Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Should all drugs be legal?

Should all drugs be legal?

• Yes

• No

• OP is a fag

Results are only viewable after voting.

Edgehollow

Elite
Founder
I'm ok with weed being legal, but some of the other drugs (meth, heroin, etc) I'm not sure about. But, in full disclosure, I've done nothing harder than weed in my 49+ years, so I am limited on my knowledge of the other drugs. I used to say if someone wants to snort Drano, they should have that right. But, I'm quickly learning that people aren't as bright as I assumed.

Sparty1045

Elite
Founder
I'm ok with weed being legal, but some of the other drugs (meth, heroin, etc) I'm not sure about. But, in full disclosure, I've done nothing harder than weed in my 49+ years, so I am limited on my knowledge of the other drugs. I used to say if someone wants to snort Drano, they should have that right. But, I'm quickly learning that people aren't as bright as I assumed.
It would lower crime rates. Less taxes spent on prisoners. People could offer drugs that aren’t laced. Stimulates the economy. If someone is looking to score meth then I think we should let them IMO.

TheGratefulReb

Neanderthal in Chief
Founder
I'm not sure about all of them being legal to possess, but the criminal penalties should be done away with. I think when you take away the whole "you can't have this" aspect from drugs, a lot of the allure for younger folks to experiment goes away. When you do fully legalize, I'd assume you're able to crush the black market considerably with regulation.

I just have a hard time imagining legal heroin or fentanyl being available. All that shit does is enslave people, destroy families, and kill.

Psychedelics are awesome, though.

Renegadenole

Poster
Founder
It would lower crime rates. Less taxes spent on prisoners. People could offer drugs that aren’t laced. Stimulates the economy. If someone is looking to score meth then I think we should let them IMO.
This. And the extra funds should be spent on addiction and abuse programs.

I don't believe it will turn us all into drug addicts. I wouldn't do fyntenal if you paid me. Others are willing to risk their lives for a taste. Being legal would not change this but It will make it safer and reduce crime.

Edgehollow

Elite
Founder

This. And the extra funds should be spent on addiction and abuse programs.

I don't believe it will turn us all into drug addicts. I wouldn't do fyntenal if you paid me. Others are willing to risk their lives for a taste. Being legal would not change this but It will make it safer and reduce crime.
I'm not sure about the "reduce crime" portion of this. Making the purchase/consumption of drugs legal would eliminate that part of the crime, but the methods people would use to pay for drugs is another matter.

I do know a former coworker used to say "Wal-mart won't take a car stereo for my drugs...but my drug dealer will". I'm not sure where you're purchasing your drugs would equate to people not stealing to purchase said drugs.

Long cat

Elite
I'm not sure about all of them being legal to possess, but the criminal penalties should be done away with. I think when you take away the whole "you can't have this" aspect from drugs, a lot of the allure for younger folks to experiment goes away. When you do fully legalize, I'd assume you're able to crush the black market considerably with regulation.

I just have a hard time imagining legal heroin or fentanyl being available. All that shit does is enslave people, destroy families, and kill.

Psychedelics are awesome, though.
There are already tons of legal opioids and more people have died from those than heroin over the past couple decades. Lately Fentanyl kills as many as both of those put together. I would think you could cut down on fentanyl deaths if heroin production was more regulated. I think fentanyl and heroin should be illegal and other synthetic opioids should be tightly controlled. They get people addicted and a lot of those people die.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/drug-topics/trends-statistics/overdose-death-rates

I saw an interview with Lemmy where he talked about all the people he’d known that died from drugs over the years. That guy did tons of drugs for 50 years and he said he had lots of friends die, but he never saw anybody die who wasn’t on heroin.

TheGratefulReb

Neanderthal in Chief
Founder
There are already tons of legal opioids and more people have died from those than heroin over the past couple decades. Lately Fentanyl kills as many as both of those put together. I would think you could cut down on fentanyl deaths if heroin production was more regulated. I think fentanyl and heroin should be illegal and other synthetic opioids should be tightly controlled. They get people addicted and a lot of those people die.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/drug-topics/trends-statistics/overdose-death-rates

I saw an interview with Lemmy where he talked about all the people he’d known that died from drugs over the years. That guy did tons of drugs for 50 years and he said he had lots of friends die, but he never saw anybody die who wasn’t on heroin.

