Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

S.C. Gwynne and Rick Atkinson books

BigBucnNole

Elite
These are two of the best authors I've come across that do well researched history books, but deliver in such a way it's digestible. Gwynne had the Commanche book, but his books on Stonewall Jackson and the final year of the Civil War. Id say his final year of the war book, Hymns of the Republic is the better of the two.

Rick Atkinson is writing a great trilogy on the Revolution. He has a series on WW2 out now. I'm reading his book on the Gulf War currently. The details going into the Gulf War about how worried the US government was before fighting Iraq is pretty interesting. They were assuming best case scenario for the war would be like the Germans fighting the Poles in WW2, and that war still had nearly 60k casualties on the German side.

Anyway, good books. Check them out if you get a chance.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
I’ve never got much into reading history. I’ve read the OG Herodotus, but that’s about it. Always planned on diggin in more at some point

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
I did read a book by Mark Booth called Secret History of the World. That was really interesting, but not your typical history book

BigBucnNole

Elite
I’ve never got much into reading history. I’ve read the OG Herodotus, but that’s about it. Always planned on diggin in more at some point

Hymns of the Republic almost make you feel the combat. Especially when he describes the battles of the Wilderness and the fires consuming the wounded. Washington DC was a shit hole during the war too.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Hymns of the Republic almost make you feel the combat. Especially when he describes the battles of the Wilderness and the fires consuming the wounded. Washington DC was a shit hole during the war too.
Thanks for the rec, I’ll look into it. Love finding cheap used copies on abebooks

Top Bottom