty good.

He's 2nd tier with guys like Dean Smith, Pitino, etc.... Not quite in the Coach K, Knight, Wooden tier, but pretty darn good none the less.

anyone who thinks Bobby Knight was a better coach than Dean Smith needs his head examined.

Jayhacker

Legendary
Founder
32-30 the last 2 seasons

Dinkis14

Poster
Founder
Do you think Roy Williams could win in the conference that Mark Few coaches in? Or is it more impressive when Roy Williams coaches in a big boy conference year in and year out with very high success rates?
I think it’s more impressive what Mark Few has built, over someone that was handed two schools that a child could win at. Mark Few also doesn’t have the bag men then other two do

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
Knight was a far superior coach to Dean Smith.

Smith was a better recruiter, but he couldn’t carry water against Bob when it came to coaching.

that’s laughable. Dean would have won 95% of his games if he had coached in the Big10 in the 60s-70s-80s

even still- Knight won 70% of his games coaching in the Big10. Dean won 77% coaching in the ACC

take a lap.

Hoosier in Mad Town

Founder
that’s laughable. Dean would have won 95% of his games if he had coached in the Big10 in the 60s-70s-80s

even still- Knight won 70% of his games coaching in the Big10. Dean won 77% coaching in the ACC

take a lap.
The BIG won 7 titles from 60's-90's.

The ACC won 3.

You are showing your lack of history here with you answer. The BIG was clearly the superior conference top to bottom vs. the ACC while Bob and Dean coached. There is a reason Dean won 78% of his games. Most of the teams were garbage outside of NC St. & Duke during that timeframe.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
The BIG won 7 titles from 60's-90's.

The ACC won 3.

You are showing your lack of history here with you answer. The BIG was clearly the superior conference top to bottom vs. the ACC while Bob and Dean coached. There is a reason Dean won 78% of his games. Most of the teams were garbage outside of NC St. & Duke during that timeframe.

this is factually incorrect. From 1960-1999, the ACC won 6 titles and the big 10 won 6. What does that prove?

please list your 7 and 3.

just tell me one metric that shows Bobby Knight to be better than Dean Smith. Pick your favorite.

denn

Legendary
Founder
I think it’s more impressive what Mark Few has built, over someone that was handed two schools that a child could win at. Mark Few also doesn’t have the bag men then other two do
Difference of opinions I guess. I think it is great that Roy Williams was willing to take on a job that the expectations are so high. (two of them actually) National titles are not grown on trees and Roy has 3 of them. The problem with this conversation is, we will never know. Mark Few will not take a blue blood job, for whatever his reasons are. He seems very comfortable coaching in a much less talented conference. Which I understand. I just can't put him up there with the other legends who are willing to take on the biggest stage of the game, for the entire season.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
Difference of opinions I guess. I think it is great that Roy Williams was willing to take on a job that the expectations are so high. (two of them actually) National titles are not grown on trees and Roy has 3 of them. The problem with this conversation is, we will never know. Mark Few will not take a blue blood job, for whatever his reasons are. He seems very comfortable coaching in a much less talented conference. Which I understand. I just can't put him up there with the other legends who are willing to take on the biggest stage of the game, for the entire season.

That's right. Mark Few will be thought of more like that Mt. St. Mary's coach if Few stays at Gonzaga for his career

denn

Legendary
Founder
The top coaches, IMO, in my lifetime (45 years old);

Coach K
Roy Williams
Dean Smith
Bobby Knight
Jim Calhoun (vastly underrated coach as far as I am concerned))
Jim Boeheim
Jay Wright

Billy Donovan isn't that far off of this list either, if he even is. He had a great run going until he decided to go to the NBA.

Calipari and Tony Bennett are up there as well.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
The top coaches, IMO, in my lifetime (45 years old);

Coach K
Roy Williams
Dean Smith
Bobby Knight
Jim Calhoun (vastly underrated coach as far as I am concerned))
Jim Boeheim
Jay Wright

Billy Donovan isn't that far off of this list either, if he even is. He had a great run going until he decided to go to the NBA.

Calipari and Tony Bennett are up there as well.

Pitino?

denn

Legendary
Founder
Yeah, he deserves to be in their as well. I try to forget about him because of what he did to the Celtics. Took them back at leasat a decade with his front office lack of expertise. Terrific college coach

Top Bottom