Without looking at statistics, prescription opiods no doubt open the door to heroin abuse. No junkie ever wakes up one day to say "you know what, I want to be a full blown addict and push myself to the brink of death while destroying all relationships in my life".

Lost my big brother to that shit in 2014. Its a sad disease. No doubt, the oxy push of the 90's/00's laid the foundation for what we're experiencing as a country. The fentanyl made it so much worse, and there is no doubt in my mind that shit is being used as a weapon against our country.

Spaceweazle

Poster
Legalize drugs and the cartels are cut at the knees, reducing murder and the billions of dollars fighting them. We've been fighting this "war on drugs" for four decades and things have gotten worse. Just legalize it and be done with it.

I also think it is ridiculous that we legalize what is bad and good for people. Alcohol kills people and destroys lives, but that is legal. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on earth but cigarettes are legal. Why does the government get to regulate that other things are bad for you to have? If heroine is legal, I certainly won't do it and nor will almost everyone else who doesn't do it now.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Legalize drugs and the cartels are cut at the knees, reducing murder and the billions of dollars fighting them. We've been fighting this "war on drugs" for four decades and things have gotten worse. Just legalize it and be done with it.

I also think it is ridiculous that we legalize what is bad and good for people. Alcohol kills people and destroys lives, but that is legal. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on earth but cigarettes are legal. Why does the government get to regulate that other things are bad for you to have? If heroine is legal, I certainly won't do it and nor will almost everyone else who doesn't do it now.

Your point on nicotine and alcohol are correct. I would even say that sugar is more dangerous and more addictive than marijuana, if you aren't smoking it. Our laws prohibiting the use of some substances but not others are nearly as nonsensical as our gun laws.

Renegadenole

Poster
Founder
I'm not sure about the "reduce crime" portion of this. Making the purchase/consumption of drugs legal would eliminate that part of the crime, but the methods people would use to pay for drugs is another matter.

I do know a former coworker used to say "Wal-mart won't take a car stereo for my drugs...but my drug dealer will". I'm not sure where you're purchasing your drugs would equate to people not stealing to purchase said drugs.
It will cut out the gang and related crimes. Having an above the board dealer will also eliminate any related crimes used to purchase. I'm sure the government will help those that need to get their fix but would otherwise have to steal for it.

4n6tox

Poster
It would truly be a great experiment. I'm not sure the answer, but I lean towards full decriminalization vs legality. For all the posters here who wouldn't care that heroin or meth is legal and would have no interest to try it there are probably 3 just like you on the other side that certainly would lose control as American culture is depraved.

I like the idea of letting people do what they will with there lives, and if they become addicts and overdose they overdose. That is easy for me to say though as long as it isn't my son on the autopsy table though. Additionally, I can only imagine the social programs creep that would have to occur to absorb the impact on society of full legalization in a country this size. Previous poster cited Portugal as an example that it works. I don't know anything about Portuguese culture, but they only have 10 million people and a small geographic footprint and wouldn't be a great comparator to US.

Tough problem to solve as the current approach isn't working very well.

yankmenoodle

Elite
When I buy Allegra D, I have to give my drivers license, so I can't buy again for a month, so meth-heads can't get the supply's they need. Idiocy. Let the meth-heads buy all they want, make Allegra more money. They will drink themselves to death if they can't get what they want.

imprimis

Legendary
Founder

Carlscat

Elite
Founder
Honestly not sure but I do know most petty theft around where I’m at is due to druggies stealing shit to get cash for drugs. It’s a big pain in the ass and until we set up a system to legitimately help people get clean, jobs or into mental facilities, I don’t necessarily want drugged out zombies that have lost their careers and families stealing my shit for their fix and it be legal.

Nas

Poster
Is weed still illegal in your areas? It's illegal in Ohio, but I dont know of any areas that prosecute for it. In my area you have to reach 3rd degree felony weight of most narcotics before you go to jail. 3rd degree is not a recreational amount and you go to local jail where you bond out and then get a light sentence at court. You don't go to prison.

I fully believe drugs are not a victimless crime. People commit acts of violence and steal to feed their addictions. Putting a needle in your arm is pretty much a death sentence. Creating situations like in LA where the homeless and crime rates are out of control on top of creating a population of people dependent on others caring for them.

Nas

Poster
Look at what this psycho did on a meth bender. He was out on bond a few days later and locked up for domestic violence

Top Bottom