Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Prayer/Devotional Thread ✝️

TheGratefulReb

Neanderthal in Chief
Founder
So its been a while since I've actually picked up the Bible and read it. Frankly, this past year has pulled me back towards the Word of God after just kinda being a "freelance" Christian for so long......so I downloaded one of those Bible apps on my phone to check it in the morning first thing, and then before I go to sleep. It has helped me, and maybe it will help you. Will periodically bump the thread with messages that seem to be just what I needed in the moment

20210415_233206.jpg1618543934403.png20210415_233104.jpg20210415_233222.jpg

Old Glory

Legendary
Founder
Just started reading the bible (albeit slowly) and some devotionals at 32 for the first time ever. Family never went to church or read or talked about scripture. I think they believe, it just wasn't something that was ever part of the dinner table conversation.

I explained to my good buddy who is very strong in his faith that right before COVID hit it was like a small flame lit inside me with a connecting thought of "I wonder about God" and that was it for a long time. The flame stayed lit and the thoughts remained but I never moved on them. I was listening to the Red Pill guys one day and they said something along the lines of "God works through us, and the power of God is inside each of us" and that poured gasoline on that flame and woke me up so to speak. It was like, OK this is how it works, God is not some force that is going to do something for me, he has given me His strength in me and I need to do something to figure this out. I don't know much yet but each time I read the Bible or my devos that I get excited and it makes me feel good. I also have the Bible app and it's daily verses have always connected to something going on in my life at that time.

Hoosier in Mad Town

Founder
Just started reading the bible (albeit slowly) and some devotionals at 32 for the first time ever. Family never went to church or read or talked about scripture. I think they believe, it just wasn't something that was ever part of the dinner table conversation.

I explained to my good buddy who is very strong in his faith that right before COVID hit it was like a small flame lit inside me with a connecting thought of "I wonder about God" and that was it for a long time. The flame stayed lit and the thoughts remained but I never moved on them. I was listening to the Red Pill guys one day and they said something along the lines of "God works through us, and the power of God is inside each of us" and that poured gasoline on that flame and woke me up so to speak. It was like, OK this is how it works, God is not some force that is going to do something for me, he has given me His strength in me and I need to do something to figure this out. I don't know much yet but each time I read the Bible or my devos that I get excited and it makes me feel good. I also have the Bible app and it's daily verses have always connected to something going on in my life at that time.
I'd recommend starting in John. He was the eye witness to who exactly is Jesus Christ.

I'd also get recommend getting with someone who can help disciple you. That is the Holy Spirit working on you. It's not your gut. It's God calling you closer to him.

I'd be happy to be the person helping disciple & answer questions. Feel free to hit me up on DM

Old Glory

Legendary
Founder
I'd recommend starting in John. He was the eye witness to who exactly is Jesus Christ.

I'd also get recommend getting with someone who can help disciple you. That is the Holy Spirit working on you. It's not your gut. It's God calling you closer to him.

I'd be happy to be the person helping disciple & answer questions. Feel free to hit me up on DM
Appreciate the info and the offer. I actually work with a guy who has a religious studies degree who I've asked tons of questions to. He's been awesome in helping guide me rather than just give answers.

Tell_Sackett

Poster
Psalms 92
My Refuge and My Fortress

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the LORD, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler. You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness, nor the destruction that wastes at noonday. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you. You will only look with your eyes and see the recompense of the wicked. Because you have made the LORD your dwelling place— the Most High, who is my refuge— no evil shall be allowed to befall you, no plague come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways. On their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone. You will tread on the lion and the adder; the young lion and the serpent you will trample underfoot. “Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name. When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.”

Hoosier in Mad Town

Founder
4 "Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, to all the exiles whom I have sent into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon:
5 Build houses and live in them; plant gardens and eat their produce.
6 Take wives and have sons and daughters; take wives for your sons, and give your daughters in marriage, that they may bear sons and daughters; multiply there, and do not decrease.
7 But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the LORD on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare. https://esv.org/Jer29.4-7

The context here is God had just sent people back to Jerusalem to rebuild the city. He was writing to a remaining majority in Babylon to stay and invest in their community.

everyone is right where you are right this moment because God wants you there.

