Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Possible rail shutdown in the next 90 days

Jakethedog

Legendary
Founder
https://www.railwayage.com/regulatory/nmb-starts-clock-toward-rail-shutdown/

The National Mediation Board (NMB) on June 14 set in motion a ticking time bomb toward an economy-jolting national railroad shutdown within 90 days, its two Democratic members agreeing with rail labor—and over the remonstrance of carriers and the NMB’s lone Republican—that a voluntary agreement to amend unionized rail worker wages, benefits and work rules is not within reach.

TJHall1

Legendary
that70s-show-kitty.gif

Here come some more price hikes.

Jakethedog

Legendary
Founder
He will sign it. He knows he is fighting for his political life right now.

That being said pay the workers more. Those dudes work hard and deserve it.

PSR has brought about record profits along with other records like, record layoffs, record price hikes on customers, record delays, record stock buybacks.

Surface Transportation Board has been in the Class 1 railroads ass and rightfully so. It's all a big venture capital scheme ran by the hedgefunds at this point and they can't lose. Rail is too big to fail and they know the government will bail them out.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
He will sign it. He knows he is fighting for his political life right now.

That being said pay the workers more. Those dudes work hard and deserve it.
Pay everyone more! Who doesn't work hard and deserve it? Why do they deserve it more than anyone else?

Paying everyone more is directly leading to this inflation. One day we will figure it out.

Pay everyone more! Who doesn't work hard and deserve it? Why do they deserve it more than anyone else?

Paying everyone more is directly leading to this inflation. One day we will figure it out.
There are lots of people who don’t work hard or deserve it.

I couldn’t care less if hard working people want paid more. That’s capitalism in action. It’s especially true for those guys since they are doing hard work that most other people couldn’t do even if they wanted to.

They don’t want to either.

Inflation is always going to happen no matter what we do. Some decisions should be made with inflation as the primary concern. Other decisions, like paying essential workers, shouldn’t consider inflation at all. We NEED those people and MORE of them. Open the check book and make it happen.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
There are lots of people who don’t work hard or deserve it.

I couldn’t care less if hard working people want paid more. That’s capitalism in action. It’s especially true for those guys since they are doing hard work that most other people couldn’t do even if they wanted to.

They don’t want to either.

Inflation is always going to happen no matter what we do. Some decisions should be made with inflation as the primary concern. Other decisions, like paying essential workers, shouldn’t consider inflation at all. We NEED those people and MORE of them. Open the check book and make it happen.

No inflation will not always happen no matter what we do. Look at 2010 ish. The Feds stated inflation target is 2%. If they moved that target lower they can hit it.

Shouldn't consider inflation at all? Thats one of the most irrational statements i have heard. Lets just go weimar republic and pay everyone a million dollars.

You are just trolling.

Have you posted any evidence of your military service yet? Until you do i will assume you are at troll. You surely have one little iota piece of evidence that you served.

Jakethedog

Legendary
Founder

If that's the case I guess I should just go in and work for minimum wage. Hell, why stop there, I'll go in and just work for free.

https://labornotes.org/2022/02/rail...lFL05Qz_n6O1tel_iR-3BZKYL2fqOgpMwPQC1EyKau6j8

I don't mind Blackrock and Vanguard taking in all this money at all. Surely this has nothing to do with inflation

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/po...g-supply-chain-crisis-watchdog-alle-rcna18885

Last edited:

Jakethedog

Legendary
Founder
With this inflation they’d be crazy to accept that

Last time it went this far. While I don't believe they'll accept the original carrier proposal I have zero doubts it will be very carrier friendly.

Unfortunately the unions, after taking the donkey dick for the second time, will still be encouraging votes for Democrats.

In 1991, a rail union—in a non-election year—played its political card before a Democratic-controlled Congress and lost badly. The late Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.), traditionally a staunch labor ally, voted with the majority against labor’s interests, calling his vote “good for business, good for the economy and good for the nation.” In the House, all Democrats on the House Railroad Subcommittee voted against labor interests, with the carrier-favorable bill passing on the House floor, 400-5. One rail labor leader called the result “disastrous.” There has not been a national rail shutdown, flowing from failed wage, benefits and work rules negotiations, since

AmericanViking

Legendary
Founder
Last time it went this far. While I don't believe they'll accept the original carrier proposal I have zero doubts it will be very carrier friendly.

Unfortunately the unions, after taking the donkey dick for the second time, will still be encouraging votes for Democrats.

In 1991, a rail union—in a non-election year—played its political card before a Democratic-controlled Congress and lost badly. The late Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.), traditionally a staunch labor ally, voted with the majority against labor’s interests, calling his vote “good for business, good for the economy and good for the nation.” In the House, all Democrats on the House Railroad Subcommittee voted against labor interests, with the carrier-favorable bill passing on the House floor, 400-5. One rail labor leader called the result “disastrous.” There has not been a national rail shutdown, flowing from failed wage, benefits and work rules negotiations, since

I think unions are an outdated entity that have passed their usefulness and now are nothing but a corrupt money laundering scheme for Democrat coffers.

Jakethedog

Legendary
Founder
I think unions are an outdated entity that have passed their usefulness and now are nothing but a corrupt money laundering scheme for Democrat coffers.

I agree for most unions but this industry has an entire term for their history of fucking everyone.

Screenshot_20220615-143155_Chrome.jpg

I just wish we had more options for our unions. Being forced into a single one makes these unions lazy and easily corruptible

No inflation will not always happen no matter what we do. Look at 2010 ish. The Feds stated inflation target is 2%. If they moved that target lower they can hit it.

Shouldn't consider inflation at all? Thats one of the most irrational statements i have heard. Lets just go weimar republic and pay everyone a million dollars.

You are just trolling.

Have you posted any evidence of your military service yet? Until you do i will assume you are at troll. You surely have one little iota piece of evidence that you served.
You should be paid less then. It would help with inflation. We should also defund the military. That would help with inflation too. No doubt we should defund the police since that will bring down inflation. We should cap out doctors earnings too to stop inflation.

Yes inflation is always happening. It’s why The Fed has a 2% benchmark. 2010ish was no exception.

Here is the inflation rate since 1929.

So simply put yes some decisions are made without regard for inflation. I won’t club you to death with more examples or history because it’s pretty clear you didn’t really think through what you were typing.

Jakethedog

Legendary
Founder
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/big-business-calls-on-biden-to-avert-rail-strike

I urge you to help resolve the ongoing labor negotiations … by following historic precedent and appointing a Presidential Emergency Board (PEB) comprised of individuals who are impartial, belong to the National Academy of Arbitrators, and have direct experience in resolving rail disputes,” Clark wrote. “It is imperative that the Administration act to prevent any disruption to America’s rail service.”

The letter was copied to Secretary of Labor Marty Walsh and Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg.

The railroads and their unions have been embroiled in disagreements over a contract since January 2020, with wages and health care benefits being major sticking points. The NMB, an independent federal agency that mediates labor agreements for the railway and airline industries, stepped in earlier this year to mediate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom