Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Random thoughts on society

CBradSmith

Elite
Founder
Unemployment vs. Choosing to be Without a Job

Main question: How many people that WANT to work at any given time CAN find a job, IF they are willing to accept it (then build toward a more desirable job)?
  • I've long believed that creating an environment that allows the economy to get as close to 0% unemployment as possible should be job 1B of the Federal government with protecting Americans being 1A.
  • How did Trump get the number so low? His deregs were undoubtedly a positive, but did he (the power of the Federal government) just goose the normal market progress maybe a percentage point versus what a Hillary would have done?
  • What % is normal employment market churn? (Let's say 3% - meaning you'll never really get below 3% due to normal market turnover).
  • What % is people NOT taking a job (even though they could obtain one by the end of the week) because they want a different job than what is available?
I'm softening on immigration as a source of labor. 100% strict validation of those that come and go, as well as tight border security, are obvious no-brainers to me. My concern (ire) has shifted to what seems like a chronic problem with the expectations of many within society and what they expect out of "work," or more simply, those that choose not to work.

I guess if people have the luxury of being a lazy ass (most do), then who am I to tell them they can't be? What I *can* take issue with is persistent bitching about reality not aligning with their desires. Is that measurable? Can the broader population be inoculated from that cancerous subset?

TLDR: I've softened on immigration as a source of labor due to a chronic illness within current society that simply chooses not to work (because they have stupid expectations or no work ethic). How do we treat the illness?

pleaseclap

Poster
Founder
The only cure is hardship, unfortunately. Firmly believe in the “Hard times make hard men. Hard men make good times. Good times make soft men.” cycle. Sucks. But it’s human nature. Not even human nature really. It’s just nature in general. There’s a reason you can’t let feral animals back into the wild after a significant amount of time in captivity.

BigBucnNole

Elite

Main question: How many people that WANT to work at any given time CAN find a job, IF they are willing to accept it (then build toward a more desirable job)?
  • I've long believed that creating an environment that allows the economy to get as close to 0% unemployment as possible should be job 1B of the Federal government with protecting Americans being 1A.
  • How did Trump get the number so low? His deregs were undoubtedly a positive, but did he (the power of the Federal government) just goose the normal market progress maybe a percentage point versus what a Hillary would have done?
  • What % is normal employment market churn? (Let's say 3% - meaning you'll never really get below 3% due to normal market turnover).
  • What % is people NOT taking a job (even though they could obtain one by the end of the week) because they want a different job than what is available?
I'm softening on immigration as a source of labor. 100% strict validation of those that come and go, as well as tight border security, are obvious no-brainers to me. My concern (ire) has shifted to what seems like a chronic problem with the expectations of many within society and what they expect out of "work," or more simply, those that choose not to work.

I guess if people have the luxury of being a lazy ass (most do), then who am I to tell them they can't be? What I *can* take issue with is persistent bitching about reality not aligning with their desires. Is that measurable? Can the broader population be inoculated from that cancerous subset?

TLDR: I've softened on immigration as a source of labor due to a chronic illness within current society that simply chooses not to work (because they have stupid expectations or no work ethic). How do we treat the illness?

Yore talking about full employment. It's typically anywhere from 3% to 5% for an economy at full steam.

What would be nice would be to have a migrant worker program where farm labor, not that we need that but mass unskilled labor companies, could round up a bunch of third worlders, ship them in and temp work them. Pay them whatever the wage is in the other country plus a dollar or two, house them and feed them here, then send them home and pay them for their services at foreign rates.

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder

Quite simply make 45 ---> 47 then follow with Ivanka. Coupled with ending immigration people will want to work more because wages will rise.

Top Bottom