BLatta12

Administrator
Administrator
1618922134234.png

Our Daily Bread 4/20/21 - Jesus’ Promise to You​

The Bible in One Year: 2 Samuel 9–11; Luke 15:11–32

Today's Bible Reading: John 14:15–21, 25–27

He will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever. John 14:16

Jason wailed as his parents handed him over to Amy. It was the two-year-old’s first time in the nursery while Mom and Dad attended the service—and he was not happy. Amy assured them he’d be fine. She tried to soothe him with toys and books, by rocking in a chair, walking around, standing still, and talking about what fun he could have. But everything was met with bigger tears and louder cries. Then she whispered five simple words in his ear: “I will stay with you.” Peace and comfort quickly came.

Jesus offered His friends similar words of comfort during the week of His crucifixion: “The Father . . . will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever—the Spirit of truth” (John 14:16–17). After His resurrection He gave them this promise: “Surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age” (Matthew 28:20). Jesus was soon to ascend to heaven, but He would send the Spirit to “stay” and live within His people.

We experience the Spirit’s comfort and peace when our tears flow. We receive His guidance when we’re wondering what to do (John 14:26). He opens our eyes to understand more of God (Ephesians 1:17–20), and He helps us in our weakness and prays for us (Romans 8:26–27).

He stays with us forever.

—ANNE CETAS

BLatta12

Administrator
Administrator
1619009207539.png

Our Daily Bread 4/21/21 - Difficult People​

The Bible in One Year: 2 Samuel 12–13; Luke 16⁣

Today's Bible Reading: Proverbs 15:1–7, 18⁣

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Proverbs 15:1⁣

Lucy Worsley is a British historian and TV presenter. Like most people in the public eye, she sometimes receives nasty mail—in her case, over a mild speech impediment that makes her r’s sound like w’s. One person wrote this: “Lucy, I’ll be blunt: Please try harder to correct your lazy speech or remove r’s from your scripts—I couldn’t sit through your TV series because it made me so annoyed. Regards, Darren.”⁣

For some people, an insensitive comment like this might trigger an equally rude reply. But here’s how Lucy responded: “Oh Darren, I think you’ve used the anonymity of the internet to say something you probably wouldn’t say to my face. Please reconsider your unkind words! Lucy.”⁣

Lucy’s measured response worked. Darren apologized and vowed not to send anyone such an email again.⁣

“A gentle answer turns away wrath,” Proverbs says, “but a harsh word stirs up anger” (15:1). While the hot-tempered person stirs things up, the patient person calms them down (v. 18). When we get a critical comment from a colleague, a snide remark from a family member, or a nasty reply from a stranger, we have a choice: to speak angry words that fuel the flames or gentle words that douse them.⁣

May God help us to speak words that turn away wrath—and perhaps even help difficult people to change.⁣

—SHERIDAN VOYSEY⁣

BLatta12

Administrator
Administrator
1619106002424.png

Our Daily Bread 4/22/21 - The God of All Comfort⁣​

The Bible in One Year: 2 Samuel 14–15; Luke 17:1–19⁣

Today's Bible Reading: 2 Corinthians 1:3–7⁣

[God] comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble. 2 Corinthians 1:4⁣

Radamenes was just a kitten when his owner dropped him off at an animal shelter, thinking he was too ill to recover. The kitten was nursed back to health and adopted by the vet. He then became a fulltime resident at the shelter and now spends his days “comforting” cats and dogs—just out of surgery or recovering from an illness—through his warm presence and gentle purr.⁣

That story is a small picture of what our loving God does for us—and what we can do for others in return. He cares for us in our sickness and struggles, and He soothes us with His presence. The apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians calls our God, “the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort” (1:3). When we are discouraged, depressed, or mistreated, He’s there for us. When we turn to Him in prayer, He “comforts us in all our troubles” (v. 4).⁣

But verse 4 doesn’t end there. Paul, who had experienced intense suffering, continues, “so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.” Our Father comforts us, and when we’ve experienced His comfort, we’re enabled to comfort others.⁣

Our compassionate Savior, who suffered for us, is more than able to comfort us in our suffering and distress (v. 5). He helps us through our pain and equips us to do the same for others. ⁣

—ALYSON KIEDA⁣

CBradSmith

Elite
Founder
Found this morning's Devotional timely.

Risking True Peace​

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God" (Matt. 5:9).
True peace exists only where truth reigns.

People often define peace as the absence of conflict, but God sees it differently. The absence of conflict is merely a truce, which might end overt hostilities but doesn't resolve the underlying issues. A truce simply introduces a cold war, which often drives the conflict underground, where it smolders until erupting in physical or emotional disaster.

