Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Serious - U.S. Energy Production Discussion/Poll

Which Energy Source Do You Think the US should focus on Improving/Investing In In the Next Decade

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

poke2001

Poster
Founder
First off, I don’t think the US government should invest in any form of energy. They will get it wrong. The market needs to drive the transition. I voted for fossil fuels because Natural Gas should be increased to offset coal/oil where it can.

Wind and solar are terrific theories but are not cost effective without massive subsidies. They also don’t do well 24 hours per day.

First off, I don’t think the US government should invest in any form of energy. They will get it wrong. The market needs to drive the transition. I voted for fossil fuels because Natural Gas should be increased to offset coal/oil where it can.

Wind and solar are terrific theories but are not cost effective without massive subsidies. They also don’t do well 24 hours per day.
Good Points. I went ahead and added Natural Gas as an option. You can pick multiple choices in the poll. So are you of the opinion that all energy should be private company controlled vs government ran?

And yeah Wind/Solar are not as useful without massive energy storage systems.

poke2001

Poster
Founder
Good Points. I went ahead and added Natural Gas as an option. You can pick multiple choices in the poll. So are you of the opinion that all energy should be private company controlled vs government ran?

And yeah Wind/Solar are not as useful without massive energy storage systems.
I think the private sector should be allowed to innovate. When government steps in to direct, innovation is forced down a path that isn’t necessarily the best. Government plays a role because there is some public good but they need to back off (but won’t).

Solar wind are highly unreliable. Ask TX.

Natural gas and fossil fuels until cold fission is allowed to be released to the public.

Nothing can put the Jeannie back in the bottle. Fossil fuel is still the future
Didn't even think about cold fission or fission in general. Not sure how mature that technology is at the moment. There definitely needs to be a balance of all energy sources in the meantime until it is obvious which one is superior.

I think the private sector should be allowed to innovate. When government steps in to direct, innovation is forced down a path that isn’t necessarily the best. Government plays a role because there is some public good but they need to back off (but won’t).
True. So for a given city/county do you think there needs to be a sole energy provider for that area (local monopoly)? Or should it be allowed to be a true free market kind of like how internet works now?

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Didn't even think about cold fission or fission in general. Not sure how mature that technology is at the moment. There definitely needs to be a balance of all energy sources in the meantime until it is obvious which one is superior.
There is tech out there that the military industrial complex wont let anyone see.
An old guy when I was about 16 told me he had discovered a way to run combustible engines on H2O. The military came by his house gave him a million dollars in the 60s and took it all and swore him to secrecy.
Not an isolated incident

There is tech out there that the military industrial complex wont let anyone see.
An old guy when I was about 16 told me he had discovered a way to run combustible engines on H2O. The military came by his house gave him a million dollars in the 60s and took it all and swore him to secrecy.
Not an isolated incident
I'm not surprised. Hopefully tech like that will come into the light eventually whether it be a government leak or somebody oversees makes the same discovery.

Cre8ive

Shaping the Future of Reality
Founder
Does wind energy mean harnessing the indisputable power of lighting farts? @Monica_L_DidNothingWrong

Girl Lifts Skirt To Light Fart On Fire; Ends Up Sh*tting All Over The Floor  Instead (VIDEO) – Sick Chirpse

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder

Just like electric vehicles killed hydrogen fuel cell development. Hfc would of been the long term solution people were looking for. We could of made Hydrogen in solar rich areas and basically used it as the battery for an ev. Now we are still using carbon to recharge lithium batteries that end up not being net 0 co2 until around 60,000 miles.... and that doesn't even count the environmental harm in mining lithium... which is worse than coal in most places.

poke2001

Poster
Founder
Just like electric vehicles killed hydrogen fuel cell development. Hfc would of been the long term solution people were looking for. We could of made Hydrogen in solar rich areas and basically used it as the battery for an ev. Now we are still using carbon to recharge lithium batteries that end up not being net 0 co2 until around 60,000 miles.... and that doesn't even count the environmental harm in mining lithium... which is worse than coal in most places.
It’s about the feels though, not about solving make believe problems.

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder
Seems pretty obvious nat gas & Petro are far superior tho.

Good points. Well at least with stuff that runs of electricity, it is easy to switch out the energy generation tech. I'm hoping that the further develop battery tech to no longer use Lithium ion

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder

BigBucnNole

Elite
Solar Energy. Government should absolutely invest in orbital solar production. It’ll spark a new era of humanity with zero marginal cost of energy.

Solar Energy. Government should absolutely invest in orbital solar production. It’ll spark a new era of humanity with zero marginal cost of energy.
Yeah very good point. Maybe in a few thousand years we can get the Government to invest in a dysan sphere if we haven't blown up ourselves already.

Attachments

• 1620063705467.png
    1620063705467.png
    614.3 KB · Views: 2

Zgdaf

Elite
Founder
I don't think renewable s alone will do it. It is going to have to be some combination. We need diverse energy supplies, there will be plenty of demand to meet all that we can supply. Plenty of room for multiple energy sources.

If done properly Nuclear is a very good option. There has been to many main stream nay sayers when it comes to nuclear

Agree with these sediments, but it’s what happens when the government gets involved with anything... the reality is what’s happened over the past 11 years. I am guessing this is why other electric utilities haven’t started building reactors.

Agree with these sediments, but it’s what happens when the government gets involved with anything... the reality is what’s happened over the past 11 years. I am guessing this is why other electric utilities haven’t started building reactors.
Good Point. one of the problems with Nuclear is the huge upfront initial costs of building the reactors. Part of the reason why it's mainly been a government only sector

Cost, supply, ease of access, reliability, ect.
The cost with most things in the tech/energy industry is usually a factor of R&D money & time investment. The more a technology is researched, tested, and funded the cheaper it typically becomes. The cost of Solar for example has come down tremendously over the years. Same reason why a phone/computer nowadays is affordable by your average consumer while it was a foreign concept 80 years ago

Zgdaf

Elite
Founder
Good Point. one of the problems with Nuclear is the huge upfront initial costs of building the reactors. Part of the reason why it's mainly been a government only sector
Here are some other nuclear power options, but fell apart.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Solar wind are highly unreliable. Ask TX.

Natural gas and fossil fuels until cold fission is allowed to be released to the public.

Nothing can put the Jeannie back in the bottle. Fossil fuel is still the future
It is a similar argument to getting rid of steel used by weirdO$

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Sceg tried w Santee Cooper to build a couple reactors in Cross Area of SC. Went to shit.
They lost 2 billion they had already started charging users for.

Top Bottom