Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pancreatic Cancer

9Mounties07

Elite
TFSF experts. Man alive, I hate seeing my Dad Continue to lose weight. Happy as hell that he's still alive after being diagnosed 7+ years ago, but it seems like the Doctors are stumped on how to get weight on the man. I believe he'd live to 100 if we could just get that component figured out. Anyone have any advice? He eats like a freaking horse, but cant retain any of the nutrients..pretty much goes straight through. TLDR

wwhetst

Lurker
TFSF experts. Man alive, I hate seeing my Dad Continue to lose weight. Happy as hell that he's still alive after being diagnosed 7+ years ago, but it seems like the Doctors are stumped on how to get weight on the man. I believe he'd live to 100 if we could just get that component figured out. Anyone have any advice? He eats like a freaking horse, but cant retain any of the nutrients..pretty much goes straight through. TLDR
Is he taking the Creon? It’s an enzyme that aids digestion.

My father had the same problem after his Whipple almost 2 years ago. He is NED now, but he struggled to add weight. He took Creon during chemo and radiation, but stopped after the Whipple. In two months, he has gone from 170 to 190.

wwhetst

Lurker

What is CREON?​

CREON (pancrelipase) is a prescription medicine used to treat people who cannot digest food normally because their pancreas does not release enough enzymes. This condition is called EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency) and may be due to cystic fibrosis, chronic pancreatitis (swelling of the pancreas that lasts a long time), pancreatectomy (removal of some or all of the pancreas), or other conditions. Taken as prescribed, CREON replaces enzymes that your pancreas isn’t releasing, helping you digest fats, proteins, and carbohydrates (sugars) in food.

9Mounties07

Elite
Is he taking the Creon? It’s an enzyme that aids digestion.

My father had the same problem after his Whipple almost 2 years ago. He is NED now, but he struggled to add weight. He took Creon during chemo and radiation, but stopped after the Whipple. In two months, he has gone from 170 to 190.
Yes, he is 100% on the CREON. Where did your Dad have his Whipple? Was it the doctors direction to stop the creon after chemo and radiation? What is NED? I'm happy for you dude....very happy to hear about your Dad as well.

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
I don't know if this helps or not. A couple of years ago I lost about 70 pounds due to a GI issue. On a pre-op physical I was so dehydrated that my electrolytes were almost zero. I started drinking Pedialyte. A week later they were back to normal although the GI issue remained for another 2 months. I also improved my hydration by drinking lots more water than I normally did.

9Mounties07

Elite
I don't know if this helps or not. A couple of years ago I lost about 70 pounds due to a GI issue. On a pre-op physical I was so dehydrated that my electrolytes were almost zero. I started drinking Pedialyte. A week later they were back to normal although the GI issue remained for another 2 months. I also improved my hydration by drinking lots more water than I normally did.
Thanks man...like I mentioned...he is eating and drinking like a beast. Does Ensure etc. His appetite is on point for sure. Thanks for replying

Latest posts

Top Bottom