James 3:17 says, "The wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable." Godly wisdom, purity, and peace go hand- in-hand. Peace is wisdom in action and is never established at the expense of righteousness. It brings righteousness to bear on the situation, seeking to eliminate the source of conflict and create right relationships. Feuding parties will know true peace only when they are willing to admit that their bitterness and hatred is wrong and humbly seek God's grace to make things right.

Some people equate peacemaking with evading issues, but true peace can be very confrontive. In Matthew 10:34 Jesus says, "Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." That may seem to contradict Matthew 5:9, but it doesn't: Jesus knew that sinful people have to be confronted with the truth before they can experience peace. That can be a painful and difficult process because people usually have a hostile reaction to the gospel before they finally embrace it. Even believers will sometimes react negatively when confronted with God's truth.

Being a biblical peacemaker has its price. You can expect to upset unbelievers who openly oppose God's Word as well as believers who compromise its truth for the sake of maintaining "peace" among people of differing doctrinal persuasions. Some will call you narrow-minded and divisive for dealing with controversial issues. Some will misunderstand your motives or even attack you personally. But that's been the path of every true peacemaker— including our Lord Himself. Take heart and be faithful. Your efforts to bring peace show that you are a child of God.

BLatta12

Administrator
Administrator
1619185408399.png

Our Daily Bread 4/23/21 - Seeing with New Eyes⁣​

The Bible in One Year: 2 Samuel 16–18; Luke 17:20–37⁣

Today's Bible Reading: Philippians 2:1–5⁣

[Don’t look] to your own interests but each of you to the interests of . . . others. Philippians 2:4⁣

A video game, one that’s become a cultural phenomenon, places a hundred players on a virtual island to compete until one player remains. Whenever a player eliminates you from the contest, you can continue to watch through that player’s vantage point. As one journalist notes, “When you step into another player’s shoes and inhabit their point of view, the emotional register . . . shifts from self-preservation to . . . communal solidarity. . . . You begin to feel invested in the stranger who, not too long ago, did you in.”⁣

Transformation happens whenever we open ourselves to see another’s experience, looking beyond our own vision and encountering another’s pain, fear, or hopes. When we follow Jesus’ example and “do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit” and instead “in humility value others above [our]selves,” then we notice things we would have missed otherwise (Philippians 2:3). Our concerns broaden. We ask different questions. Rather than being preoccupied with only our own needs or angst, we become invested in others’ well-being. Rather than looking to “[our] own interests,” we become committed “to the interests of . . . others” (v. 4). Rather than protecting what we assume we need to thrive, we joyfully pursue whatever helps others flourish.⁣

With this transformed vision, we gain compassion for others. We discover new ways to love our family. We may even make a friend out of an enemy!⁣

—WINN COLLIER⁣

BLatta12

Administrator
Administrator
1619265081631.png

Our Daily Bread 4/24/21 - Better with God⁣⁣​

⁣The Bible in One Year: 2 Samuel 19–20; Luke 18:1–23⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Today's Bible Reading: Daniel 1:11–16; 2:19–20⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Wisdom and power are his. Daniel 2:20⁣⁣
⁣⁣
On her college volleyball team, my granddaughter learned a winning principle. When the ball came her way, no matter what, she could “better the ball.” She could make a play that left her teammates in a better situation—without throwing tantrums, blaming, or making excuses. Always make the situation better.⁣⁣
⁣⁣
That was Daniel’s response when he and three Hebrew friends were taken into captivity by Babylon’s king Nebuchadnezzar. Although they were given pagan names and ordered to take three years of “training” in the enemy’s palace, Daniel didn’t rage. Instead, he asked permission not to defile himself in God’s sight by eating the king’s rich food and wine. As this intriguing Bible story shows, after consuming nothing but vegetables and water for ten days (Daniel 1:12), Daniel and his friends “looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food” (v. 15).⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Another time, Nebuchadnezzar threatened to kill Daniel and all palace wise men if they couldn’t repeat the king’s disturbing dream and interpret it. Again, Daniel didn’t panic, but sought mercy “from the God of heaven,” and the mystery was revealed to him in a vision (2:19). As Daniel declared of God, “wisdom and power are his” (v. 20). Throughout his captivity, Daniel sought God’s best despite the conflicts he faced. In our own troubles, may we follow that example, making the situation better by taking it to God.⁣⁣
⁣⁣
—PATRICIA RAYBON⁣⁣

Attachments

• 1619264608558.png
    1619264608558.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

flyerjeff

Poster
Founder
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

To me that is a great reminder when I lose focus that I don’t need item X or Y. I don’t need a special certification from a school. I just need Jesus and only Jesus

Top Bottom